Dungeons & Dragons brethren... come hither.

Which Class were you

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Haven't had a chance to play since they battled the dragon.

Peobably won't get to for another 2 weeks unfortunately.

We were gonna play Saturday but my AC shit the bed and died so it was too hot to play on the table where we normally do since its upstairs.

Got a few more minis, spider, cultists, zombies and the like for Thunder Tree to finish that area.

Also got some Hobgoblins for Cragmaw Keep. Also I think I'm gonna play the goblin in the kitchen there as Gordon Ramsey the goblin version when they get there.

So I have a fair amount of painting to do before the next session.

I got GF's son his dragonborn druid mini and got it all painted up so he is excited about that.

Unfortunate when real life gets in the way. Where'd you get your minis? I made one on Hero Forge that I'm thinking of having an Etsy painter do. I won't even try to paint a mini. It would look like a 1st grader tried to paint it lol. Post pics of the painted minis?

Gordon Ramsey the Goblin? Sounds hilarious. Is he going to invite them in for a meal then attempt to skewer them?

We played again last week and are playing again tomorrow. On our way back to Phandalin, the flower patch we had passed on our way up was now destroyed and scorched earth. Strange. In my head, I thought "dragon" but let my wife and son wonder what it could be. We collected our rewards from Agatha and Harbin. Ordered some splint mail at the Lionshield then off to Tresendar manor.

The bard disguises self as a Redbrand. We bought manacles at the store so we pretend to be prisoners. We encounter the three in the barracks and engage in some dialogue. We realized we hadn't properly devised a plan so we end up leaving the room then come back in guns blazing lol. Somehow I managed to pull off a leaping attack from the top of a barrel, despite my old age. Wife and son were rooting for me to fall. I succeed and roll an 8 for damage plus my modifier which kills the ruffian. Not bad for an old man lol.

We'll see what happens next tomorrow.

Unfortunate when real life gets in the way. Where'd you get your minis? I made one on Hero Forge that I'm thinking of having an Etsy painter do. I won't even try to paint a mini. It would look like a 1st grader tried to paint it lol. Post pics of the painted minis?

Gordon Ramsey the Goblin? Sounds hilarious. Is he going to invite them in for a meal then attempt to skewer them?

I got most mine at a local game store. Whiz kids and reaper minis. Just picked up a pair of Icons of the Realms Monster Menagerie boxes too.

I'll try and take some photos tomorrow and add em on here. I'm no where near good, especially compared to some of the things I see others do but they definitely do the job for table top games.

I still enjoy the hell out of painting them, even if I am not the best at it. Its just calming and relaxing to do.

Played Sat (and the previous just busy af and not able to update)

Druid bish actually saved us from poisons spores...gave us these cool masks to ward off the covid...
DM has been busy with personal stuff so mostly role playing and random encounters while slogging through a jungle/not jungle...where it snows at random and we get attacked by both jungley things and cold using creatures.

Climate change and druidic hooplah is a motherfucker.

After running for our lives from a colossal multiple tree monster, we rescued this other druid form a giant flesh eating plant....that we found out the hard way sprays acid from it's wounds in a 20ft radius when critically hit by a slashing weapon....Trog connected to crit, then rolled total garbage on his damage...pretty sure our annoying proper monk took more acid damage than what Trog did to cause it.

Thankfully the fireball that eventually killed it uncovered the entrance to an underground ruin...where we ended, so good old fashioned dungeon crawl incoming next week

And we are now all level 6.... Multiple attack time from Trog the Barbarian with his fancy new ax that does 1d4 thunder damage on top of his usual raging murder.

Here's the painted minis I have for this campaign.

I have a bunch more unpainted to do and a handful of the pre painted Icons of the Realms one I've used too.

Here's the painted minis I have for this campaign.

I have a bunch more unpainted to do and a handful of the pre painted Icons of the Realms one I've used too.

Dude, those are amazing. I *wish* I could paint minis like that. They look just as good as the Etsy painting services I see. Well done!

bbee280c3864523435e309f8c8b6ed66.gif

The last few weeks I've actually been playing 5th edition tabletop game. I've never played 5th edition prior to that.

Made a Goliath, oath of Vengeance paladin and took the polearm master feat. Holy shit, this kit is fun. The smite damage absolutely wrecks single targets. Plus the opportunity attacks are super nice.

We're level 7 and had to clean out a Church that had been infested with undead. The Cleric casted know undead or whatever so we knew that the strongest creature in the church was a Bodak. We got into the final chamber and I had initiative for first attack. Charged the Bodak, vow of emnity for advantage on attack rolls and I hit twice and rolled a 20 for one of the attack for crit. Ended up doing 12D8 smite damage in addition to weapon damage on the first turn of the battle, lol. Bodak =DEAD.

