Media Dustin Poirier: I favor Gaethje. Chandler is going to have a hard time getting him down

Poirer went legit life and death with Hooker in a razor thin decision.

Chandler cartoon knocked out Hooker in the first round after treating him like his 12 year old little cousin.

Why in the world would Chandler need to get anybody down to win? He has spectacular KO power. He nearly put away the current champ too. Aside from getting smashed by Khabib, the two best guys JG fought were Poirer and Alvarez. The both knocked him out in dog fights.

I mostly agree with what you’re saying but Gaethje has cleaned up his striking and become a lot more selective and patient with his offense. I would favor Chandler against the brawling Justin of old but not Gaethje 2.0.

Lol dustin dont want a fight with chandler, expecting justin to take him out.

Gaethje might be the worst match up for Chandler in the division. Hard not to still favor Chandler though. He's probably the hardest hitter in the division and probably faster too.

Toss up fight, both dudes have power.

Poirer went legit life and death with Hooker in a razor thin decision.

Chandler cartoon knocked out Hooker in the first round after treating him like his 12 year old little cousin.

Why in the world would Chandler need to get anybody down to win? He has spectacular KO power. He nearly put away the current champ too. Aside from getting smashed by Khabib, the two best guys JG fought were Poirer and Alvarez. The both knocked him out in dog fights.

Chandler is a glass canon..Gaethje can take shots from him, the reverse is not true.

Odd brining up Eddie and Poirier to dimish Justin somehow when Will Brooks owns Chandler's soul.

I am not even trying to shit on Mike, he is a good fighter, good wrestling, fast hands and KO power. I just dont think he can take the punishment Gaethje is going to dish out.

Not sure he does, Khabib although he’s levels above everyone else in grappling really exposed Gaethje, shown if you get behind him he’s easily taken down. And when he’s on the ground Khabib cut through him like a hot knife through butter. It almost looked as if Gaethje did not prepare for the ground game at all
You have to keep in mind that Khabib had to fight like hell to close the distance, Gaethje was on high alert for takedowns making him more passive, and khabib makes everyone look like they have no ground game.

Justin's scrambling TDD should work well for him in this fight given how Chandler doesn't approach takedowns like Khabib does

JG got knocked out in dog fights against the two toughest guys he fought. I'm excluding Khabib because he's in a class his own.

Tony has been completely dominated bell to bell in his last two, which colors his fight with JG differently. He's looking shot. That shot Tony still knocked JG down like a sack of potatoes in the first round.

This fight is a legit pickem. Chandler looked incredible against Hooker and has freak power and speed still. He nearly put away Do Bronx too. JG is hittable and has 2 KO losses in his short UFC career. There is no real reason to pick him as the favorite.

One thing you keep mentioning is DOG fights. Justin has a good chin and solid durability. He also drags others into those type of fights. Chandler has the worse durability and suspect chin. Has been KO more times that Justin and has a weakness for leg kicks.

It's a winnable fight for both but on paper it's one of Chandlers worst match ups

Hooker was afraid of the takedown. and caught him flush. It was a clean shot. Charles doesn't fight well on the backfoot and moves linear with little head movement, so does chandler. Gaethje has lateral movement and moves his head better.

Just imagine if charles circled out instead of hopping back

Oliveira-Takedown.gif

Yep. I'm a huge fan of charles. I hope his camp is aware of this weakness and puts a lot of work into improving it. Making that small adjustment would really level up his defence.

I think Chandler has a chance to win, I just don't see why someone would pick him over Gaethje... Gaethje got has been KO'd after multiple rounds of hell, I don't see Chandler being able to survive like Poirier or Alvarez can
Gaethjes record to me anyway perhaps indicates that he has a tendency to stargaze meaning I'm not sure how clutch he is in big name performance
I know it's Khabib but I didn't like what I was hearing in his corner between rounds
Chandler to me seems more steel trap

mental to me is huge here

Not sure he does, Khabib although he’s levels above everyone else in grappling really exposed Gaethje, shown if you get behind him he’s easily taken down. And when he’s on the ground Khabib cut through him like a hot knife through butter. It almost looked as if Gaethje did not prepare for the ground game at all
He looked like a fawn being chased down by a Komodo dragon

Gaethjes record to me anyway perhaps indicates that he has a tendency to stargaze meaning I'm not sure how clutch he is in big name performance
I know it's Khabib but I didn't like what I was hearing in his corner between rounds
Chandler to me seems more steel trap

mental to me is huge here
I disagree, maybe a bit in the Khabib fight, but at that point, everyone had that against Khabib. His losses against Alvarez and Poirier were just him breaking first, and he was more green than them at the time.

I don't think it's a mental problem with Chandler, I just think he physically gasses out very early... I just don't see him outlasting Gaethje... his only chance is an early finish

I disagree, maybe a bit in the Khabib fight, but at that point, everyone had that against Khabib. His losses against Alvarez and Poirier were just him breaking first, and he was more green than them at the time.

I don't think it's a mental problem with Chandler, I just think he physically gasses out very early... I just don't see him outlasting Gaethje... his only chance is an early finish
It might be too early to say that I agree but it gives me trepidation in saying Gaethje has this in the bag

lot of dudes here saying 'I have no idea why anyone would favor Chandler here ...."

well this does

It might be too early to say that I agree but it gives me trepidation in saying Gaethje has this in the bag

lot of dudes here saying 'I have no idea why anyone would favor Chandler here ...."

well this does
It's not that I think Gaethje has it in the bag, I just don't see why someone would favor Chandler over him

Of course he will, because he beat Gaethje, that will look better if Gaethje wins. And he would have a reason to duck Gaethje if he beats Oliveira and if he wins the title.

He is right about Gaethje is hard to take down with wrestling, but if he gets a takedown somehow, then Chandler can sub him.

Probably that's why Chandler wanted to fight Gaethje, instead of Islam. He knew there is something that he could do there.

If it's strictly stand up fight, I would favor Gaethje too. But, that ''but'' is the tough part, both if Oliveira, Dariush or even Chandler has chance to sub Gaethje if they take him down.
Chandler isn't gonna sub Gaethje lmao, the only reason people are saying that is because of the Khabib fight

Yeah as good as Chandler is, I don't see how anyone would favor him against Gaethje

Agree. Chandler is good but I think he’s a dog against the elite.

Hooker has a good chin but leaves it way too exposed (Charles does too honestly). Guys with responsible chin tucking and head movement probably won’t drop as easily. And Chandler’s chin looks a little shaky to be engaging in the kind of war it typically takes to get someone like DP or JG out of there.

Chandler isn't gonna sub Gaethje lmao, the only reason people are saying that is because of the Khabib fight
Because Chandler is good on the ground?

time stamp: 2:04:45

He has first round submission wins without even hurting his opponent with striking first.

I respect Poirier’s candid insights when interviewed. Always willing to acknowledge what opponents did well. McGregor’s effective left cross, leg kicks from Miller and Gaethje, etc.

He should do some media in some capacity (I think in studio or a podcast with a non-fighter co-host to do most of the babbling would be best).

Because Chandler is good on the ground?

time stamp: 2:04:45

He has first round submission wins without even hurting his opponent with striking first.

Against a can hahahahahhaa, that dude is 16-10 and lost 3 of his 4 fights previous to the one with Chandler. Typical Bellator matchmaking

Chandler has good submission defense, not good submissions

What i dont understand is this fight is booked so long away, whereas the rumored costa v vettori fight is sooner..

Back