1. The official Sherdog Store is back! Check it out! » Discuss it here! »

Dustin Poirier's chances

Discussion in 'UFC Discussion' started by Kono dio da!, Nov 10, 2020.

1. Kono dio da! Giorno's Father

I really like Dustin. I despise Conor. It's only natural. One guy is cool, other nauseating. But i don't see Dustin winning. I think Dustin beats more top lightweights, but i just think stylistically he doesn't match up well with conor. I'm rooting for Dustin, but coping with the possibility of...

Anyway, according to you guys how likely is Dustin to win? How does he actually do it? On the ground he destroys conor, but he's no kevin lee, he's not a takedown threat like that, as far as i know. His striking has improved, but he has the tendency to fight reckless as well. He's durable, but so was Eddie. He has better cardio, but what good is it if you get knocked out early. I don't know. I'll pick dustin over any other top ten, but the conor fight just... Ion know. What defensive holes, tendencies etc do you guys see? Can dustin win?

2. Beherit Banned Banned

Dustin is a slow starter, conor is super strong in the 1st two rounds. It aint good for dustin. So i think conor should win.

But dustin seems to have a higher fighting IQ than 6 years ago, I doubt he ll try to brawl with conor in the 1st round like he did in the 1st fight. If he just stick to jabs, low kicks and making conor miss, he has a real chance, especially if he survives the 1st two rounds.

65 % conor / 35 % dustin for me.

3. Brca031 Samsquanch hunter

Dustin thinking he is much better will be his downfall...he started to believe into his crisp boxing and thats what got him stiffed against MJ.
    Look at this combination. He thought he was Conor and got dusted.
    [​IMG]

4. Kono dio da! Giorno's Father

Goddamn! That was bad.

Brca031 likes this.
  5. TCE TCE = The Corona Effect Pink Belt

{<jordan}

troll post.

pseto223 likes this.
  6. Virtually Identical Orange Belt

He’s already lost the fight mentally in my opinion

7. Kono dio da! Giorno's Father

Name one fighter who kevin wasn't able to take down with ease in the early goings of the match. You're the one who's trolling. He's, if nothing else, a formidable takedown artist. His other skills... Well... But his takedowns? Gosh.

Chael_Sonnen and rjmbrd like this.
  8. Kono dio da! Giorno's Father

Wait. What!? By virtue of losing the first one?

9. Medulla Omoplata Mayberry Comptroller

60/40 for Conor IMO.
    Dustin will have to weather that early storm and I don't know if he will be able to.

Conor is far from unbeatable as we've seen but I honestly favor him over the entire top 10 at the moment. Assuming he's still somewhat in his prime...the Cowboy fight wasn't a good test for that.

Sh0ckeh likes this.
  10. Virtually Identical Orange Belt

That, and it seems to me he’s only falling deeper and deeper into the mental fuckery conors already putting him through

KOPPE likes this.
  11. TerrorTimmy Three piece and a soda

Dustin has gotten a lot better. He's also been active. Conor really hasn't.

If Dustin fights smart I think he's got a great chance. But if I were going to place a bet, the only bet I would place is that the fight doesn't go the distance.

12. wisdom blows Gold Belt

Watching Hooker batter him the first two rounds, plus Conor’s previous KO weighing in his mind, I don’t give Dustin much of a chance.

Chael_Sonnen likes this.
  13. Kono dio da! Giorno's Father

Hope not.

14. ultramanhyata Reclimbing Like Mountain

I like Dustin as a human being. A lot. But this is going to be an easy payday and quick work for Conor IMO.

I don't believe Dustin has the Diaz-like chin that can eat a bunch of power shots and take this fight into a third round against a potentially gassed McGregor.

OmegaRugal and wisdom blows like this.
  15. wisdom blows Gold Belt

I also doubt Dustin “destroys” Conor on the ground. I’d say he is more skilled there, but Conor is no slouch at all. He did better against Khabib on the ground than many others.

16. Kono dio da! Giorno's Father

60/40 is fair. I just think it's a bad matchup for dustin.
    as for picking conor over the top ten? remember, conor's only path to victory is knockout. you're suggesting that he can knock Tony, felder, hooker, gaethje and Al Iaquinta out? I don't think so. can he outpoint some of these fools in a 3 rounder? absolutely. but i don't think he gets any of these guys up out of there. Dustin, Lee (unless Lee decides not to wrestle), Oliveira, CDF? Maybe. but the guys above? Fuck no. Whereas I'd pick Dustin via ko/tko or decision over all these fools EXCEPT Lee. Simply because it looks to me like he doesn't have the best TDD, which is a damn shame.

17. Virtually Identical Orange Belt

He’s putting him through bullshit and making him jump through hoops, this is all before the fights even been signed and the verbal barbs start coming poiriers way.

18. TCE TCE = The Corona Effect Pink Belt

Al Iaquinta. twice.

I like Lee but he is overrated on here.

Beherit and Jack Swilling like this.
  19. TempleoftheDog Red Belt

50/50. I really have no idea. Leaning towards Dustin just because of how Conor has polluted his mind, and body for years. He's not active, and his ego won't allow to admit he has faults, or weaknesses. Which means he likely hasn't addressed them.

Mmmmmmma1234 likes this.
  20. bleeder Blue Belt

Dustin has improved since they last fought (at FW). Conor hasn't fought in LW for over 2 years. That is all. Odds should be even honestly but casuals will pump McGregors odds like crazy, when IMO he should be a slight underdog, with his inactivity and all.

Mmmmmmma1234 likes this.