Duran Leonard I

i think you can argue duran wasn't at his optimal fighting weight (in that he was the smaller fighter). but i wouldn't confuse that with saying that duran on that night was arguably as good a version of duran as there has been.

and agree that it was a rare performance in historical context. unfortunately, he threw some of that away in the rematch.

Leonard beat Hagler fair and square.

7-4-1 or 7-5 Hagler.. That fight was almost as bad as Oscar/Shane 2.. Fuckin garbarge of a decision and typical rigged nonsense in boxing.. If it was somewhat close Ray was getting the nod.. Dude got dropped twice against Hearns and Judges would not let him lose..

7-4-1 or 7-5 Hagler.. That fight was almost as bad as Oscar/Shane 2.. Fuckin garbarge of a decision and typical rigged nonsense in boxing.. If it was somewhat close Ray was getting the nod.. Dude got dropped twice against Hearns and Judges would not let him lose..

i thought leonard won.

hagler knew he didn't win at the final bell.

Leonard possibly/arguably deserved a couple 10-8 rounds in that fight too. He didn't floor Hearns, but had him on queer street for the good part of a few round IIRC.

But I do feel that if Hearns was fighting anyone else in the world on that night, and the fight unfolded the exact same way, he would have gotten the win.

the big fights are always the ones faceing this kind of scrutiny. a fight like for example Ali-Chuvalo2 would never make the cut but you could make a case for george winning that fight but he didn't have the clout in the boxing world to even merit anything like this. Ray leonard was the golden boy, the money man, it was a close fight but even ray admits today he lost, it doesn't get more clear than when a fighter admits that (and kudos to ray for it). Close fight? any fight with that talent is bound to be close, that's why judges are suppossed to know what the fuck they are doing.

Yeah, a fighter saying he lost isn't golden. Rampage said he lost to Lyoto.

i thought leonard won.

hagler knew he didn't win at the final bell.

Hagler also gave away a good 4 rounds of that fight trying to box Leonard IMO.

lol

Oscar/Shane was a close fight too. You guys think every decision that doesn't end with a score identical to yours is some sort of calamity.

Yeah, a fighter saying he lost isn't golden. Rampage said he lost to Lyoto.

why can't you keep the mma shit out of here? I don't want to here about no rampart, no miyaga, no ralgh gracie keep it out of here.

and hagler retired.

Because Ray would not fight him. According to Hagler and his trainer years later Ray mentioned a rematch in some bathroom at a function they both attended. He basically said he wanted to flush Rays head down the toilet..

http://www.grantland.com/story/_/id...ght-marvelous-marvin-hagler-sugar-ray-leonard

Petronelli: "Marvin chased him for almost a year for a rematch, but he said, "Nope," and that was it. Marvin said, "I'm not going to chase him around anymore," so he retired. Then Leonard, one time, Marvin told me they were in the men's room at an event years afterward, and Leonard starts talking about a rematch. Marvin said, "I was almost going to grab him around the neck and stick his head in the flush." He's like, "You're talking about fighting a rematch now? Why didn't we fight when we could? It's all over now."

Because Ray would not fight him. According to Hagler and his trainer years later Ray mentioned a rematch in some bathroom at a function they both attended. He basically said he wanted to flush Rays head down the toilet..

http://www.grantland.com/story/_/id...ght-marvelous-marvin-hagler-sugar-ray-leonard

Petronelli: "Marvin chased him for almost a year for a rematch, but he said, "Nope," and that was it. Marvin said, "I'm not going to chase him around anymore," so he retired. Then Leonard, one time, Marvin told me they were in the men's room at an event years afterward, and Leonard starts talking about a rematch. Marvin said, "I was almost going to grab him around the neck and stick his head in the flush." He's like, "You're talking about fighting a rematch now? Why didn't we fight when we could? It's all over now."

it took boxing fans a little to catch on but when they did catch on to "america's darling" they did with a vengeance, no one liked the way ray fucked around with rivals and it turned everyone against him, to this day people hate ray, grudgingly admit his greatness but hate him. Made Duran and Hearns wait nearly 10 years and for the first year after the Hagler fight fucked with everyone by putting the rematch talk out there. Just a selfish bastard. That's why everyone loved it when he got his asswhoopin by Camacho. not to mention the norris fight, sometimes I still wish he would comeback.

You wish sugar ray Leonard would still make a comeback?

ya, meaning he'd come back and get beat on some more, i don't like him, haven't liked him since the early 80's, he's not what boxing is about, Hagler, Hearns, Duran never pulled the kind of stuff he did. Great fighter yes, maybe the best of his era but rotten person.

Riiiight. A fighter who's 56 retired since 1997 and you want him to come back to endure brain damage?

Back