Media Dustin Poirier wants a 165 weight class. Is this a TIPPING POINT for Dana?

Who would be the 165-lb champion?

• Total voters
They cant make a 165 without rearranging the remainder - because then what do you do with WW, does that become 175 or 180? Then what do you do with MW, etc
I think you split Welterweight into Super and Junior welter. Or rename 175 as middleweight, make 185 cruiserweight, and keep lhw name for 205.

Poirier has a lot of demands for a guy who is irrelevant at this point. And was only ever relevant for like a month.

He knows he can't beat the best so diluting the weight classes is the only way he could ever be champion.

And lol @ Colby not being a poll option.

lol at Colby not being on this list

Hard to argue that that he doesn't beat most of these guys pretty easily
My thoughts exactly. He has a perfect frame for 165. He was my first thought before opening the thread

Conor said that as well and basically Dana told em to fuck off, nobody else has that kind of pull

i say the best thing to do is make a 165lb division and change WW from 170 to 175lbs that way there's a 10lb difference between all the divisions below 205

If they add 165 then 170 should become 175.

145, 155, 165, 175, 185 makes more sense than 145, 155, 165, 170, 185

No 155 and 170 would be weaker then you just have 3 different weak divisions around the same general size

I agree there should be a 165 (& 175) division,

with a rule against switching divisions for champ/champ fights.

For example;

"A division champ cannot hold a belt AND switch divisions,
within the first three defenses or within 18 months of winning the belt."

Alternatively, they can simply keep their champ status on paper for negotiations in contracts, but if they decide to switch divisions, it is consider a super fight under specific clauses.
1- neither belt is on the line in a champ vs champ scenerio
2- a challenger may challenge for a belt, but may not switch divisions without giving up the belt (whether already holding, or future win)

Basically, you could have guys like Conor, GSP, etc... whom become bigger NAMES than the division belt. They would be contracted to super fights instead of championships, which require defenses.

Makes sense for everyone involved,
because we don't buy belts, we buy fights.

Keeps a clear path for the young guns striving to be champions,
and opens up the concept of "fan fights"/"super fights"/"money fights" for what I would consider "LEGEND" fights.

GSP should be allowed to fight anyone he wants without a belt even being an option, because ultimately, once you're in the top 5, belts mean nothing.
It is nonsense, nobody in the HW division went on a Fedor streak.
Nobody has gone on the Nick Diaz streak (losses only by decision, never subbed or KO'd, don't start on the Noons debacle or JJ tko, it was early days and revenged twice since, he earned the point he made).

Some guys will never hold a title, some guys it's the wrong timing,
some deserve a shot to try when the division is being held up.

Most real fans, don't give a shit about rankings and titles,
we are here to watch the sport.
Personally, I still prefer amateur marital arts events over UFC.

Nick Diaz vs Anderson Silva was just as interesting as Isreal vs Silva.
People praised that izzy fight, where I found it predictable and boring with very little risks taken. Seemed like the Diaz fight all over again, but Nick was ten times more entertaining. When Nick laid down, nobody was thinking about a champion belt, we were watching a great matchup happen much too late in both their careers. It was delayed for the fans because of the ranking structure for divisions/champions.

Fans should pressure fighters to get behind Dustin on this.

I'd rather see more fights than wait months for Tony/Khabib for the fifth time.

155 165 175 185. Add a weight class, move welterweight to 175. Done.

Even better would be 155 165 175 190 205, but that would require bumping welterweight and middleweight up by 5 pounds each.

Meh. I don't see the point, personally.

The only weight class rearrangement shenanigans that ever made some sense to me would be renaming the current Light Heavyweight to Cruiserweight and then making a new LHW division that's at 225 or so. Then make HW unlimited.

Conor / Cowboy for example, should be at 165.

It is the most pointless matchup in the world, and has no weight on the WW division, nor the LW division. Cowboy isn't next for Khabib, and we all know it.

At this point, it's like matching up Justin G against Masvidal.

Don't sideline fights (& fighters) because of injuries & ramadan.

If a fighter is ready to fight,
don't hold up their career because of other fighter's personal situations.

Keep the sport moving.

165 is still a great idea. Just push ww to 175.

Porrier ain't gonna be the one to make it happen.

Pointless. The same guys they can’t beat now will also move, it’ll be the same thing with one more interim belt because of guys trying for double champ status.

<DisgustingHHH>
This isn't boxing, we don't need a weight class for every gram.

Shame on professional athletes who cut weight to gain an advantage over smaller guys and still call on the promotion to make more weight classes for them. Fight at your natural weight or get better at the sport.

Gives khabob a way to fake goat status without moving up to where real wrestlers are. No way
well colby is according to his fanboys a Featherweight, so he could make 165 no ??? khabib vs colby 165 !

Back