Dustin > Tony

Discussion in 'UFC Discussion' started by RockyLockridge, Apr 14, 2019.

1. RockyLockridge

RockyLockridge Red Belt

I know we all talk about tonys fantastic, very violent and highly entertaining winstreak at LW as something of a crowning achievement in such a talent stacked division. Truly a remarkable feat. I do not want to detract from tony Ferguson, he's on one of the most ENTERTAINING winning streaks of all time, but i do have to euthanize that word. "entertaining".

While entertainment value is something of a subjective matter, I have no qualms with anyone who says Tony's fights are better. I'm not going to debate peoples opinion, but if both dustin and max were healthy and could fight khabib at the next UFC PPV, There is no doubt in mind That it would have to be Dustin.

Dustins most recent wins, are just simply higher quality wins than the ones tony has had. Ever. Alverez, Gaethje and Holloway are all better wins than ANY win Tony has in his streak. Those are 3 top 5 ranked fighters and one of them is a top p4p fighter and Current UFC champion. also to top it off, I feel as if he faced much less adversity in obtaining these wins than tony did in some of his, getting rocked and dropped in most all of his fights (lando, Kevin lee, Pettis)

I understand that everyone WANTS to see khabib vs tony because of all the build up, but IMO, Tony's claim at number was surpassed last night. In my mind, he is now comfortably behind dustin.

2. bongwater

bongwater Blue Belt

3. Tap machine

Tap machine Dustin will beat Khabib by jumping guillotine

only one way to find out...

ask Sherdog

4. Tomas

Tomas Brown Belt

Poirier definitely has better defense, that's for sure. A guy like Holloway who is so precise had some trouble landing clean in a 5 round fight

5. CrimsonFan

CrimsonFan Gold Belt

Yeah I can agree with that.

People hold previous losses against him too much. Hes been impressing me every fight more and more. Hes really found himself. Tony is also impressive but he kinda strikes me as lucky to be where hes at with how much damage he takes.

Also, none of Dustin's losses are even close to losing to Danny fuckin Castillo, and i dont care what you say he lost that shit.

6. HNIC215

HNIC215 Semper Fidelis...

Everyone is better than everyone else the day after a big win - Sherdog Logic 101

7. GiSP

GiSP Black Belt

[​IMG]

Tony should have accepted the fight.

8. Ladder Master

Ladder Master Black Belt

[​IMG]

Top shelf Tony is better than everyone except maybe Tiramasu.

9. Only Here for Attachments

Only Here for Attachments Free from yellow thanks to my state's congress

Tony would have a way easier path to break Dustin than Max ever would.

10. Nightwish

Nightwish Brown Belt

They both would get tagged a lot, thats for sure. I think Tony relies too much on his chin. Someday it wont hold up and he would end flatlined.

11. ixRanGzeNxi

ixRanGzeNxi Yellow Card Yellow Card

Poirier's wins over Gaethje and Eddie are relevant, but his win over Max? I mean...Max isn't even ranked at LW and it was his first fight at LW (in the UFC). As far as rankings go, Tony's win over RDA(#2) is better than Gaethje(#6) and Eddie(#3).

Tony's 11-fight win streak (nearly 6 years!!) is right there with him even if you don't think it's "better".

I don't think Tony is definitively the more deserving fighter, but he sure as shit has earned it and should get it. I think it's laughable that 2 "former" FW's fought a rematch for the Interim belt that Tony already won. I know Tony turned that fight down, but he still owns more top 10 wins in his WIN streak than anyone else in the UFC ATM other than maybe the Champ Khabib (IIRC).

As far as LW rankings
    Tony's top wins:
    RDA - #2
    Barboza - #6
    Lee - #7
    Pettis - #8
    Thomson - #9.

Dustin's top wins:
    Max - Unranked
    Eddie - #3
    Gaethje - #6
    Pettis - #13

12. C0NCH3TO

C0NCH3TO Gold Belt

Easy breakdown to me. If Dustin doesnt put him out early (which he can considering how hard he hits and how often Tony gets clipped), Tony would go HAM on him as soon as he gasses out. The fight would not last much longer.

No chance in hell for Dustin to decision Tony, he must rock him and put him out EARLY. Its a toss up.

13. TapMachine

TapMachine Pretty Princess

Only one way to find out.

[​IMG]

14. Kvothe_the_kingkiller

Kvothe_the_kingkiller Blue Belt

RDA, Lee & Pettis vs Alvarez, Gaethje and Holloway.

It's not cut and dry. Especially if you look at the last 10 fights / 5 years and see that Dustin has a loss and Tony doesn't.

I wouldn't argue strongly with or against your opinion, TS. I'd only argue that it's not as clear as you're pretending it is.

They're both below Khabib and above Conor. IMO.

ixRanGzeNxi and jediMSTR_tom like this.
  15. LockardTheGOAT

LockardTheGOAT Sherdog's Intellectual Savior Yellow Card

Tony still has more wins than Dustin has and that includes former champions like RDA and Pettis. His victory over Pettis was more impressive than Dustin's victory over him. Who has Poirier beat that is so much better than anyone Tony's beat? Alvarez? Gaethje? I could counter that with RDA and Barboza.

Ferguson is still ahead of Poirier in my book, but regardless, he is the official #1 contender at this point.

hisandherpes likes this.
  16. RockyLockridge

RockyLockridge Red Belt

I never said even once that dustin would beat tony in a fight. Although i can understand why dustin > tony implies that. but really what i mean to say is dustin has emereged as the CLEAR no.1 155 pound contender.

17. RockyLockridge

RockyLockridge Red Belt

you forget that dustin beat pettis too and finished him while absorbing much less damage than tony did in his fight with pettis. Alverez is an all time greatest LW, Max an all time great FW. I don't think they are even close. Edson barboza is a top 10 LW and great fighter but his career accomplishments do not even compare to the people that dustin has beat as of late. He shouldn't be compared to Gaethje, Alverez and holloway. He's in the same respective league win wise as pettis.

I am your real dad likes this.
  18. Lawblaw

Lawblaw Black Belt

Dusting would probably win.. still a nightmare fight for both of them

19. RockyLockridge

RockyLockridge Red Belt

Favorite movie. bless up

20. Fedor Wearing A Fedora

Fedor Wearing A Fedora Blue Belt

Always liked Dustin but Tony would cut his face up so badly they’ll stop the fight from all the blood alone.