These came in the mail today. Very cool. Much better than the 3x5 index cards I was using for abilities. Highly recommend. They're single sided so you can just flip them over when you've used your ability.

https://www.etsy.com/listing/975104...-pHQkByA71&eaid=80129408918&x_eaid=abe2226d2e

Etsy has some pretty dope stuff for tabletop gaming. Cool minis too.

I painted this one up for my pally. Lacking heavy armor but he had the polearm.

IMG_20210223_210028.jpg

(Not completed in this pic)

Wow, man, you guys are good. Nice straight lines and no bleed over. I'm too scared to try painting lol. Well done man.
Thanks!

Painting is a weird hobby. You paint your own stuff up and you hate every little thing about it and you see someone like Sergio Calvo paint his stuff and you just want to flip your paint table over and smash it all to bits.

But everyone else likes the stuff you do way more than you do. It's fucking weird.

Here's a couple Sahaugins I did for one of our adventures.

IMG_20210225_192731.jpg IMG_20210225_192659.jpg

For the DnD stuff Im experimenting with contrast paint.

Last edited:
So I gotta prep for Venomfang but since I'm running a group for 2 kids and 1 adult, who are all first time players I want to make sure they don't get TPKd but get the full dragon experience.

The party is 4 level 3 characters. GFs gnome path of the berserker barbarian, her son plays a dragonborn druid of the land, my son is a human eldritch fighter and the NPC they have assisting them is a tiefling hexblade warlock.

I'm thinking of having the druid in Thundertree buff them with protection from poison but warning them strongly about trying to battle the dragon.

If they decide to go battle the dragon I read a few options on how to play the dragon, make him predatory and intelligent and basically make him a tough fight. Gonna incorporate some of those ideas to the fight as well.

The goal is not to have them kill the dragon but have a very hard fight to try and drive it off when it reaches half HP.

We will see how it goes. They have been fairly lucky in their encounters so far and done well in combat so I want to temper that with this fight but not kill them outright due to their inexperience.

Theres a web site dedicated to just Monster tactics and how certain monsters would behave and why. Iirc it's all DnD based. There are some published books too.

https://www.themonstersknow.com/

Theres a web site dedicated to just Monster tactics and how certain monsters would behave and why. Iirc it's all DnD based. There are some published books too.

https://www.themonstersknow.com/
Thanks man.

I've read a shit ton of Forgotten Realms books so I have a decent background on a lot of the monsters and things but always appreciate ways to play them on the table top.

I'm definitely gonna be incorporating this info for encounters.

Thanks!

Painting is a weird hobby. You paint your own stuff up and you hate every little thing about it and you see someone like Sergio Calvo paint his stuff and you just want to flip your paint table over and smash it all to bits.

But everyone else likes the stuff you do way more than you do. It's fucking weird.

Here's a couple Sahaugins I did for one of our adventures.

View attachment 852570 View attachment 852571

For the DnD stuff Im experimenting with contrast paint.

Man, those are good. It looks like you created shadow effects on the torso. Nice.

I miss pathfinder. All my friends like 5e, I’m the only one that likes pathfinder. Easily my favorite.

What are the big differences? I got the Pathfinder game in my PC but only barely got through character creation. At first glance it seems strikingly similar to 5E. If the game uses the same rules, anyway

What are the big differences? I got the Pathfinder game in my PC but only barely got through character creation. At first glance it seems strikingly similar to 5E. If the game uses the same rules, anyway

I’ve only used the books, so I don’t know what you’ve seen, but pathfinder is a lot more customizable than 5e and the classes aren’t as “balanced”, but balanced shouldn’t be the goal.

Definitely a difference in alcohol consumption when we play on our normal Saturdays vs make up Sundays.

Add in our two new players (two of the regulars' wives who have played RPG in the past just not with this group) and it turned in to a hilarious drunken shit show as the night went on.

Original 4 fucked up a plant creature with our 2 new PCs trapped inside it...new PC rolled for the treasure check and hit jackpot on a couple (possibly gamebreaking) magic items, DM let it ride because fuckit,new players first roll shouldn't be cast aside...

Got chased into a cave by a same type of heavy that fucked us up before (DM getting tired of the treasure split argument between us and one of the new players...proper railroading I might add to move shit along)

Wound up alerting the whole damn dungeon to our presence in 5 min...got swarmed by fodder, then fucked up two guardian constructs with some epic rolls...stuck up asshole monk managed to roll 3 consecutive Nat20s on his flurry of blows, along with one max damage roll...

We're all over the country and play on discord (lots of hillarious .gifs dropped in the chat) and roll20. Good times had by all, but some of the lightweight drinkers were feeling it by the end..

I've got some updates to post, but in the meantime, we leveled up to 3 last session!

My son and I both picked Battlemaster and went with menacing attack, riposte, and sweeping attack. Thoughts?

We've decided my wife (bard, college of lore) should pick two out of these three spell options: heat metal, invisibility, identify. As a group, we're thinking heat metal and invisibility. But we do have two magic items we can't identify and the town of Phandalin doesn't seem to have anyone that can identify. Thoughts on spell choices?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back