>During< Workout Drink?!

Now

White Belt
Reaction score
Hello,

I really hope my 2nd thread will be better than my 1st one, haha. Maybe its more of a language barrier thing than a real question, but I want to be sure.

In the book "The grapplers guide to nutrition" Berardi and Fry write:

"As a starting point, athletes should begin by sipping a liquid carbohydrate
protein drink immediately prior to or during exercise. Further, immediately
after exercise, a similar drink should be consumed.
This drink should contain rapidly digesting protein (whey protein or whey
protein hydrolysates) and carbohydrates (dextrose or maltodextrin), as well as
some BCAA (branched chain amino acids).
Exercise beverages should be diluted to 6 &#8211; 12% concentrations (60 &#8211; 120g of
drink per 1000ml water). These concentrations have been proven to be most
effective for rehydration purposes.
The drinks should provide approximately 0.8g carbohydrate/kg of body mass
and 0.4g protein/kg body mass. Of course, as discussed earlier,
experimentation with differing amounts of energy is important to determine
the best composition for each individual athlete. So being with 0.8g
carbohydrate/kg of body mass and 0.4g protein/kg body mass and
experiment from there.
"

So to get the numbers straight: What they are saying is, that for a 150lb athlete like me, I make one 1000ml drink containing 120g carbs and 60g protein and then take 10% of THAT to mix it with another 1000ml of water. So in the end I have one 1100ml 6g protein, 12g carb exercise drink, and one 900ml 108g carb, 54g protein post workout drink?

I imagine they dont have to be the same, so I can make an exercise drink with green tea, and a post workout shake with grain-milk or something. Its just about the numbers right?

Havent heard or read much about during exercise drinks, so I wanted to ask.

regards,

now

edit: Im really confused now. In the "wrap up" at the end of the section he writes:

During workouts and immediately after workouts athletes
should sip a fast digesting carbohydrate-protein drink
containing around 0.8g carbohydrate/kg and 0.4g
protein/kg.

Which would mean having a 120g carb and 60g protein drink DURING AND after workout. That seems intense.

Remember, this is just one guy's (admittedly, a smart guy in JB) prescription in the context of a much larger strategy.

I mean, nowhere in your post did you refer to the training/goal context, which should, naturally, be a major determinant of what (if anything) you should be eating/drinking during your workout. No one needs a during workout drink for a 20 minute met con.

There are 1001 variables you could look at. My point is, don't get too wrapped up in this particular outlook. Some people train well fasted. I like to eat a sizable meal an hour or so before I lift, but I rarely eat or drink anything during my workouts, except water, and not much at that.

Experiment with different things, see how you feel, make changes.

Personally, I prefer good ole' fashioned H20 during a workout. I try to drink 16 oz. per hour during a heavy workout. Water afterwords for me is fine too. If it's a particularly hard workout I may have a Gatorade or G2 afterwords. I try to get some protein within 30 minutes of a workout, usually a shake, around 200 calories and 50 grams of protein.

Personally, I prefer good ole' fashioned H20 during a workout. I try to drink 16 oz. per hour during a heavy workout. Water afterwords for me is fine too. If it's a particularly hard workout I may have a Gatorade or G2 afterwords. I try to get some protein within 30 minutes of a workout, usually a shake, around 200 calories and 50 grams of protein.

Same here. I usually make crystal light for the ride to the gym and just sip water the entire time. No real scientific reason, but it works for me.

I can lift on an empty stomach, same for cardio, I just need plenty of water.

BJJ I need to stoke the furnace and eat before/after or I feel shitty. However, if I over eat I feel shitty too, so it's a fine line.

ive only ever needed water, anything like carbs , protien etc etc makes me feel sick

Right now I'm trying out a new energy drink called Turbo since it was on sale dirt cheap and when I'm feeling like I need a boost, I like my stimulants pre-workout. Usually I drink like 4 cups of strong, dark french pressed coffee before my workouts and that's been doing fine, but lately, it feels like that's not even enough. To nail down whether it's lack of energy or a recovery issue, (I'm thinking perhaps a bit of both) I'm taking half this drink pre-workout and half intra workout. It seemed to give me a good boost, so I'm going to see how long it lasts. At $1 per can it's worth a shot.

Well my goals would be to perform the best I can during the grappling/mma/boxing, as well as prepare my body for regeneration.
Its usually 1.5hrs of warmup-stretching-pads/mitts/technique-sparring-stretching. I drink between one and oneandahalf litres of water usually. Now Im re-thinking the whole thing.

Also: In the book it says that dehydration is more common that one might think, which leads to a short lived sodium deficiency.
Would it be good to put salt in your drink, or is that ass backwards? (Since salt-water is known to dehydrate even more)

Yesterday I mixed 1/4 green tea with 3/4 water, white pepper and a little salt, 5g whey protein and 10g honey.
Its barely drinkeable but I felt good during the workout. Then again you can never subscribe a good session to something new you drank. It might just have been a good day.

During lifting, I have a smoothie that consists of a cup of yogurt, ice, water, berries, banana, protein powder, creatine, and sometimes greens. It's probably 24 oz or so. A lot of people say they wouldn't be able to drink it, but the consistency isn't too bad and it's during lifting, not conditioning. As for conditioning, I just drink water.

During my workout I sip creatine with some bcaas in it. Peptopro can work well instead of bcaas too

Back