Dumbest sparring sessions

Imagine this may be more contentious, but the Groenhart Brothers was the first thing that came to mind.

Imagine this may be more contentious, but the Groenhart Brothers was the first thing that came to mind.

You have punching bags for what they are doing there.

You have punching bags for what they are doing there.
That dutch mentality of "hit your sparring partner ever than they'll ever be hit in a fight, then the punches in the fight won't hurt"

When I was a kid me and my friends trained at a boxing gym. The older boys (16 and up) would always spar hard and I remember one day one of them got KO'd cold with a straight right, he actually fell through the ropes and hit his head on the wood floor on the way down. He was unconscious for about 3 minutes. When he woke up he walked around the gym for a bit to shake it off and 10 mins later jumped right back into sparring with another guy, and got KO'd cold again.

I was 12 at the time and didn't think much of it because the older kids said "that's just the way you have to train" but now being older and knowing what we now know about concussions it's pretty scary to think of. This kid suffered a bad concussion and then 10 minutes later is taking more blows and gets KO'd again.

Kinda make you wonder how many potential good fighters or martial artist who have been flushed out of the gyms who spar that way.

Kinda make you wonder how many potential good fighters or martial artist who have been flushed out of the gyms who spar that way.

That type of gym attracts them, just as other types of gyms are better for different types of personality, some people still walk around thinking you need to train like that to get anywhere........how many fight careers have been shortened or even stopped by that nonsense......

the guy with the red gloves who is around 2:52 is a maniac, he really throw a full power heel kick to the head...if that thing had landed the other guy would have landed in the ER.
i have nothing against hard sparring sessions, if both guys are controlled, technical and pick their shots, but most of the time it escalates in a wild brawl where two guys just swing at each other, knee each other regardless of the fact that they could hit their partners face and spinning shit like the idiot i just pointed out. and all that with 100% power...

edit: and then they do these 2v1 spars...wtf is this shit? how to get injured 101?
nvm...3v1 ...
<mma2>

Last edited:
the guy with the red gloves who is around 2:52 is a maniac, he really throw a full power heel kick to the head...if that thing had landed the other guy would have landed in the ER.
i have nothing against hard sparring sessions, if both guys are controlled, technical and pick their shots, but most of the time it escalates in a wild brawl where two guys just swing at each other, knee each other regardless of the fact that they could hit their partners face and spinning shit like the idiot i just pointed out. and all that with 100% power...

edit: and then they do these 2v1 spars...wtf is this shit? how to get injured 101?
I had a sparring partner throw a full powered hook kick at my head and I didn't even have headgear on.

Not proud of it but I lost my shit and dropped him with a punch to the liver knowing full well he had a hurt rib in retaliation.

No footage but in my younger days I thought I was fast enough to simply duck and back out of a clinch.

It was a self correcting mistake lol.

No footage but in my younger days I thought I was fast enough to simply duck and back out of a clinch.

It was a self correcting mistake lol.

a common mistake made by those that are experts at patticake.

Fuck loads. Trained at My first gym for almost 10 years and was one of the old breed MMA schools. It was nothing for us to beat the shit out of each other 6 rounds a night 4-5 days a week, and that was after 6 rounds of bjj rolling, and sometimes they would throw a few rounds of boxing/KB just for good measure.

As well as washing out countless numbers of new people that just couldn't wrap their head around getting the shit kicked out of them every night for months until they could gain some skill, I wonder how different my, and many of the other fighters careers would have been of we spent even half of that time on skill development, instead of just constant cte inducing sparring sessions.

This isn't a knock on my old coach, these were the old days, and he did give us loads of technical wrestling and bjj drills, usually for an hour straight before rolling started. But man, those gym wars were just insane.

typical day of sparring.

315975_2578197620625_1374762621_n.jpg

I dont agree with sparring like this anymore though, unless you have on facebar head gear, a chest pad, shin pads, knee pads, elbow pads, and 16oz gloves. full gear, than you can go at it.

too much without proper pads.

as far as hard sparring chasing people off, I would imagine the people that promote the hard sparring would say, the people that it chases off, wouldnt be able to cut it anyways, kind of like a weeding out process. Cant say I agree with it. I can recall when I changed gyms and actually started getting taught and we sparred light........I was like yes......i get to learn without getting my ass beat, this is great. lol

A good padwork almost feel like sparring anyway.

typical day of sparring.

I used to be be all bruised and have a black eye after almost every sparring session back in the day. They told me it was because I have "sensitive skin" (not because we were going hard like idiots :rolleyes: )and I even got the nickname (I still have it, lol) "kung fu panda" because I almost always had black eyes...

typical day of sparring.

I dont agree with sparring like this anymore though, unless you have on facebar head gear, a chest pad, shin pads, knee pads, elbow pads, and 16oz gloves. full gear, than you can go at it.

That does not look like a fun day at the gym.

typical day of sparring.

Did a girl with pink nails fuck you up? She even put you in that bane gesture.

"do you feel in charge?"

g1360520190826696097.jpg

ok 2nd video was definitely crazy, especially red gloves.

the first video es normal

Back