Dustin Poirier complaining about his contracted pay again

I would require anyone wanting to negotiate a different contract to FIRST have to FIRE their current management. This is non-negotiable. Your agent/manager signed you up for this shit, so punish them first.
While true, agents and managers aren't signing anything without getting approval from their fighter first. It's Dustin who signed the contract.

The problem is he was ranked #10 in the LW division and not worth nearly as much when he signed his last contract in March 2018. I'm sure the contract was fair at the time. He's had some huge wins and incredibly entertaining wars since then. But he needs to fight out the contract and cash in on his next one. That's how it works in all sports. Eventually he'll be old and washed up but still being paid very well because of a contract he earned on past performances (like Cowboy now). And he won't have to renegotiate for less pay then, because a contract is a contract.

Then sign a better contract, go to bellator or strike (like every other sport has done)

Saying “go to another organization” is not the convo though. We’re talking about the ufc exploiting fighters and their pay.

saying go to another organization doesn’t solve the first problem.

Is this the guy from that Free Solo documentary?

Insanity, this guy should be the highest paid athlete ever.

Although if he doesn't stop soon....he's probably going to suffer an awful death.
That's him. That's how the free climbing people die. I think his dad died that way.

Endorsements are not the sport though. Winning events is what gets you paid from the actual sport.
Endorsement are what pay you more than sport earnings . It's not comparable you are paid to place in a tournament, mma has no such pay system. Apples to oranges but the best players don't make the most money

Saying “go to another organization” is not the convo though. We’re talking about the ufc exploiting fighters and their pay.

saying go to another organization doesn’t solve the first problem.
They signed the contract. Dustin agreed to be paid a certain amount he could have left then but he didn't he signed a contract if he felt he was being exploited that's his fault

Athleberties are not valuable members of society, they could all be erased today and we would have new ones next week.

You can’t compare team sports to individual sports.

Imagine the person who lost Wimbledon was paid higher than the dude who won it.

What you’re saying has little merit because MMA is not a team sport.

Not sure what your point is there but I disagree with it.

The UFC isn't some 100% merit based tournament every event, so that analogy fails to work. Also what you said isn't even true. Tiger Woods has lost tournaments and still been paid much better than guys who placed higher or won them.

Sounds like Mike negotiated a helluva deal on his contract whereas Dustin didnt. Wouldnt his manager be to blame and wouldnt he want to finish whatever contract he is on and try to sign a better one?

Dustin is probably the most exciting fighter to watch and he is top 3 in his weight class. If Dana doesn’t pay the man he’s a bum.

Pay him what? A million a fight? A billion? Can he ask for an additional comma every time he fights well? It’s baked in that Poirier is really good and puts on good fights. Whatever his last contract said, it was negotiated on that basis. I don’t blame him for doing what he can to get more, but saying “give him what he asked for, regardless of what that might be, or you suck,” isn’t a sound way to view it as a fan IMO.

Endorsement are what pay you more than sport earnings . It's not comparable you are paid to place in a tournament, mma has no such pay system. Apples to oranges but the best players don't make the most money

No you’re 100% wrong. Just stop talking please.

The person who wins shouldn’t make less than the person who loses. Endorsements are secondary and have nothing to do with winning or losing. When you win you shouldn’t be paid less than the person who loses.

Especially not in individual non team sports

Then sign a better contract, go to bellator or strike (like every other sport has done)

Yep. Any MMA fighter can have MMA fights in Bellator MMA, Professional Fighters League, Rizin, ONE Championship, and many other MMA organizations.

UFC exploits their fighters. This has been known for quite some time. The Reebok deal just hammered the coffin shut on these fighters.

Sounds like there’s a fabulous opportunity for a non-exploitative organization to enter the marketplace and sign all the best fighters.

That's him. That's how the free climbing people die. I think his dad died that way.
I read people like that have a gene where the sense no fear. L
No you’re 100% wrong. Just stop talking please.

The person who wins shouldn’t make less than the person who loses. Endorsements are secondary and have nothing to do with winning or losing. When you win you shouldn’t be paid less than the person who loses.

Especially not in individual non team sports
Lol you stop talking that's how boxing has existed for a century. The more you draw the more you get paid, you sign contract based on your ability to make money for everyone else. That's how it works in prize Fighting

that’s not true at all. Athletes are paid by their skill level. I really don’t know wtf you’re talking about.

Pat Mahomes got paid because of his skill level, not because of his marketability.
Marketability doesn’t win you games or championships.

No, in team sports they are paid according to the marketability of their team, that's the only difference. NFL guys are paid more because their sport is popular in the world's richest market, not because they are actually more skilled than the dudes playing other sports.

No, in team sports they are paid according to the marketability of their team, that's the only difference. NFL guys are paid more because their sport is popular in the world's richest market, not because they are actually more skilled than the dudes playing other sports.

This is 100% false

mahomes got paid because of his skill level.

The real problem here is that MMA pay is low and needs to go up on the whole.

But for Dustin Porier specifically? No it really doesn't. So while he is paid less than he should be, everyone pretty much agrees on that, he isn't really being paid less than he should be in relation to his peers. On a proportional level.

Porier made around 370k his last fight I want to say, top of my head. 150/150 to show and win + bonuses and shit. Okay 150/150 seems perfectly fine for what Porier is. He is not a champion and he is not a super marketable draw.

The UFC could cut Porier and go on without missing a beat. He's a good fighter but he's not an awesome fighter and he will never be LW champion imo. He's the 4th best LW in the division if McGregor is to be counted as well, yes he is. And beyond that ranking him above Ferguson is a bit speculative as well. Ferguson was considered better prior to the Gaethje loss, a much tougher fight (after two weight cuts) than Dan Hooker (a close war).

Porier is a top ~5 LW for sure, but he's not popular and not a draw. Good guy it seems, talented. But 300k at minimum every time you win...how is that something to complain about in context, in relation to your peers?

Fight out your contract and either try to get a better one in the UFC or in the competition, whining about shit they sign on twitter is getting tired.

You can’t compare team sports to individual sports.
Imagine the person who lost Wimbledon was paid higher than the dude who won it.
What you’re saying has little merit because MMA is not a team sport.
My point is that the winner not getting paid the most money is common in sports. You didn't disprove this.

But let me play your game. Anthony Joshua was paid more to fight Andy Ruiz, and he lost. Mike Tyson was paid more to lose to Buster Douglas. When he was coming up, Floyd Mayweather was paid less to beat guys who were getting more money than him and there many more examples of this.

Like I said, getting paid less to win (or getting paid more to lose) is very common in sports.

I read people like that have a gene where the sense no fear. L

Lol you stop talking that's how boxing has existed for a century. The more you draw the more you get paid, you sign contract based on your ability to make money for everyone else. That's how it works in prize Fighting

Generally speaking in boxing the person who loses makes less.

Back