News Dustin Poirier: 'Dana, send me the right contract. Stop playing games!'

Dustin trying to avoid going the cowboy route.

honestly wherefore you like mcgregor or not, there’s a good chance he could starch poirer in minutes, and send his stock down just like cowboy
Like Cowboy had any stock or momentum before that fight. He got paid to make McGregor look good nothing else.

I'd *really* like to see Poirier vs McG at 155lbs in January.

Why do I think that this fight is *not* actually going to happen? I think Conor is just using Poirier as a negotiation tool or something. I do not see Conor McGregor actually signing and turning up to fight the 2020 version of Dustin Poirier at 155lbs. His history shows this to be the likely outcome.

My view is that McG will fight someone else. Probably another uber-tedious McG vs Nate Diaz III.
McG is a ducker par excellence.

I'd be very happy to be proved wrong on that if this fight actually does happen under UFC rules (no silly exhibition fight).
Diaz 3 will be there even if Conor starts losing & still be big... so there's no sense doing that after a win. To your point though, maybe he's just using it for alt reasons with no intention of fighting Portier.

What's top on my wtf list, is that last March or April, Dana said that it would be really hard to give up a McGregor gate during shutdowns. Mac makes 18 mill gates... compared to the standard 2 mill or less. So why now all of a sudden the UFC wants to book him at the height of flu season where you know there won't be any gates just yet.

My point is that I agree this is a ruse... but I think it's due to just keeping his name in the media & on the tip of everyone's tongue than the idea that he's going to actually try & fight anyone while lockdowns are happening.

It seems conors mythical red panty night was all a figment of his imagination.
Cerrone got paid peanuts to fight him and they don't even want to break dustin off any extra.
Yeah I’m starting to think Diaz got his payday because he’s marketable plus he best conor, and Alvarez got paid to be the handover guy. Everyone else probably just got their normal pay lol

Diaz 3 will be there even if Conor starts losing & still be big... so there's no sense doing that after a win. To your point though, maybe he's just using it for alt reasons with no intention of fighting Portier.

What's top on my wtf list, is that last March or April, Dana said that it would be really hard to give up a McGregor gate during shutdowns. Mac makes 18 mill gates... compared to the standard 2 mill or less. So why now all of a sudden the UFC wants to book him at the height of flu season where you know there won't be any gates just yet.

My point is that I agree this is a ruse... but I think it's due to just keeping his name in the media & on the tip of everyone's tongue than the idea that he's going to actually try & fight anyone while lockdowns are happening.
yes that makes sense about the gate. Keeps his name in the picture, keeps him visible.

And it would tie in if the UFC sent Poirier a contract with a LOWER amount of money on it, and that would explain what Poirier said by "send me the right contract". So....yes.... it's perfectly logical to think that UFC has NO intention of scheduling a McGregor fight right now with COVID still rampant. So they're dicking Poirier around. That's a shame as Poirier has been nothing but a class act his entire fight career and he is a solid dependable fighter who shows up and puts on GREAT fights. I mean look at the Poirier vs Hooker fight : That was astonishingly good, and long, and violent.

Wish UFC would treat Dustin Poirier right, for once and stop all these silly games.

Just put Tony in there.

We won’t ever know the details of the contracts, but I’m sure Dustin deserves more than he’s getting. However, this game usually doesn’t work with the UFC, and there are actually substitutes that make better fights we haven’t seen. He isn’t Jorge Masvidal at the box office.
Conor won't take that fight against tony. Has never mentioned tony as a potential opponent ever since he's been a lightweight. Tony has been calling him out for years. I think Tony's durability and Pace makes conor not want to take that fight, imo. Doesn't want to gas against a guy who's pretty good at submitting people.

ufc is the only sports where fans bickering about money and contract this hard
Apparently you've never been privy to the mega-intense curling finances. These fooking elitist ultra diva "sweepers" are out of control thinking they're more important & they do all the hard work. It's a hot issue bro... & just thank god you haven't been exposed to it.

tenor.gif

On the real though, I think NFL pay is just as hotly debated & has been going on since social media began. NBA to a lesser extent but may be up there with the UFC too.

lol, I guess we know who the next fighter removed from the rankings will be.

If Poirier didn’t still have PTSD from the first fight and actually thought he could win, I think he would’ve already accepted. What’s more lucrative than getting a fight with Conor?..... getting a win against conor.

I find this whole "fight contract" component of current UFC landscape to be a bit silly and tedious.

While I agree that fighters need to get paid better overall what exactly is the point of fighters bragging about their shiny new "8 fight contracts!!!" when they immediately start disputing the pay in their fights after they sign the contracts? (Masvidal for example).

Fighters are happy with new deals, get a bit of heat and suddenly don't want to fight unless they get more money than they already agreed to in a contract they already signed.

MMA has to be one of the few places where legally binding contracts are not binding in the slightest.

I feel for Poirier, he's earned the right to a decent payday but its the same story Masvidal was playing against Usman. "Pay me!! more than I asked for when I signed a legal employment document..."

Its just fucking bizarre.

Conor won't take that fight against tony. Has never mentioned tony as a potential opponent ever since he's been a lightweight. Tony has been calling him out for years. I think Tony's durability and Pace makes conor not want to take that fight, imo. Doesn't want to gas against a guy who's pretty good at submitting people.
Isn’t he starting to sing Tony’s praise a bit? Could be his not so subtle way of ushering that fight in as a possibility. I’ve always said Conor stops Tony within 2, but Tony will embarrass him if he gasses. If not, Gaethje is also a possibility and, in my opinion, a fight tailored for Conor’s highlight reel.

Outside of Conor wanting to fight Poirer, I just don’t know if Dustin has the leverage to warrant a Renegotiation right now, even though I’m all onboard with him receiving it. Conor could fight Tony, Gaethje, Chandler, or Diaz again and all those fights do 1-2m. If he fights Masvidal it would be the best selling PPV in MMA history (maybe not by January though).

just to be clear, I’d love to see Dustin get paid here, but he’s rather expendable unless it’s the only fight Conor will accept. If that’s the case, he’s got some serious leverage.

Back