Duke Roufus: Muay Thai is not worth it.It doesn't take much talent to kick to the leg

I believe if Askren was in UFC, he would be the Champ easy.

He was getting worked in his last fight before the eye poke. While the guy he fought may have a ton of fights, he has never fought, much less beat, anyone that would even sniff top 10 UFC welterweights.

MMA yes. Self defense? hardly. While it is certainly applicable for self defense and I'm not knocking it, it is certainly not needed. Western boxing and Judo have served me just fine.

you say ''hardly''

then you say ''certainly applicable''

then you say ''certainly not needed''

then you announce that you don't use it

i'm just not seeing a flow of rational thoughts here... it seems you're trying to give an opinion on something that you do not use (muay thai) while attempting to pass it off as being a general rule of thumb

[YT]1x4mWzE1A0c[/YT]

I actually like Duke Roufus, and respect his skill...
I like Askren too, but I'm embarrassed for Duke that Ben trains at Roufusport.

You can't expect all students to become nearly as good as the teacher. That's not on Roufus.

His prized pupil, Anthony Pettis, considers Samart, who is widely recognised as the GOAT nak muay and likely the greatest overall stand-up fighter we have ever seen on this planet, his idol.

Didn't know that. That's great.

I am surprised by how few MMA fans know Samart or any of the other amazing Thais. I'm also surprised to hear big name fighters like McGregor for example, dismissing MT, which to me says that he and his trainers have never heard of Samart and know next to nothing about high level MT.

Huh. That is really bad for someone who is supposed to be one of the best in the world.

He's not supposed to be one of the best in the world at Muay Thai.

Striking is almost never the primary art of a MMA fighter as in order to strike your TDD has to be superior to an opponents takedowns or you need to have superior grappling in general.

In theory a fighter (like say Askren) doesn't need any striking at all to be an unstoppable force. Prime Karelin could likely take out all but elite MMA fighters with just his Greco. What could anyone really do once he clinched you? Use your Muay Thai?

You can't expect all students to become nearly as good as the teacher. That's not on Roufus.

I train since 5 months and I feel like I kick better than him, but I might be delusional...

I train since 5 months and I feel like I kick better than him, but I might be delusional...

I had better kicks than most MMA fighters when I was 7.

They would still kick my as* when I was 7:)

All this obsession about technique is funny to me. Then comes a wild fighter with his own timing, his own style and you don't know what to do.

Fighting guys who train "propper" techniques is easy. Fighting strong hillbillies, with natural fighting abilities, toughness and unpredictability is hard.

I had better kicks than most MMA fighters when I was 7.

They would still kick my as* when I was 7:)

All this obsession about technique is funny to me. Then comes a wild fighter with his own timing, his own style and you don't know what to do.

Fighting guys who train "propper" techniques is easy. Fighting strong hillbillies, with natural fighting abilities, toughness and unpredictability is hard.

The fuck are you talking about? Proper technique is never a bad thing, it is there for a reason. Also, having proper technique doesn't mean you're somehow limited, it is way easier to do something creative and out of the box if you have a proper framework of technique to stand on to begin with.

Certainly better technique than Askren.

And the speed and the power of these kicks are great.

I bet no reporter is ever going to ask him to, kick him in a leg:)

If Griffin broke that guy's leg, the Bob would brake it off:)

I could train with Marcelo Garcia all my fucking life 24/7 and I'd still never be even close to his level. That's just my point. You could easily be right.

The fuck are you talking about? Proper technique is never a bad thing, it is there for a reason. Also, having proper technique doesn't mean you're somehow limited, it is way easier to do something creative and out of the box if you have a proper framework of technique to stand on to begin with.

It's OK of course, but it's even better with a little crazy with that.

Today's fighters all fight the same. Technically sparring with each other.

I'm training everything, but I do it my way and I don't show other people what I do my way until someone atacks me and I need to fight. So when someone is training MMA and I know it, I know that he is going to have very very sore arms trying to block my punches instead of evading them:)

I hate talking about technique, because I hate to spoil the purety of a fight.

Joe Rogan is not a fighter and he is crazy about techniques. He is a nerd and would get beaten up by our hillbillies and would tell to his buddies that their technique was poor.

Our hillbillies don't care what you train, because they are so damn strong and tough that nothing you learned in MMA schools works on them.

If you are not really athletic and really strong, no technique is going to win you a fight against them.

I'm training everything, but I do it my way and I don't show other people what I do my way until someone atacks me and I need to fight. So when someone is training MMA and I know it, I know that he is going to have very very sore arms trying to block my punches instead of evading them:)

Joe Rogan is not a fighter and he is crazy about techniques. He is a nerd and would get beaten up by our hillbillies and would tell to his buddies that their technique was poor.

Our hillbillies don't care what you train, because they are so damn strong and tough that nothing you learned in MMA schools works on them.

If you are not really athletic and really strong, no technique is going to win you a fight against them.

Not sure how you or your hillbilly friends escaped the eye of the UFC but there's millions waiting to fill your pockets by getting in there and showing them how it's done.

This isn't a fair representation, one of my trainers did an ad for the sand-weighted stand up bags that Everlast put out, and they wanted him to go real slow and focus on talking rather than his movement.

yep i agree.

Cool video, thanks for posting it.

Have you seen some people trying to kick a bag? lol

6613_1195176922115_1309219900_53901.jpg

COMPLETELY exhausted after throwing 5 kicks? Do you hate Sapp that much that you had to post this video?

I was going to say that but it's obvious he's already gassed from his training that day. It's nice he can throw big kicks at a heavy bag but they are too slow and lumbering to be effective in a fight. Can you imagine him missing a kick like that? He'd spin 720 degrees before stopping.

What I hear is "I train UFC, bro."

He said similar things when Rick was abused by Changpuek Kietsongrit back in the 88. You can find the video on YT. I think Rick went out on a stretcher.

Whatever Duke says now, he and Rick have been to Thailand to train and having trained under Rick, I can assure you they teach a style very close to Dutch Muay Thai kickboxing to his students..

Back