1. The official Sherdog Store is back! Check it out! » Discuss it here! »

Media Dustin Poirier: I favor Gaethje. Chandler is going to have a hard time getting him down

Discussion in 'UFC Discussion' started by Peli, Aug 2, 2021.

1. Peli Silver Belt

“I kind of favor Gaethje in that matchup,” Poirier said on American Top Team’s “Punchin’ In” podcast. “Chandler is going to have trouble getting him down, holding him down and to avoid those big shots.”

“Gaethje probably, he partially tore my quad,” Poirier said on the hardest leg kicker he’s faced. “In the fight, him not caring about position and throwing kicks as hard as he can just to land them, not worrying about repercussions – no setups.”

transcribed by mma junkie

Last edited: Aug 3, 2021
    taugrim, MDoza, Poirierfan and 3 others like this.
  2. Orochimaru 大蛇丸 Silver Belt Platinum Member

Yeah as good as Chandler is, I don't see how anyone would favor him against Gaethje

3. GreatSaintGuillotine You may not like what I say but it's the truth.

Yeah. It'll be a good look for Justin if he can just stuff Chandler and put him out.

fortheo likes this.
  4. First Day UFC Intern Yellow Belt

Unless you knocked out or finished Gaethje, his leg kicks will be there all night.

Almost finishes Poirier via leg kick but the Diamond is too tough

5. rjmbrd Gold Belt

Poirer went legit life and death with Hooker in a razor thin decision.

Chandler cartoon knocked out Hooker in the first round after treating him like his 12 year old little cousin.

Why in the world would Chandler need to get anybody down to win? He has spectacular KO power. He nearly put away the current champ too. Aside from getting smashed by Khabib, the two best guys JG fought were Poirer and Alvarez. The both knocked him out in dog fights.

6. Orochimaru 大蛇丸 Silver Belt Platinum Member

Yeah, but if he doesn't get a 1st round KO he is fucked, and that's gonna be hard to do against Gaethje

Goldentrophy and drbolony like this.
  7. ShreddinMMA Gold Belt

I think this is a bit of a pic em fight. I favour Gaethje for his durability but he gets caught plenty and Chandler is a big puncher.

8. rjmbrd Gold Belt

JG got knocked out in dog fights against the two toughest guys he fought. I'm excluding Khabib because he's in a class his own.

Tony has been completely dominated bell to bell in his last two, which colors his fight with JG differently. He's looking shot. That shot Tony still knocked JG down like a sack of potatoes in the first round.

This fight is a legit pickem. Chandler looked incredible against Hooker and has freak power and speed still. He nearly put away Do Bronx too. JG is hittable and has 2 KO losses in his short UFC career. There is no real reason to pick him as the favorite.

9. First Day UFC Intern Yellow Belt

You know Gaethje's stock has coming down so low after Khabib fight,

but to me Gaethje is still dangerous matchup for everyone except for Dustin and Islam, what Gaethje did to Tony is the result of good footwork and his ability to take less damage (less brawl and war) while inflicting some of his in comparison to his old fighting style.

Chandler probably will get cracked if he tries to emulate what Khabib did to Gaethje.
    Agree

Satan's Daddy., rjmbrd and mkt like this.
  10. rjmbrd Gold Belt

Frankly, I think Tony is shot and the fact that he was completely dominated literally bell to bell in his next two fights should color his bout with JG differently. That just wasn't the same Tony from a few years back, we've seen it a million times in MMA.

Chandler doesn't need to emulate Khabib, although he is unequivocally the better MMA grappler. I think he can bang just as well as Alvarez can, and he took him out in a dog fight.

My point is this should be a pick-em. JG nearly got murdered by Michael Johnson.

Last edited: Aug 3, 2021
  11. Boss HM-2 Banned Banned

After watchin Gaethje panic against Khabib I see no reason as to why Chandler doesn't take him down and pound him out of he wants to lol

12. Kha'bless Purple Belt

You think Chandler can eat Justin's shots that Khabib did? Dude got KO'd by Charlie Olives.

The-AxeMurderer likes this.
  13. Boss HM-2 Banned Banned

You think Gaethje can eat the shots Charles did? Those shots were harder than Poirer or Eddie lol

Alanf7 likes this.
  14. Peli Silver Belt

You think he Chandler can eat this?

Ruthfella and OldCasualBoxer like this.
  15. Kha'bless Purple Belt

Nice try but your premise was Chandler can do what Khabib did, Khabib never threw bombs at Justin whilst walking him down but Justin was throwing his own bombs.

Chandler's leg has already spazzed out from legs kicks before and been KO'd multiple times, good chance of Justin doing the business here.

16. Boss HM-2 Banned Banned

Just was scared shitless of being taken down, he exposed himself. Loling @ Chandler vs Primus as your reasoning for those leg kicks to work.

I do think Chandler can take Justin down. No reason to think otherwise.

17. Boss HM-2 Banned Banned

Yeah, the hook Charles hit him with was insane and he wasn't even out lol, he was laughing

18. FEDORFAN44 Purple Belt

Im picking gaethje by tko in the 3rd.With that being said it is still a very close fight and could see chandler winning.very excited about this pairing

taugrim likes this.
  19. Peli Silver Belt

it took Khabib walking through the fire to talk Gaethje down. I don't see michael doing that. I see at best he can time gaethje and knock gaethje down on his ass, but if gaethje hits his shots, it's a wrap. Gaethje doesn't hit ngannou hard, but he hits harder than oliveira and looks like he hits harder than pitbull. So gaethje can touch him and chandler go to sleep. CHandler sucks at scrambling while woozy compared to other elite fighters right now.

taugrim and JonJonesNeedle like this.
  20. Substance Abuse Forum Moderator Staff Member Forum Moderator

People thinking Gaethje is the same guy that fought Michael Johnson is hilarious. Them also thinking that Chandler has the chin to eat the shots that Eddie or Dustin did from Gaethje aren't thinking straight. Those thinking that because Khabib made Gaethje look horrible as a grappler and that Chandler will, have lost their fucking minds.

Chandler has a shot here because he hits hard, but Gaethje has a good chin has a tendency to get hurt when he's exhausted more than anything else. He's shown that he's more composed now and since Mike is a glass cannon, he either finds a quick knockout or gets picked apart and finished. He isn't going to push forward consistently like Khabib to negate the striking disadvantage he is at. He doesn't have the chin Khabib does. He isn't the wrestler he is. Justin's stock is at an all time low. I expect him to win this fight.

I hope this is five rounds. It really should be.

taugrim, BooBoyMan, Safton and 4 others like this.