Dustin Poirier (25-6) vs. Nate Diaz (20-12) [Called Out]

Dustin vs. Nate

• Total voters
Horrible matchup for Nate

Poirier proved that a volume striker with suffocating pressure gives him no problems at all (Holloway)

Nate is a budget Holloway

Nate is a lot bigger than Holloway not quite tree times da size but yeah a legit 2 weight classes bigger

Diaz struggles with speed (Conor, MJ, Thompson) and couldn't adjust to Mas' footwork last time, he sorta just walked forward and got lit up.

Poirier also uses nice leg kicks in some of his fights, when the game plan calls for them.

Poirier would be too fast and hit too hard from angles that makes Diaz uncomfortable.
Plus he went to war with very similar styled Holloway and controlled that fight with good shot selection, pace and timing. Only way I can see Diaz win is if Poirier blows his cardio in the first 2 rounds which isn't like him.

Diaz has fought at 155 most of his career and max cuts 40 pounds to make FW

Rumble fought at ww, conor at fw, dude stop. Diaz ain't making lw again so it's irrelevant, the guy is a legit welter. Otoh max still makes fw so he is indeed a fw. Which comes full circle to my point that Diaz is a much larger opponent than max, so it presents different issues. Fuck max put up a fight and didn't even take time to bulk his frame up for Dustin. He just didn't cut weight. You really think it'd be the same fight? I'm thinking it looks a lot closer to how Diaz handled Pettis and poirier gets bullied along the cage

IMO Nate would give Dustin his 6th UFC loss. Presumably this would be a 5 round fight.

Dustin has better punching power and speed, but he's worse at everything else.

Diaz struggles with speed (Conor, MJ, Thompson) and couldn't adjust to Mas' footwork last time, he sorta just walked forward and got lit up.

Nate beat the ever loving dog shit out of Johnson, what are you talking about? He was clipping him repeatedly with 1-2s and beating him to the punch. I have a hard time believing you've watched this fight.

He also boxed Conor's head in the first fight then put him away in under two rounds. With a full camp prepared just for beating Nate, Conor couldn't convince all 3 judges he won a decision after 5 rounds.

Both of those guys Nate beat knocked out Poirer, in the first round.

Nate beat the ever loving dog shit out of Johnson, what are you talking about? He was clipping him repeatedly with 1-2s and beating him to the punch. I have a hard time believing you've watched this fight.

He also boxed Conor's head in the first fight then put him away in under two rounds. With a full camp prepared just for beating Nate, Conor couldn't convince all 3 judges he won a decision after 5 rounds.

Both of those guys Nate beat knocked out Poirer, in the first round.
Nate lost the first round because he couldn't deal with MJ's speed. MJ started winging big punches and brawling a bit more after he got tired.

Mas and Thompson both used tricky angles and good footwork to full capitalize on their speed and they both mauled Diaz. Poirier showcased that footwork against Holloway, a guy with a very similar style to Diaz.

Also if we're bring up old losses Diaz is 15-10 in the UFC

Nate lost the first round because he couldn't deal with MJ's speed. MJ started winging big punches and brawling a bit more after he got tired.

Nate narrowly lost the first round then beat the ever loving dog shit out of a bewildered Michael Johnson in a clean sweep on the score cards. Nate is historically a slow starter. He repeatedly beat MJ to the punch. So we can agree, MJ's speed didn't come close to winning him that fight.

Mas and Thompson both used tricky angles and good footwork to full capitalize on their speed and they both mauled Diaz.

Thompson was one of the best lightweights in the world when they fought and an excellent wrestler. He took Nate down in the first round and baited Nate into chasing him. None of this pairs with Poirer in his history or skill set.

Masvidal was coming off KO'ing two welterweights. He would very likely give Poirer another KO loss. The difference in speed, power and athleticism is tremendous.

Poirier showcased that footwork against Holloway, a guy with a very similar style to Diaz.

This is a weird way of saying Poirer took a featherweight to a 3-2 decision over 5 rounds. Nate is bigger, stronger and definitely longer then Max. He's also, you know, not a featherweight.

Also if we're bring up old losses Diaz is 15-10 in the UFC

Poirer would have more losses if he fought guys like Thomposon, Benson let alone Rory MacDonald and Dong Hyun Kim. Nate obviously has the far more difficult strength of schedule.

If Poirer didn't get put away against guys like Korean Zombie and Michael Johnson he would have had to fight tougher competition.

Nate narrowly lost the first round then beat the ever loving dog shit out of a bewildered Michael Johnson in a clean sweep on the score cards. Nate is historically a slow starter. He repeatedly beat MJ to the punch. So we can agree, MJ's speed didn't come close to winning him that fight.

