Television DUNGEONS & DRAGONS Live-Action Series in the Works

Dragonlordxxxxx

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
Reaction score
DUNGEONS & DRAGONS Live-Action TV Series in the Works from Jon Wick Writer

Gk5qP8X.jpg

Even as Paramount and Hasbro’s filmed entertainment studio, eOne, are in the casting stages of a live-action Dungeons & Dragons feature film, Habsro/eOne is also laying the groundwork for a television series based on the fantasy role playing game.

Derek Kolstad, the creator and writer behind the John Wick franchise, has been tapped to pen and develop a pitch for a live-action series based on the Dungeons & Dragons universe.

Affectionately referred to by fans as D&D, the game is known for its wars, treasure hunts, campaigns, camaraderie, and reversals of fortune, all in a setting that combines humans, elves, orcs and hundreds of other creatures. The game famously uses multisided dice in gameplay to further the imaginary story and is overseen by a host known as the Dungeon Master.

Launched in 1974, it was popularized in the 1980s. Its popularity has returned in recent years and, in fact, has soared anew during the pandemic, and found new fans thanks to videogame play and livestreams on Twitch and YouTube. In an earning call in October, Hasbro CEO Brian Goldner said sales had mushroomed 20 percent from 2019. Goldner also revealed that a series was being eyed.

Paramount and eOne are mounting a feature that will star Chris Pine that is due to lens later this year.

Kolstad isn’t the only scribe working on a D&D series, as eOne is now working with and looking for multiple writers to develop various projects set in the fantasy universe.

Kolstad helped launched the Wick action franchise, having written the original script, then titled Scorn, on spec. He also worked on the sequels John Wick: Chapter 2 and John Wick: Chapter 3 – Parabellum. He is a writer on Marvel’s upcoming TV series The Falcon and the Winter Soldier and co-created the Quibi series Die Hart, which starred Kevin Hart and John Travolta.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/h...-in-the-works-with-john-wick-writer-exclusive

I hope they set this in Forgotten Realms and use the in universe lore and cultures already in place to create an organic cast of characters and plot rather than some shitty Hollywood Homebrew that checks all the boxes with no thought put into it...

They should re-run the cartoon to get the momentum going.

I hope they set this in Forgotten Realms and use the in universe lore and cultures already in place to create an organic cast of characters and plot rather than some shitty Hollywood Homebrew that checks all the boxes with no thought put into it...
I won't mine Greyhawk, Dragonlance or Forgotten Realms. Ravenloft could be cool too.

I won't mine Greyhawk, Dragonlance or Forgotten Realms. Ravenloft could be cool too.

I think we talked about this same topic in another thread a few months back. Dragonlance would be sick and my top pick (mounted dragon battles in the sky fuck yes!!!), but given the lawsuit going on right now is most likely not happening, Ravenloft is cool as fuck, but feels too Gothic Horror than the High Fantasy the masses would expect of a D&D movie.

To be honest I've never fucked with Greyhawk...

Gonna suck just like every other attempt at bringing D&D to the screen has.

I think we talked about this same topic in another thread a few months back. Dragonlance would be sick and my top pick (mounted dragon battles in the sky fuck yes!!!), but given the lawsuit going on right now is most likely not happening, Ravenloft is cool as fuck, but feels too Gothic Horror than the High Fantasy the masses would expect of a D&D movie.

Has D&D ever been handled properly in film or television?

The Dragonlance authors dropped the lawsuit a few days ago.

No doubt. Yet hope springs eternal, nonetheless
Remember that awful Shannara Chronicles? Reminded me of all the failed D&D garbage I also forgot about.

LOTR trilogy were about the only movies that captured the feel of the source material as far as the fantasy genre goes. I can't wait for the Wheel of Time to get to the big screen, said no one ever!

Guess I'm just being a pessimistic old fart. Lol. Comic book movies weren't the greatest until the MCU either, so yeah, there's always hope!

Last edited:
You could do multiple concurrent series. Forgotten realms, Dragon lance, ravenloft, darksun...

Remember that awful Shannara Chronicles?

God that was bad.

I mean so were the books so what could we expect, but surely they could have done better.

What we need is a Thomas Covenant series, although only three of us would watch it.

I bet the Bloodguard and the Seareach Giants would be popular though.

God that was bad.

I mean so were the books so what could we expect, but surely they could have done better.

What we need is a Thomas Covenant series, although only three of us would watch it.

I bet the Bloodguard and the Seareach Giants would be popular though.
I had fond memories of the books from when I was a kid. Imagine my disappointment when I revisited the series as an adult! Blech.

I'll give an "at least you tried" award to the animated Dragons of Autum Twilight movie years back with Keefer Sutherland as Raistlin. But everything else is Damned to hell
I didn't even know that existed until right now

Back