Dustin learned a lot from his loss to Khabib

Bums? Dustin, Khabib, alvarez, Cerrone, Diaz,Mayweather, aldo, Holloway bums lol

Both Dustin and Holloway were not important fighters when he fought them. The two best guys Dustin had fought in the UFC were Cub and Korean Zombie, and they both beat him.

Holloway was coming off a loss and had a 3-2 UFC record.

Cerrone was coming off back to back stoppage losses and overall a career spiral. Its fair to say this was a gimmie booking.

Both Aldo and Khabib were the best when he fought them, and that means a lot. Of course, going 1-1 with Diaz made it pretty absurd Conor got a free title shot in the first place. Its unlikely he could have earned it, surely he couldn't beat Khabib in a title eliminator.

View attachment 778794
It really seemed like Dustin was truly dangerous anywhere on the ground tonight and didn’t ever feel like he was in any sort of danger no matter the position he was in. It felt like had they both not been bloodied he’d have Submitted Hooker from some of those positions. I hope he continues to get better at it and becomes a monster everywhere especially if Khabib retires after the Gaethje fight since he’s most likely fighting for the title at that point.

Yeah it was pretty apparent. An A-level expert with a 206-0 streetfighting record even posted about it in the pbp thread last night:

Poirier learned a thing or two from Habib

Hooker was outwrestling him.

Enough with the Khabib nut-gargling. He dominated Dustin. He didn't enlighten him to shit or make him a better fighter.

Dustin is a fantastic positional grappler. If he can up his sub game then he'll be a force of nature

He showed that he learned some ideas from Khabib on how to offensively grapple.
A stretch.

But still defensively suspect - taken down by taller guy that isn’t a wrestler, jumping for guillotines late in a fight against bloody/sweaty opponent. Still some glaring defensive holes
Neither of them can defend. And thats' because MMA can't box.

...but he has some ideas on what Khabib did to him and is trying to implement at least.
This whole idea of MMA that we pick up technique from guys who roundly kicked my ass... is... a s s i n e.

<Oku02>One of the big myths of dumb ass MMA.

Thoughts? If you had all your money in the world on either Dustin or Tony facing Conor, which would you choose?

I’d put my money on Conor in any of those matchups. I’d think Tony’s durability and cardio would have made him the hardest one but after watching how slow and bad he looked in his last fight, I’d bet on Conor in that too.

I think hooker gets absolutely murdered every time without a doubt.

I think Conor beats Dustin again in similar fashion and in the Gaethje fight, it depends what Justin shows up. If he tries to brawl though, I think he gets countered and finished.

Conor is head and shoulders above everybody else his size in striking. None of those guys have the wrestling to beat him IMO

Dustin (just before the sequence you posted) also tried to do the "putting both feet together and elevating them" thing Khabib does, but instead of trapping his opponents feet in a triangle like Khabib does, he just say on them with his own feet under. Hard to explain, but if you rewatch you'll understand what I mean.
I know what you mean, the leg lace

Although I enjoyed this fight very much and absolutely love Dustin Poirier, I have to say I was baffled by how easily Hooker was able to take him down at times. Dustin's training had to be incredible different this time around, given Hooker's game, but for Poirier to get taken down so frequently by a guy who's not a wrestler by any stretch of the imagination...I don't know if I'm willing to say that, after watching this fight, the first thing that comes to mind is that "he learned so much from fighting Khabib"...

It shows Dan's lack of preparation. He said he didn't watch the khabib-dustin fight as there was nothing he can learn that would help him prepare for his match against dustin and dustin ends up using some of khabib's tactics. Go figure

A stretch.

Neither of them can defend. And thats' because MMA can't box.

This whole idea of MMA that we pick up technique from guys who roundly kicked my ass... is... a s s i n e.

<Oku02>One of the big myths of dumb ass MMA.

Seems like you've got a pretty hard perspective on how MMA knowledge is gained and applied - I try to be unbiased and just look at the fighters performance and the tactics/strategy they use to try and ascertain if anything was learned.

I wouldn't call it "a stretch" to say that Dustin learned something from getting grapple-raped by Khabib; in the 4th round when he took Dan down against the cage he went for a leg-lace to mount to single-leg back-take to Dagestani hand-cuff - this is TEXTBOOK Khabib grappling breakdown process and Dustin did an ok imitation of it (leg-lace his legs weren't crossed and he wasn't driving with his head into opponent). He's not Khabib so it's not going to be as effective, but that doesn't mean it won't still work.

Good fighters copycat the skills of other fighters, even if those fighters are better at applying those skills. It doesn't mean you have to be Khabib to use Khabib tactics, you just have to have better offensive wrestling then your opponent (and technically Dustin is better then Hooker there, he is just also bad defensively because he can't help but jump guillotines).

Good fighters improve from losses, especially if they got exposed somewhere (as it gives them an area to work on). That doesn't mean getting raped by Khabib turns you into Khabib, but in the process of the ass-beating if you have any type of awareness you have to look back and understand how effective it was and see if you can use those attacks/positions in similar ways if you are able to get there. You don't learn the technique through the ass-beating, you learn of the technique and then in training thereafter work on defending and using it.

