Law Dutch doctors allowed to sedate dementia patients before euthanasia injections

Gotta have strict regulations on this stuff otherwise you'll have a bunch of sociopaths offing their relatives to get the inheritents.

I had to watch my grandfather decline with dementia for a decade and when it started going south, he would literally say he'd rather die than to get worse. Years later, he was wasting away in hospice with no visitors because of covid. The last time I saw he couldn't speak, weighed 90 pounds, going through organ failure with no capacity to understand what he was going through.

I think, if someone wants to die before such illness can really tighten its grip, they should be allowed to do so.

I don't think anyone who says otherwise has any experience with family suffering from dementia.

My uncle spent his last months in paralyzing terror. My mother is on her way since her strokes, and has already asked me to kill her. I was given power of attorney to enforce a DNR when the time comes, which is as close to her wishes as I was willing to go.

Yeah this was fucked up when it happened. The Dutch supreme court overturned the murder charge because the patient had an advanced directive. Such directives are illegal in, for example, Canada because there is no such thing as advance consent. The idea being that consent has to be able to be revoked, otherwise it's not consent. In the Netherlands now, if you have dementia, you are legally not allowed to change your mind. That's fucking bonkers to me.

The Netherlands is a silly place full of silly people.
well, I believe you could also go there live there for a month or two and undergo assisted suicide for almost any reason, even if you are depressed. but this is a bit backward to me being that I feel we have the right and dignity to die when we want and this just gives and takes it away from you.

well, I believe you could also go there live there for a month or two and undergo assisted suicide for almost any reason, even if you are depressed. but this is a bit backward to me being that I feel we have the right and dignity to die when we want and this just gives and takes it away from you.
Why the fuck are you making assumptions. It's very clear in the Dutch law that the death wish may not stem from a psychiatric disorder. The only case where you can get euthanasia for depression is if you've had a lifetime of chronic depression and have tried every treatment in the book, and even then it's fairly hard to get it granted.

You guys act like you can walk into the doctor's office, ask for euthanasia and be dead the next week.

It's a difficult problem. If you believe that there's a right to euthanasia, then you have to figure out what to do in cases where people aren't able to decide anymore, e.g. becoming a vegetable or dementia etc. Do you then let people make a declaration before that time or not? If they made that decision, do you honor the decision from when they were able to reason soundly, or do you take whatever state they are in during their far progression into dementia?

It's not like we're killing people for fun over here.

Assuming that it's medically assessed at a certain level of demetia then I'd sign up for this now tbh.

I don't think anyone who says otherwise has any experience with family suffering from dementia.

My uncle spent his last months in paralyzing terror. My mother is on her way since her strokes, and has already asked me to kill her. I was given power of attorney to enforce a DNR when the time comes, which is as close to her wishes as I was willing to go.

I'm sorry to hear that :(

If you are of sound mind and decide you want to die when you are not of sound mind then you have made an informed choice. there is a strict definition of of incompetence and when you reach it, you will have no idea who you are or what is going on anymore. I wish I had this option in the United States. Nursing homes are filled with people who cannot eat, cannot speak, and have no idea what is going on around them. Many live in a waking nightmare where they don't know who they are or where they are, and what is happening to them. Euthanasia is illegal because of lobbying from people who own nursing homes. Would love to see what investments certain right to lifers are in.

Why the fuck are you making assumptions. It's very clear in the Dutch law that the death wish may not stem from a psychiatric disorder. The only case where you can get euthanasia for depression is if you've had a lifetime of chronic depression and have tried every treatment in the book, and even then it's fairly hard to get it granted.

You guys act like you can walk into the doctor's office, ask for euthanasia and be dead the next week.

It's a difficult problem. If you believe that there's a right to euthanasia, then you have to figure out what to do in cases where people aren't able to decide anymore, e.g. becoming a vegetable or dementia etc. Do you then let people make a declaration before that time or not? If they made that decision, do you honor the decision from when they were able to reason soundly, or do you take whatever state they are in during their far progression into dementia?

It's not like we're killing people for fun over here.
Idk I've actually emailed doctors over there about their Termination of Life on Request and Assisted Suicide Act

I have seen what dementia does. Feel free to put me down if I am in the same situation. There is zero quality of life.

This reminds me of Iceland where they have gotten rid of Down syndrome by pressuring women with Down fetuses to abort them.

How is this a wrong policy?

PS: Patient with Dementia doesn't want to die. How surprising.
I sure prefer the streets of the USA where plenty of mentally ill people are just roaming around waiting to hurt themselves and others.

How is this a wrong policy?

PS: Patient with Dementia doesn't want to die. How surprising.
I sure prefer the streets of the USA where plenty of mentally ill people are just roaming around waiting to hurt themselves and others.

Because there is inherent value in all human life for one thing.

And I guess it sounds like you think if it is socially inconvenient for a person to live they should die?
Went to war came back mentally ill well no more use for you so time for the needle.
Job got sent overseas and you took a dangerous low paying job to get by and then got hurt and got addicted to pain pills. No more use for you time to die.
Back when this country was great we had asylums to help people. Now people are wondering why people with mental illness should even be allowed to live.

Back