DUMB AND DUMBER TO (Wins Weekend with $39 Million; Joe McPherson's Review)

I didn't hate it like I thought I would given all the negative feedback. But I see where you're coming from. I didn't mind the dumbing down. They were dumb as bricks in the first film too with Harry being at least slightly more intelligent.

But what I thought was off about it was in Dumb and Dumber, one of the funniest aspects was that Harry and Lloyd were seemingly situated in the real world. So they are interacting with normal Lauren Holly and boozy stepmom Teri Garr and attempting to flirt with the undercover agent and it's all funny shit. But in Dumb and Dumber To it was like a cartoon world- so few of the characters seemed normal/credible so they almost matched Harry and Lloyd's off-ness rather than contrasting it to highlight the funny.

It was like a cartoon world. I don't know if any of you saw the Farrellys Three Stooges (I watched about ten minutes of it) but it had a similar vibe to that in my opinion.

What i did feel was that Carey much more seamlessly went back into Christmas mode than Daniels could go back as Harry. Maybe it's too many years of doing serious fare, but Daniels seemed like he was trying to shoehorn himself into a role that didn't fit and it was a damn shame to me because one of the most awesome elements of the original is that Daniels, not a comedic actor generally, absolutely owned the role and was as funny if not funnier than Carey.

What I did like were some of the callback jokes to the original. You could see the "that's why he gets all the hot ladies" line coming from a mile away but I still laughed. There were some similar throwback gags that I liked too.

This is a pretty good review - thx.

I still liked it, and have seen it 3x (I believe). But Jeff Daniels did have a tougher time pulling off his role than Carrey with Lloyd. I thought the car ride/road trip aspect was hilarious for as short-lived a period as it was. I also thought the part at the house where Lloyd was talking on the phone with Harry - that whole sequence was really funny. Also, Lloyd's interaction with the dumb daughter was great.

Really, the only part I didn't care for so much was the conference rudeness and potty humour. I don't even remember it all but it sort of drug on, wasn't that funny and was more awkward than anything.

But I did think overall it was still very funny with lots of laughs. I'll still give it a revised 8/10.

Such an insult to the original. I remember when the first one came out on videotape and everyone LOL'ing watching it. Shame on these guys for just cashing in, but fuck it who wouldnt

This movie was a pile of crap. Maybe even worse than Dumb and Dumberer. Utter rubbish.

This is a pretty good review - thx.

I still liked it, and have seen it 3x (I believe). But Jeff Daniels did have a tougher time pulling off his role than Carrey with Lloyd. I thought the car ride/road trip aspect was hilarious for as short-lived a period as it was. I also thought the part at the house where Lloyd was talking on the phone with Harry - that whole sequence was really funny. Also, Lloyd's interaction with the dumb daughter was great.

Really, the only part I didn't care for so much was the conference rudeness and potty humour. I don't even remember it all but it sort of drug on, wasn't that funny and was more awkward than anything.

But I did think overall it was still very funny with lots of laughs. I'll still give it a revised 8/10.

Yeah there were laughs to be had for sure. I think we are in the minority here because I actually too feel more favorable about it than many people. I'd give it more like a 6/10 but still I did think there were definitely funny elements and I don't feel bad about having watched it.

Haha. Thanks. Funny thing is I started typing the double r and it looked weird to me. His name is one I tend to screw up no matter how many times I've read it. Same with the fact that I can never remember Jeffrey Dean Morgans name whenever I see a movie or tv show with him.

There was a goalie that played in the NHL that went by Jim Carey. Don't let Macho's post whoring disturb your typos bro.

careyauto.jpg

Last edited:
Back