News Dustin Poirier hospitalized with Staph Infection now with Video.

i dont really get staph infections, what are they, never really heard of them outside of the US/UFC in my life

and WTF...common in wrestlers or child care workers....

methicillin resistant staphylococcus aureus is hell of a bug

Better half is in the health field MRSA or 'Mersa' is a terrible strain of staph and one of the most infectious.
Personally I've been in the trades 20+ years and rolled around and 'wallered in some nasty ass shit. Never had any type of staph infection ever, far as I know no one I can remeber ever contracting Mersa in the field - talkin' about guys that rub some dirt on it and wrap it with electrical tape

I have always wondered how in the hell these fighters constantly develop staph infections so easily.
What's the deal with fighters contracting staph at a seemingly higher rate than average? And it seems like a constant occurrence.

Speedy recovery to the Diamond!

<RomeroSalute>

As someone who fought MRSA for over a year to get clear... Yea fekk that shit. Had a softball sided abscess under my left arm (the worst one). Highly dangerous location...

Pretty sure I picked it up at a lab test with a local hospital but no idea.

MRSA

<CanYouSeeMeNow>

MRSA (Methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus) ..

https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/mrsa/symptoms-causes/syc-20375336

... "Another type of MRSA infection has occurred in the wider community — among healthy people. This form, community-associated MRSA (CA-MRSA), often begins as a painful skin boil. It's usually spread by skin-to-skin contact. At-risk populations include groups such as high school wrestlers, child care workers and people who live in crowded conditions."
Did you confirm it's MRSA? That's way worse than regular staph. A few of the dirty birds I served with picked it up. I had to drain and pack that shit, it's disgusting.

Did you confirm it's MRSA? That's way worse than regular staph. A few of the dirty birds I served with picked it up. I had to drain and pack that shit, it's disgusting.

I did not read the medical report, no, but the definition of "MRSA" is Methicillin-resistant staph infection ... and since Dustin's staph infection is resisting antibiotics, I formed this as a reasonable hypothesis of what the problem likely is.

I did not read the medical report, no, but the definition of "MRSA" is Methicillin-resistant staph infection ... and since Dustin's staph infection is resisting antibiotics, I formed this as a reasonable hypothesis of what the problem likely is.
I wasn't being a smartass man, just asking if it was confirmed anywhere if it's MRSA, that shit is serious. A bad case of Staph can resist antibiotics too depending on how much it has spread. Only way to confirm is a blood panel. That's why I'm asking.

BadPresentIbizanhound-size_restricted.gif

could be MRSA, could be another strain of staph. nobody knows. probably mrsa though. there is also VRSA (vancomycin resistant staph aureus)

there are oral antibiotics that treat MRSA like doxycycline, bactrim, clindamycin. but yeah when staph gets bad you don't want to play around and wait for those to take effect. you need abx directly in your blood stream asap. contrary to popular belief MRSA is common and many people just have it on their skin with no issues. if you swab most hospital workers noses they will be positive for MRSA.

I had staph for the first time in my life 3 months ago. They cut into it, gave me antibiotics and sent me home. 6 days later I'm in the worst pain ever and back at the Hospital, it got super bad and gross. This time they kept me in the Hospital running the strongest antibiotic they had from an IV after cutting it out again. My fever got to almost 102 and I was sick as shit in pain on those antibiotics. They sent me home after 3 days with even more antibiotics and thank God it got better. I didn't know how bad that stuff could get (I always just heard). Hoping Poirier gets better soon and they find the right antibiotics for the bacteria.

PS: I got pics but that shit was too gross for even me to look at. Lol

Last edited:
Back