Thompson was one of the best lightweights in the world when they fought and an excellent wrestler. He took Nate down in the first round and baited Nate into chasing him. None of this pairs with Poirer in his history or skill set.

Masvidal was coming off KO'ing two welterweights. He would very likely give Poirer another KO loss. The difference in speed, power and athleticism is tremendous.

This is a weird way of saying Poirer took a featherweight to a 3-2 decision over 5 rounds. Nate is bigger, stronger and definitely longer then Max. He's also, you know, not a featherweight.

Poirer would have more losses if he fought guys like Thomposon, Benson let alone Rory MacDonald and Dong Hyun Kim. Nate obviously has the far more difficult strength of schedule.

If Poirer didn't get put away against guys like Korean Zombie and Michael Johnson he would have had to fight tougher competition.
You seem to be disregarding Poirier a ton while blindly routing for Nate. Not disregarding his win over MJ, the speed was a big issue early on.
Holloway is technically far more sound than Nate and has better cardio, plus 145lb to 155lb isn't a huge weight jump (Nate is a LW not a WW)

Poirier can certainly hold his own grappling with Nate and his boxing is high level.
I can't see Poirier gassing/slowing down and Nate taking over like he usually does, Poirier is too fast, hits too hard and is too good with his angles. Going to war with Gaethje and Holloway takes tremendous heart and fight IQ.

Rumble fought at ww, conor at fw, dude stop. Diaz ain't making lw again so it's irrelevant, the guy is a legit welter. Otoh max still makes fw so he is indeed a fw. Which comes full circle to my point that Diaz is a much larger opponent than max, so it presents different issues. Fuck max put up a fight and didn't even take time to bulk his frame up for Dustin. He just didn't cut weight. You really think it'd be the same fight? I'm thinking it looks a lot closer to how Diaz handled Pettis and poirier gets bullied along the cage

We'll see what happens if the fight goes down. I think Poirier smokes him if he doesn't gas

You seem to be disregarding Poirier a ton while blindly routing for Nate. Not disregarding his win over MJ, the speed was a big issue early on.
Holloway is technically far more sound than Nate and has better cardio, plus 145lb to 155lb isn't a huge weight jump (Nate is a LW not a WW)

Poirier can certainly hold his own grappling with Nate and his boxing is high level.
I can't see Poirier gassing/slowing down and Nate taking over like he usually does, Poirier is too fast, hits too hard and is too good with his angles. Going to war with Gaethje and Holloway takes tremendous heart and fight IQ.

To be clear, Nate isn't the best and has never been the best. He's routinely lost to the top ranked fighters he's fought. RDA, Benson and Rory were all top of the food chain when they fought Nate, and they walked through him.

Poirer hasn't fought anywhere near the same level of competition, that is demonstrably true. I think you can agree is pretty normal to discuss and compare shared opponents. Nate beat both MJ and Conor, where Poirer was summarily knocked out by both of them.

Poirer is a fine fighter and fun to watch. Like Nate, he's also very flawed and not the top of the division. I think they make a fine matchup, but I'd wager Poirer comes up short.

To be clear, Nate isn't the best and has never been the best. He's routinely lost to the top ranked fighters he's fought. RDA, Benson and Rory were all top of the food chain when they fought Nate, and they walked through him.

Poirer hasn't fought anywhere near the same level of competition, that is demonstrably true. I think you can agree is pretty normal to discuss and compare shared opponents. Nate beat both MJ and Conor, where Poirer was summarily knocked out by both of them.

Poirer is a fine fighter and fun to watch. Like Nate, he's also very flawed and not the top of the division. I think they make a fine matchup, but I'd wager Poirer comes up short.
I'll agree with that, I'd expect another Holloway/Poirier or Diaz/Mcgregor type war. I just think Poiriers issues are with quick power punchers and not so much fighters who will wear on you

I don't think Nate is accepting any other fight besides Conor

Poiriers weakness are southpaws, due to his shoulder roll. Fast and powerful is even worse.
A shoulder roll from southpaw would work better with a southpaw....

You don't shoulder roll someone's lead hand in the opposite stance, that's asking for trouble. it's meant to get away from the power straight. You basically trap yourself in the way of a power shot right down the pipe if in opposite stance.

He also boxed Conor's head in the first fight

The Diaz brothers everybody. Undefeated in mma UFC world champions in their own mind.

154_Conor_McGregor_vs_Nate_Diaz.0.0.jpg

The Diaz brothers everybody. Undefeated in mma UFC world champions in their own mind.

Nate isn't a serious contender in any division he's ever fought in. He's generally lost in completely lopsided fashion to ever top ranked fighter he's ever fought. RDA, Benson, Thompson... just blew him right out of the water.

He put away Conor in under 2 rounds. Thats how bad Conor is.

Back