Media Dustin Poirier: I favor Gaethje. Chandler is going to have a hard time getting him down

I don’t see Chandler having anything for Gaethje bar an out of nowhere KO.

Poirer went legit life and death with Hooker in a razor thin decision.

Chandler cartoon knocked out Hooker in the first round after treating him like his 12 year old little cousin.

Why in the world would Chandler need to get anybody down to win? He has spectacular KO power. He nearly put away the current champ too. Aside from getting smashed by Khabib, the two best guys JG fought were Poirer and Alvarez. The both knocked him out in dog fights.
Because hes extremely hittable and not as durable. Thats also not.looking at Gaethje being just a better striker.

Because hes extremely hittable and not as durable. Thats also not.looking at Gaethje being just a better striker.
Gaethje might be the better striker but Hooker doesn't get hit more than Justin, and has shown as much if not more durability than Justin. Thats the only time he's ever been knocked out.

Usman will train Gaethje for this fight. He knows Chandler inside out.

is this even happening anyway? imo, chandler or gaethje should have to fight dariush, dudes on a big win streak.

these guys in the top 2-3 spots want to play hot potato and avoid putting their ranking on the line. chandler came in to the ufc and got hooker IMMEDIATELY, followed by a title shot after a single UFC win. gaethje hasn't fought since the khabib loss - is he gonna try to win 1 fight and ask for another title shot? thats lame

one of these guys should have to sign on and fight dariush now that islam and rda are off the board and we got that fight

I thought gaejthe wouldve opened up a bigger favorite than -140. I mean , not that much more , around another 30 cents ....... which is significant.

I definitely favor Justin at this point but it appears to be a close fight.

I'm actually favouring Chandler in this one.

Don't even know why but I think he will get the (t)KO.

JG got knocked out in dog fights against the two toughest guys he fought. I'm excluding Khabib because he's in a class his own.

Tony has been completely dominated bell to bell in his last two, which colors his fight with JG differently. He's looking shot. That shot Tony still knocked JG down like a sack of potatoes in the first round.

This fight is a legit pickem. Chandler looked incredible against Hooker and has freak power and speed still. He nearly put away Do Bronx too. JG is hittable and has 2 KO losses in his short UFC career. There is no real reason to pick him as the favorite.
To be fair Tony did cut weight twice then got KO’d that can’t be good for your brain.

Gaethje might be the better striker but Hooker doesn't get hit more than Justin, and has shown as much if not more durability than Justin. Thats the only time he's ever been knocked out.
Justin and Hooker fight nothing alike.

I'm not sure. I don't think he'll land clean, because he has to come in, his reach is slightly shorter than gaethje. It's possible, but I don't think he's going to land clean, he has to land a clean shot. Gaethje jsut has to land a hard shot. Not even clean.

You make a valid point, and Geathje is a super durable guy despite being finished a few times.

But Chandler mitigated a reach disadvantage against a very durable Hooker, and blew him out with his explosive power and ability to close the distance.

Charlie Olives is also a tall rangy lightweight, and Chandler reached him and almost took him out as well.

It will be a great fight, and I am honestly having a hard time making a pick.

After watchin Gaethje panic against Khabib I see no reason as to why Chandler doesn't take him down and pound him out of he wants to lol
Most likely reason is because he can't

After how bad Justin's TDD and grappling last looked, that's a weird call.

This fight boils down to Chandler's chin.

Chandler cartoon knocked out Hooker in the first round after treating him like his 12 year old little cousin.

Why in the world would Chandler need to get anybody down to win? He has spectacular KO power. He nearly put away the current champ too. Aside from getting smashed by Khabib, the two best guys JG fought were Poirer and Alvarez. The both knocked him out in dog fights.
Very interesting point of view. I can’t say I disagree with any of it. I hope this fight doesn’t fall through so we get some questions answered.

I wonder if Gaethje has been working on his ground game because he looked like he had next to never trained it before the Khabib fight. I know Khabib is a great grappler but Gaethje looked like he had no idea what to even attempt to do. Now that people realize one takedown is enough to win the fight they are going to fight him differently.

Edit: and yes I know Khabib had two takedowns but the first was at the end of the round.

Last edited:
I see Chandler getting gassed and eventually getting tkoed

Chandler is also quite chinny and if Gaethje tags him, he’s likely going out.. still, while I favor Gaethje, this fight is as close to 50/50 as any we’ve had recently

You make a valid point, and Geathje is a super durable guy despite being finished a few times.

But Chandler mitigated a reach disadvantage against a very durable Hooker, and blew him out with his explosive power and ability to close the distance.

Charlie Olives is also a tall rangy lightweight, and Chandler reached him and almost took him out as well.

It will be a great fight, and I am honestly having a hard time making a pick.
Hooker was afraid of the takedown. and caught him flush. It was a clean shot. Charles doesn't fight well on the backfoot and moves linear with little head movement, so does chandler. Gaethje has lateral movement and moves his head better.

Just imagine if charles circled out instead of hopping back

Oliveira-Takedown.gif

Back