If you don't think Dustin has been training positions Khabib put him in since their fight you don't know a damn thing about fighting.

Seems like you've got a pretty hard perspective on how MMA knowledge is gained and applied - I try to be unbiased and just look at the fighters performance and the tactics/strategy they use to try and ascertain if anything was learned.
There's a difference in our approach... You claim unbias: however, looking @ fighter performance is looking through the glass door, from the outside in. Not talking down your work... just providing an introspective element which Dustin only got AFTER getting smeshed by Khabib. Too late.

I wouldn't call it "a stretch" to say that Dustin learned something from getting grapple-raped by Khabib; in the 4th round when he took Dan down against the cage he went for a leg-lace to mount to single-leg back-take to Dagestani hand-cuff - this is TEXTBOOK Khabib
True, I only threw out an impression. If one is truly @ a high level, though... that means prepared in advance. Not learning from some other-world competition who really doesn't represent the MMA cross section @ all.

I think your observation and point well taken.

grappling breakdown process and Dustin did an ok imitation of it (leg-lace his legs weren't crossed and he wasn't driving with his head into opponent). He's not Khabib so it's not going to be as effective, but that doesn't mean it won't still work.
Again, good points in support of your position.

Good fighters copycat the skills of other fighters, even if those fighters are better at applying those skills.
Ah, no. Fighters who don't understand the art of fighting... copycat others 'cause they don't understand what they are doing.

I'm not saying one can't learn something new... but the curriculum of the art(s) you train hold the answers. Not, Joe Schmo, the way MMA believes.

It doesn't mean you have to be Khabib to use Khabib tactics, you just have to have better offensive wrestling then your opponent (and technically Dustin is better then Hooker there, he is just also bad defensively because he can't help but jump guillotines).
Again, you are on top of the observation game. And substantiating your position.

Good fighters improve from losses, especially if they got exposed somewhere (as it gives them an area to work on).
Ah no, good fighters minimize losses because they are better prepared. MMA thinks competiton makes one better.,,, hardly so... Hooker getting his face punched in for hundreds of times over three rounds is NOT the martial definition of getting better.... no matter how exciting for fans, or How profitable for the MMA ecosystem.

That doesn't mean getting raped by Khabib turns you into Khabib,
We are on the same page here.

but in the process of the ass-beating if you have any type of awareness you have to look back and understand how effective it was
This is dumb as coaching. If your competitor got his butt whipped... wtf are you there for, coach? The Robert Drysdale syndrome.
and see if you can use those attacks/positions in similar ways if you are able to get there.
At that point, you are forced to, unless you lack any type of awareness,,, which loads of people in martial arts do lack.

You don't learn the technique through the ass-beating, you learn of the technique and then in training thereafter work on defending and using it.
The free sparring approach... MMA style.

If you don't think Dustin has been training positions Khabib put him in since their fight you don't know a damn thing about fighting.
You were doing well until your closing line. MMA tells me this all the time... when it's readily been admitted I'm far above the MMA mind. TooK awhile.

<Kpop01>Any how, I conceded your point(s),,, recognized them... and that is why I understand preparation while you understand observation.<Oku04>

There's a plethora of other lessons in my Japanese female kumtie vid.

Hooker, lost to Poirier... and took a massive amount of strikes to his head in the process. He wasn't prepared, no matter how much MMA, his MMA coach, and City Kickboxing thinks it prepares people.

Few people watch this match compared to MMA matches. It's not exciting to the masses. They are over @ ATT doing crossfit.

The Lesson of Preparation: Both of the kumite competitors were prepared. But one relied on the physical staple of "copying" what kumite competitors so often do. The other was ahead the whole match... because the thinking mind is what preparation is all about. Unfortunately for MMA, a very deep philosophical statement.

<{1-12}>Looking forward to your next piece.

There's a plethora of other lessons in my Japanese female kumtie vid.

Hooker, lost to Poirier... and took a massive amount of strikes to his head in the process. He wasn't prepared, no matter how much MMA, his MMA coach, and City Kickboxing thinks it prepares people.

Few people watch this match compared to MMA matches. It's not exciting to the masses. They are over @ ATT doing crossfit.

The Lesson of Preparation: Both of the kumite competitors were prepared. But one relied on the physical staple of "copying" what kumite competitors so often do. The other was ahead the whole match... because the thinking mind is what preparation is all about. Unfortunately for MMA, a very deep philosophical statement.

<{1-12}>Looking forward to your next piece.

You realize all these fake martial arts female karate girls tying their belts would get their faces bashed in by even the shitty soccer moms of the UFC right?

Talked to you before a few times, so I know you won't understand and I'm not trying to talk shit either, but it seems like you believe in bullshido. Fake martial arts. Seems like you're an anime fan more than a fight fan.

