1. The official Sherdog Store is back! Check it out! » Discuss it here! »

Dustin Poirier: Charles Oliveira no quitter, showed championship mentality vs. Michael Chandler

Discussion in 'UFC Discussion' started by Sada555, Sep 24, 2021.

1. Sada555 Banned Banned

Total opposite of Justin Gaethje opinion:

“I’ve seen Charles in a lot of fights,” Poirier told MMA Junkie and other reporters on the UFC Hall of Fame induction red carpet Thursday in Las Vegas. “He’s been in a lot of fights at a high level, so I’ve seen him kind of fold in fights before. But I’ve also seen him rise to the occasion and show up in adversity. If he was a quitter, he had a chance to quit when Chandler hurt him but he came back and put him away. If that shows anything – like they say, your last fight is the most important and the next fight is your most important. The guy showed a championship mentality. He showed a championship effort – got hurt, pulled it together, finished the guy. There was no quit that night.

Charles Oliveira had a tough road, like me. He put in his work, he cut his teeth, he’s bled and clawed his way to being the world champion and he is the undisputed world champion, no doubt about it. I see a lot of hate and shade being thrown online. That’s never going to stop for anybody. But the guy has earned it. It’s inspiring to see guys like that, a guy like (Michael) Bisping, Charles Oliveira. If I can do it, I’ll put myself in the same category – guys who have been knocked down and climbed back up, never say die. Respect. I don’t know the guy personally, but I respect his journey to be world champion.”

I’m not (the champ),” Poirier said. “It’s cool, it’s fun, but I’m not. Charles is the world champion, and I’m trying to be that and I have an opportunity. I have 25 minutes to make that happen, so it’s up to me.

To be the world champion is the reason I ever put on a pair of gloves, not to make money or make a name. Everything else is great, but those are just by-products of trying to be the best, and I have another chance here. I came up short against Khabib (Nurmagomedov). I have another chance to put a gold, undisputed belt in my home and add that to my legacy, and that’s what I’m solely focused on.”

Last edited: Sep 25, 2021
  2. Bork Neslar Black Belt

Well spoken guy. Hespect.

Mavrilicious, robbie and SakurabasEar like this.
  3. Prologue in the pit

No Quit Oliveira is the real Motivated BJ Penn.

[​IMG]

4. Bend NvR Break Order to Chaos. Chaos to Order.

I like Dustin but I have this nagging feeling that Oliveira is going to strangle him.

5. Only Here for Attachments Bacon Lettuce and Mayo

Dustin knows

SakurabasEar likes this.
  6. rjmbrd Gold Belt

Based Dustin.

Do Bronx is one of the most proven guys in the sport right now and his run at lightweight is approaching all-time range with a few more wins.

Justin says some really dumb stuff in interviews and frankly he isn't a well rounded fighter. The best guys he fought prior to Ferguson both knocked him out because he fought like an asshole. Then Khabib made it look like he didn't belong in the cage with him with zero fuss.

JG has a punchers chance against Do Bronx and I think he probably gets tapped.

7. JonJonesNeedle Yellow Card Yellow Card

idk if Charles exactly showed championship mentality against Chandler. It's moreso he survived and then touched up chinny gassed Chandler. The beating Charles took was too short for him to show championship mentality imo. Heck the entire fight itself was pretty much only 5 minutes.

Could he have championship mentality? Maybe. But I didn't really see it.

Sada555 and Azyy like this.
  8. Substance Abuse n00b moderator Staff Member Forum Moderator

I still don't understand why half of this forum seemingly dislikes Dustin and tries to discredit him or hate on him at every opportunity. I'm not even talking Conor fans. You have threads where people believe Colby over Dustin. It's mind boggling.

9. RondoPG Motorboat those tittays Banned

All that motivation

Prologue likes this.
  10. RondoPG Motorboat those tittays Banned

Hey u became mod

11. Chael_Sonnen I'm the reason Waldo is hiding. Platinum Member

I don't dislike him, but I don't like him either. He just comes across as a bit fake to me, the way he talks and his facial expressions both feel a bit put on.

As I say though, I don't dislike him.

RoyalTS likes this.
  12. Substance Abuse n00b moderator Staff Member Forum Moderator

Dustin is just an odd guy with weird mannerisms. He's still a good guy and a great fighter.

Chael_Sonnen likes this.
  13. Prologue in the pit

@bigwaverider bless

<PlusJuan>

14. BigTruck Red Belt

This is how you speak of an opponent. You don't shit on them or claim they suck bc what If they beat you then what does that say about you?

15. Chael_Sonnen I'm the reason Waldo is hiding. Platinum Member

I tend to agree with that assessment, but it doesn't mean I like him. I love his fights, so I'm a fan of him in the cage, but not so much out of it.

omawho402 likes this.
  16. Substance Abuse n00b moderator Staff Member Forum Moderator

You don't have to. No big deal. Fair enough.

Chael_Sonnen likes this.
  17. Viking Power Red Belt

What’s Justin got to do with this?

18. YungSithLxrd Purple Belt

He got rocked and came back stronger and finished the guy the next round ina championship fight. How else do you show champ mentality if not overcoming adversity and getting a finish in a championship fight?

KoChang and Argonaut like this.
  19. Argonaut ⟁⟁⟁⟁⟁

Dustin is a class act, weirdly he's one of the few top lightweights that give Oliveira props. This fight will be a candidate for fight of the year.

Last edited: Sep 24, 2021
  20. rjmbrd Gold Belt

JG made headlines in the MMA sphere from an interview in which he stated, in so many words, that Do Bronx was a quitter, and that he and Chandler (mostly Chandler) did not deserve to fight for the belt.

Poirer is countering that completely bullshit sentiment.