DUMB AND DUMBER TO (Wins Weekend with $39 Million; Joe McPherson's Review)

Update: June 20, 2012

Jim Carrey Leaves DUMB AND DUMBER Sequel

Dumb-Dumber-2.jpg

In October, it was reported that Jim Carrey was set to reteam with co-star Jeff Daniels for the sequel Dumb and Dumber, but that apparently won’t be the case. According to ETonline, Carrey has decided not to reprise his role as Lloyd Christmas. The actor was reportedly “frustrated” by the lack of enthusiasm on the part of Warner Bros. “I would have thought Dumb and Dumber To was a no-brainer,” Carrey said in a statement to ETonline, “after all it’s implied in the title.” Original writer-directors Peter and Bobby Farrelly were going to produce and direct the sequel with Sean Anders (That’s My Boy) and John Morris co-writing the script.

Without Carrey, it doesn’t seem like there’s much point in carrying on, especially if WB was never that gung-ho about the project in the first place. Carrey will next be seen alongside Steve Carell in the magician comedy Burt Wonderstone, which opens in 2013. He’s also teaming up with Borat director Larry Charles for the heist comedy Pierre, Pierre.

I'm not too fussed about Jim Carrey dropping out of the Dumb and Dumber sequel. It probably wouldn't have that great to begin with.

Update: August 6, 2012

Jeff Daniels Says DUMB AND DUMBER 2 Could Shoot Next May

112hmqb.jpg

Before he starred in Aaron Sorkin’s The Newsroom, Jeff Daniels was best known as the dumb (or dumber) half of Harry and Lloyd from Dumb and Dumber. It’s nice to see that Daniels has embraced his intellectual side as well as his absurdly ignorant side, but it’s looking like he might return to form alongside Jim Carrey in a Dumb and Dumber sequel next year. At a recent Television Critics Association panel for The Newsroom, Daniels addressed the progress of the sequel, why there has been a delay and when the project might shoot:

“Oh sure, even more so now. Jim wants to do it. I want to do it. The Farrellys want to do it. They want to rewrite the script a little bit and they aren’t trying to jam it in before I have to go back and do ‘Newsroom’ in November. So they’re going, ‘Why don’t we just do it right? Let’s get everybody organized to go next May or June.’ If everything works out on the business side, that’s what we’ll do but I think there’s more hope than ever.”

“We thought it was in pretty good shape. The studio and others wanted some more work done it. The Farrellys wanted more work done on it so they got working on it and I think last week they decided to push the shooting of it to next year, possibly because I wasn’t going to move ‘The Newsroom.’”

Jeff Daniels Says DUMB AND DUMBER 2 Could Shoot as Early as Next May

Dumb and Dumber sequel, naked Kristen Stewart, and Omar Little in Robocop?

This page delivered.

So Jim Carrey is back in???? Last I heard there was a dispute over something and he said he wasn't going to be in it... It would not feel right without the both of em in it.

Dumb and Dumber 2 with Jim Carrey = 9-10/10
Dumb and Dumber 2 w/o Jim Carrey = 5-6/10

I am SOOO hoping he is in this movie, but I also wish Bill Murray would have done Ghostbusters 3 as well :(

Update: August 21, 2012

Farrelly Brothers Reveal Plot Details For DUMB AND DUMBER Sequel

Dumb%20and%20Dumber.png

The Farrelly Brothers have long expressed a desire to make a follow-up to 1994's Dumb and Dumber, which starred Jim Carrey (Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind) and Jeff Daniels (The Newsroom) as good-natured but moronic friends Lloyd Christmas and Harry Dunne. One of the major holdups in getting the project rolling was Jim Carrey who, perhaps rightly, expressed too much hesitation at the idea of a sequel at all (after his experience with Ace Venture: When Nature Calls, Carrey did not appear in sequels for his other projects).

As more details surfaced, though, it appeared that Carrey’s hesitation had more to do with studio compensation for the sequel rather than the overall idea of a follow-up. With the Farrelly Brothers themselves set to write and direct and Jeff Daniels already expressing interest, it seems the project is back on. Bobby Farrelly recently spoke about the the sequel, to be titled Dumb and Dumber To [sic], saying

“[Jim Carey and Jeff Daniels] are in a point in their career where they had so much fun the first time that they’re willing to do it. We will make this movie. The story revolves around the fact that one of them may have sired a child. They want to go and find the child because he’s having a kidney problem and he wants to ask him for one of his kidneys.”