Sorry dude but Judo isn't superior to MMA. Neither is fake or legitimate forms of karate. Khabib would literally maul every single karate guy in the world. We've already solved this equation in 1993.

You talk from some patronizing position but you're the one stuck 30-50+ years in the past when people believed in fake Kung-Fu and karate from Count Chocula and Frank Dux Kumite shit. That's fake bro, stop living in a fantasy land, wake up.

Edit: I watched a few minutes of that Female kumite karate shit, that is fucking cringe. They literally touch each other once with a punch lightly and scream. They never cut angles, they have no head movement. It isn't a real fight, it's point fighting karate with women. Have you ever heard of Valentina Shevchenko?

Last edited:
What's more, I can tell you how to beat Khabib.

Furthermore, I'll go on record stating categorically no one in the UFC can beat him, BEllator too prolly. Khabib is unbeatable by MMA.

Why? Preparation. Conor is a good MMA fighter. Why then did Conor lost to Khabib? Preparation. Not what John Kavanaugh &SBG said. Dustin lost to Khabib. Why? Prperation. Not what Dyan Davis & ATT said. <Aug3>I said it.

Karate Style doesn't guarantee preparation either. Red Female dominates, then gets rug pulled out from under her, literally. Boxing makes for great MMA preparation, IMHO. Boxing science has been around for at least a couple hundred years. And the key @ basics is footwork. Easy to say... amazingly difficult to do, and do consistently. But that is boring.... so much easier to get your MMA ass whipped and proclaim... geese that guy's a good wrestler.

<{1-9}>And so the boat of preparation passes MMA by...............

You realize all these fake martial arts female karate girls tying their belts would get their faces bashed in by even the shitty soccer moms of the UFC right?

Talked to you before a few times, so I know you won't understand and I'm not trying to talk shit either, but it seems like you believe in bullshido. Fake martial arts. Seems like you're an anime fan more than a fight fan.

Sorry dude but Judo isn't superior to MMA. Neither is fake or legitimate forms of karate. Khabib would literally maul every single karate guy in the world. We've already solved this equation in 1993.

You talk from some patronizing position but you're the one stuck 30-50+ years in the past when people believed in fake Kung-Fu and karate from Count Chocula and Frank Dux Kumite shit. That's fake bro, stop living in a fantasy land, wake up.

Edit: I watched a few minutes of that Female kumite karate shit, that is fucking cringe. They literally touch each other once with a punch lightly and scream. They never cut angles, they have no head movement. It isn't a real fight, it's point fighting karate with women. Have you ever heard of Valentina Shevchenko?
<Cage33><NotListening>

Well, go over to Japan and tell the JKA that. Have a challenge match... see how it all works out. P.S. Never happen.

It's ok. MMA won't melt. My prose stipulates that. <{yahyou}>Chill Bill.

The only martial equation you solves in 1993 was MATCHMAKING.

<Prem771>You talk out of fear. Thanks for the tip off, Count Chockalat.

Yes... and she's a piker compared to what those kumite gals represent. Piker, biker. <{blankeye}>Have a buger for your efforts.

What's more, I can tell you how to beat Khabib.

Furthermore, I'll go on record stating categorically no one in the UFC can beat him, BEllator too prolly. Khabib is unbeatable by MMA.

Why? Preparation. Conor is a good MMA fighter. Why then did Conor lost to Khabib? Preparation. Not what John Kavanaugh &SBG said. Dustin lost to Khabib. Why? Prperation. Not what Dyan Davis & ATT said. <Aug3>I said it.

Karate Style doesn't guarantee preparation either. Red Female dominates, then gets rug pulled out from under her, literally. Boxing makes for great MMA preparation, IMHO. Boxing science has been around for at least a couple hundred years. And the key @ basics is footwork. Easy to say... amazingly difficult to do, and do consistently. But that is boring.... so much easier to get your MMA ass whipped and proclaim... geese that guy's a good wrestler.

<{1-9}>And so the boat of preparation passes MMA by...............

What's the secret to beating Khabib then?

Preparation H?

Seriously, what are you suggesting, what do you think is the answer? Are you seriously insinuating karate point fighting where both women could have been double legged or taken down at any point in time based on their stances and running forward like toddlers at their opponents, who have no threat of takedown in their minds whatsoever, has anything to offer?

I guess McGregor should open his mouth wide and screech at Khabib after every punch is landed from either side. Perhaps not be so aggressive as to arbitrarily lose a point by a shitty weird rule set. Ask Khabib humbly and nicely not to shoot for a single or wrestle him against the cage?

Well, go over to Japan and tell the JKA that. Have a challenge match... see how it all works out. P.S. Never happen.

It's ok. MMA won't melt. My prose stipulates that. <{yahyou}>Chill Bill.

The only martial equation you solves in 1993 was MATCHMAKING.

<Prem771>You talk out of fear. Thanks for the tip off, Count Chockalat.

Yes... and she's a piker compared to what those kumite gals represent. Piker, biker. <{blankeye}>Have a buger for your efforts.

Valentina would fucking rape those karate girls.

Back