Media Dustin Poirier wants a 165 weight class. Is this a TIPPING POINT for Dana?

Who would be the 165-lb champion?

• Total voters
Fuck this. No more belts. Less is more in this case.
Every 170 champ in history could have made 165 if need be. 5lbs between weight classes? fuck no.
Just scrap a few classes and give it more depth.

A lot of fighters called for a 165 class people like Kevin Lee, Chael and a few other journeymen. They had no clout. You look up NEEDLE MOVER in the dictionary, and the DIAMOND will be front and center.

Will Dana toss a dog a bone?
giphy.gif

Does he think guys like Usman or Woodley or anyone else who is dominant at 170 wouldn't attempt 165

WW goes to 175 everything else stays the same

Probably gonna happen sooner or later. 195 too.

195 is, or at least should be, a lot less likely. There's not currently enough talent above MW to fill any new divisions.

165 makes sense because there's such a big jump between LW and WW, and both divisions have a ton of fighters. Even with a new division LW and WW would remain very deep.

First they need to close and finish the womens FW division.. its absoutley pointless and just wasting space.

Then yeah they should open a new 165 division BUT I really dislike 5 Ibs between classes, it will start to get stupid and confusing... because that won't be the end.. then everyone else will complain about needing a new weight class and it will never end. So I say move WW too 175.. WW is the only division that does not end in number 5.. makes sense to do that.

The one really annoying thing about boxing is the weightclasses.. few pounds between all divisions.. it gets to be a total clusterfuck and beyond confusing.. unless you are engrossed in it 365. You only know who the HW fighters are because thats simple lol.. everything else below gets very confusing and too much switching

If it does then it's silly to stop the 10 lb increments at 205.

What about 215, 225, 235 etc lol
Nah actually in smaller divisions you have way more quality fighters, 155, 165, 175 would be justified, everything after that would make sense but there isn't enough quality big guys since fighting is really a bad way to make money if you are big, strong and athletic.

195 is, or at least should be, a lot less likely. There's not currently enough talent above MW to fill any new divisions.

165 makes sense because there's such a big jump between LW and WW, and both divisions have a ton of fighters. Even with a new division LW and WW would remain very deep.
Again, this will happen *eventually*. Ten years, twenty years maybe. As the sport grows the talent pool will also grow.

I just hope they have the sense to call 195 Franklinweight

You have 155 and 170. This is only 15 pounds apart. So what is the reasoning for a weight class only 5 pounds removed from 170? 165 is seriously going to fill up with great contenders that don't want to fight at 70 or 55? No. So let this go..

Colby or Khabib would be champ.

Seriously tho, we should ban weight cutting. It is so incredibly stupid;. Just put more classes in. We will get more fights, fighters will be healthier and we will get better fights. Is there any argument for weight cutting that makes sense? I have yet to heard any.

Too many weight classes already

Yes. And Flyweight is basically dead.. They let MM walk.

I am old school, and even though I was a big fan of Cruz I would have NO problem with only these classes.

I'm good. Lets face it most guys fighting at 45 and 35 are cutting shit tons of weight. These guys walk at like 170..

If he hasn't lost a step from his recent WW run, a catchweight fight between Dustin and RDA would be bomb

Then I guess WW will move up to 175, then MM to 190, LHW to 210 and time to add Cruiserweight at 230 and more than 230 to 265 or more is HW.

Flyweight: 125
Bantamweight: 135
Featherweight: 145
Lightweight: 155
Light Welterweight: 165
Welterweight: 175
Middleweight: 190
Light Heavyweight: 210
Cruiserweight: 230
Heavyweight: 230+

Forum statistics

Threads