Dumbbells vs Kettlebells

A single Kettlebell can be used for a true full body workout.
The soviet soldiers used to train that way. And it's less static and more fluid than dumbbell training, thus more athletic.
This motherfucker is the God of Kettlebell and this video alone is all a man needs to be fit lol:

But again, give me a bench and a full DB rack and I will take it over a single kettlebell.

I agree and I like kettlebells but just because you can get a more fluid motion with kettlebells, doesn't mean it can provide a better full body workout and be more athletic.

If limited by budget, you can get much more weight per dollar from dumbbells than kettlebells. A lack of weight/loading is often the limitation to a workout when gyms are closed.

Other than swinging motions, I prefer dumbbells for almost all exercises. KBs are also better for cleans, slightly better for getups, slightly better for carrying. I'm taking DBs though for any pressing, snatching, rowing, arm work, shoulder raises, etc. It all depends on your goals and what exercises you plan to program into your training.

¿Por que no los dos?

StrengthTools-Plate-Loaded-Kettlebell.jpg

Lol, I just realised I was counting wrong on the 10 X 10 Swings. I was doing single arm swings, and counting 10 each arm as one set.

I wanted to order a kB as I have been using them for swings before all this. All I was able to get was an 80lb. (79.4 I think). I was using a 50 for swings, is that jump too big, am I screwed. I plan on taking it slow, any advice?

I wanted to order a kB as I have been using them for swings before all this. All I was able to get was an 80lb. (79.4 I think). I was using a 50 for swings, is that jump too big, am I screwed. I plan on taking it slow, any advice?
If it's just for swings you'll be fine.
What's your deadlift?

How many swings can you do with 50? If it's over 15 you are fine.

How many swings can you do with 50? If it's over 15 you are fine.
I was doing 20 reps with one minute rest. 6 sets.

I’m not overly strong, I usually dumbbell press incline 80lbs for three sets like 15,12,10. I know it doesn’t fully translate, but the 79 lb kB was all they had.

If it's just for swings you'll be fine.
What's your deadlift?
I actually have back problems and deadlifts were doing me a ton of good. I stopped, figuring to work on conditioning with kB swings. Now I don’t have access to a gym. I never went heavy on the deadlifts though. Was doing for reps so 135 I guess. Did some sets of 225, but just to see how it felt. Never went heavier than that for the most part.

Swings are probably the easiest KB exercise to progress on. As long as you're not doing something silly, like trying to do 10 x 10 your first time out, you should be fine. Start with relatively low volume and slowly build up.

Swings are probably the easiest KB exercise to progress on. As long as you're not doing something silly, like trying to do 10 x 10 your first time out, you should be fine. Start with relatively low volume and slowly build up.
It literally just got delivered as I type this. This bad boy is heavy. Will take it slow.

Can also do carries with it. Either unilaterally or holding it like a goblet. KB's are fun.

In my mind KB always wins over DB. Much more versatile.

They have 96 and up in stock. Not bad price really given you’re getting a kettlebell and dumbbell out of it

Just started with the 80. It’s gonna take some time to ramp up.

Start with deadlifts if you have to
Goblet squats would also be good at that weight.
Thanks. Good idea. I was able to start with low rep and low sets, but you are right. I will add those in.

Can also do carries with it. Either unilaterally or holding it like a goblet. KB's are fun.
They're also a better self-defense weapon. Weight is on the bottom, so its a short club

They're also a better self-defense weapon. Weight is on the bottom, so its a short club

Of all the weaponry in my house, I too would pick the KB for shits and giggles.

"Look at it officer....he is mashed potatoes from this 40lb KB. Looking like a retreating french soldier after a cannon ball."

Back