Duran would Knock Out Ali in a Streetfight

YukisHeart

Brown Belt
@Brown
Reaction score
Man, I can imagine a lot of angry people viewing this topic clicked secretly really looking forward to being able to unleash some seriously furious replies.

This isn't something I think myself, actually, but it's something I've heard Duran himself said. A long time ago, in a discussion regarding the success of MMAists such as Yuki Nakai and Sakuraba against much bigger men, someone asked if anyone thought something similar could happen in boxing. Old champs obvioulsy came up - Dempsey beating Big Jess Willard senseless at 180 and so on - then someone said that Roberto Duran (I'm pretty sure it was Duran) had claimed he would knock Ali out if he saw him in the street.

I've obviously got no actual source for this, though, and I don't seem to be able to Google anything up. Has anyone else heard this, or a similar story? Cheers.

Last edited:
A great big man beats a great little man. Duran would be like a child/rag doll, in comparison to the size of Ali. Assuming we're talking prime vs. prime here.

no source then gtfo.

I'm asking if there is a source, jackass. I figured if there was then someone who was really into boxing (and hey, is this not Boxing Discussion?) would have heard the story. I think I'm being perfectly reasonable.

Duran was one of my favorites of all time but no.......Ali would have sent him dining with his ancestors in the afterlife.

Duran isn't the most humble guy out there.

But I would think he's trying to give himself a little of that street cred type thing, basically saying his viciousness would serve him well in a no holds barred affair where headbutts and eye pokes would be fair game.

I would take Mayorga over Duran in a street fight.

If they met on the street back in the day Duran would probably be hungover and out of shape, easy KO for Ali.

I'll say I would take Frazier over Ali in a street fight. Those two might be equals in the ring, but I see Frazier straight stomping Ali on the streets.

Based on the fact that one was a lw and the other hw....no.

If he sucker punched him, perhaps. Duran is one my favorite boxers ever, but com'on.

I'd have to see that quote, Duran wasn't the type to make idle boasts so i don't believe it. Also, Ali was his hero along with any up and coming fighter of the era, doubt he'd say that at anytime. And no, tooo small, all ali'd have to do is push him around and hold him.and if he hit him he'd tear him apart. It's no fun getting hit by a big man, body ain't built for it.

I agree that this guy....
eticket_fc_duran_ring_692.jpg

beats this guy...
muhammedaliBIG_468x600.jpg

...if they faced each other in a street fight today...

I'm asking if there is a source, jackass. I figured if there was then someone who was really into boxing (and hey, is this not Boxing Discussion?) would have heard the story. I think I'm being perfectly reasonable.

Don't worry, kingofdumbasses is a known troll on this board.

Damn, I hate seeing pics of Ali today...

But Ali destroys Duran in a streetfight just based on size alone.

For the record though, this streetfight threads are ridiculous.

Back