Dustin learned a lot from his loss to Khabib

Porier looked good, for sure...

But I believe the result of this fight was more due to Hooker tiring in the third round than it was anything else.

Hooker was giving Porier a lot of problems before he became exhausted.
You act like Poirier wasnt the cause of Hooker getting tired. Both were throwing heat, getting hit, and missing. That takes a lot out of even the best. Even putting all that aside the output from both men were insane.

View attachment 778794
It really seemed like Dustin was truly dangerous anywhere on the ground tonight and didn’t ever feel like he was in any sort of danger no matter the position he was in. It felt like had they both not been bloodied he’d have Submitted Hooker from some of those positions. I hope he continues to get better at it and becomes a monster everywhere especially if Khabib retires after the Gaethje fight since he’s most likely fighting for the title at that point.
Haha I was smiling to myself thinking 'Khabib Timeee' when I saw that

But I believe the result of this fight was more due to Hooker tiring in the third round than it was anything else.

Honestly he would have won had he been able to keep it going. He knows what he needs to do. He's improved pretty much every fight and he'll continue to get better with the boys down at City

I agree but I also believe Dustin's cardio was worse then usual due to the layoff and surgery. So, I think a second fight would still be a toss-up.

View attachment 778794
It really seemed like Dustin was truly dangerous anywhere on the ground tonight and didn’t ever feel like he was in any sort of danger no matter the position he was in. It felt like had they both not been bloodied he’d have Submitted Hooker from some of those positions. I hope he continues to get better at it and becomes a monster everywhere especially if Khabib retires after the Gaethje fight since he’s most likely fighting for the title at that point.
I would like to see him as a Coach after his opportunities in the UFC.
He seems like a guy with the right mindset, workethic and high fight iq.

I always thought Dustin was arguably the best out of him, Ferguson, Gaethje and McGregor.

Agreed. Poirier has looked dangerous standing and on the ground for quite some time. Further, his wrestling is still a problem. A haggard-looking hooker was able to get horizontal multiple times.

View attachment 778794
Eh, his takedown defense looked worse than ever and he gave up his back multiple times.

Fight : Dustin gets out wrestled by Dan Hooker

Sherdog response : Dustin learnt a lot from the Khabib fight ...

Reactions: JSN
You act like Poirier wasnt the cause of Hooker getting tired. Both were throwing heat, getting hit, and missing. That takes a lot out of even the best. Even putting all that aside the output from both men were insane.

Good point people like to give fighters the out 'Well he only lost because his cardio gastank blah blah blah..." - nah, thats part of it! If you maintain a high pressure on another fighters forcing them into maximum output to keep up and they tire first - YOU beat them!!

I really don't think he learned much from the Khabib fight dude. As a FW the majority of his finishes were submissions, he is 1 of only 2 men to submit Pettis, the only guy to sub (or finish) Max, had Khabib in the most vulnerable position of his career and has only been subbed by Khabib and KZ himself.

Dustin has always been skilled on the ground, all he learned in the Khabib fight is Khabib is a whole different animal when it comes to positional dominance, technique and pressure with grappling then anyone we've seen before in the lower divisions.

Ya I don't get why people are acting like Dustin is a mid level guy. Kid is a monster

Leading up to that position he also did that Khabib leg lock thing he does with an opponents feet when their back is crunched against the cage, it was beautiful thing to watch. I even saw minimal skilled Maurice Greene perform a Dagestani handcuff on fat Gian, Khabib is a influencer.

I don’t know why everyone is acting like the reason Hooker completed most of the takedowns in the first/middle rounds wasn’t because Poirier kept trying to jump the guillotine.. as soon as he stopped that in the 5th round and listened to his coaches he was stuffing Hooker’s shots. Jumping on the guillotine was unsuccessful cause they were both sweaty and it slipped out multiple times. Partly due to bad decision making by Dustin too.

He showed that he learned some ideas from Khabib on how to offensively grapple.

But still defensively suspect - taken down by taller guy that isn’t a wrestler, jumping for guillotines late in a fight against bloody/sweaty opponent. Still some glaring defensive holes but he has some ideas on what Khabib did to him and is trying to implement at least.

Back