According to IGN, the brothers are looking for an autumn 2013 release, and they have confirmed for wary audiences worried about the continued dumbness of the main characters, “I can tell you that there is no growth out of either one of them.”

The Farrelly Brothers Reveal Plot Details For DUMB AND DUMBER Sequel

Dumb and Dumber II is going to go bonzo all over America.

Alright fellas. I got a burning question, maybe someone in here could possibly have the answer.

I heard there was going to be a Dumb and Dumber sequel, on top of that I heard it would be done by the original cast and directed by the Farelly's. Then I heard it was canceled because Jim Carrey dropped out or something.

Someone told me the other day that everyone is back on board.

Can anyone confirm this? I've been waiting nearly 20 years for this. lol

Did the Farelly's manage to persuaid Carrey into coming back for the sequel?

Farrelly Brothers Sequel Officially Titled DUMB AND DUMBER TO

Dumb%20and%20Dumber.png

Though the title has been rumored for some time, Peter Farrelly and Bobby Farrelly have confirmed, via their Twitter feed, that their upcoming Dumb & Dumber sequel is officially titled Dumb and Dumber To. "You also might be interested to know that we are almost done with the Dumb and Dumber To (sic) script," they tweeted, adding their own parenthetical. "I think you're going to like it."

Recent reports suggest that the plot will follow Harry and Lloyd 20 years later trying to track down one of their children. The original Dumb & Dumber represented one of Carrey's breakout comedy roles. The film was given a prequel in 2003 with Dumb and Dumberer: When Harry Met Lloyd, but without the creative involvement of the Farrellys. Due to Daniels' commitment to HBO's "The Newsroom," the plan is for Dumb and Dumber To to shoot in the spring of 2013.

yes-2.gif

Update: September 25, 2012

Dumb%20and%20Dumber.png

Though the title has been rumored for some time, Peter Farrelly and Bobby Farrelly have confirmed, via their Twitter feed, that their upcoming Dumb & Dumber sequel is officially titled Dumb and Dumber To. "You also might be interested to know that we are almost done with the Dumb and Dumber To (sic) script," they tweeted, adding their own parenthetical. "I think you're going to like it."

Recent reports suggest that the plot will follow Harry and Lloyd 20 years later trying to track down one of their children. The original Dumb & Dumber represented one of Carrey's breakout comedy roles. The film was given a prequel in 2003 with Dumb and Dumberer: When Harry Met Lloyd, but without the creative involvement of the Farrellys. Due to Daniels' commitment to HBO's "The Newsroom," the plan is for Dumb and Dumber To to shoot in the spring of 2013.

DGL, any news on a Dumb and Dumber sequel? Is it still going down or have people completely written it off and will bring it up again in another 8 months?

DGL, any news on a Dumb and Dumber sequel? Is it still going down or have people completely written it off and will bring it up again in another 8 months?

It hasn't been officially greenlit. They're still working on the script. Carrey and Daniels are interested in coming back.

Update: June 10, 2013

Warner Bros. Drops the Farrelly's DUMB AND DUMBER Sequel

20130314-142858.jpg

Dumb and Dumber To is up for grabs. The planned sequel to one of the biggest comedies of the 1990s has been in the works for years at New Line Cinema. But now sources tell The Hollywood Reporter that New Line parent Warner Bros. is declining to move forward and will allow the project be shopped to other studios.

Jim Carrey and Jeff Daniels are attached to reprise their starring roles, and Bobby and Peter Farrelly are back in the directors’ chair for a sequel that would see Carrey and Daniels hit the road to find Daniels’ illegitimate daughter for a kidney transplant.

Sources say the studio sees only limited upside in a follow-up and is unwilling to give it the greenlight, despite a budget in the low $30 million range. (The decision comes in the wake of the poor box office performance of The Incredible Burt Wonderstone. That movie also cost in the $30 million range but grossed only $22 million domestically.) The Farrellys now will seek a new financier and distributor for the project.

Warner Bros. Drops DUMB AND DUMBER Sequel; The Farrelly Bros. Shop Elsewhere

Back