Duke Roufus: Muay Thai is not worth it.It doesn't take much talent to kick to the leg

Lawblaw

Black Belt
@Black
Reaction score
Old video but I thought it was interesting

[YT]watch?v=Lpl_7w8-jTE[/YT]

Muay Thai is very rough on the body but its a must knowledge for self-defense and MMA. That being said, we need more full contact karate/kickboxing.

Have you seen some people trying to kick a bag? lol

Have you seen some people trying to kick a bag? lol

[YT]1x4mWzE1A0c[/YT]

I actually like Duke Roufus, and respect his skill...
I like Askren too, but I'm embarrassed for Duke that Ben trains at Roufusport.

Last edited:
Thanks for the share TS, awesome fight to watch before I clock out for bed.

Huh. That is really bad for someone who is supposed to be one of the best in the world.

This isn't a fair representation, one of my trainers did an ad for the sand-weighted stand up bags that Everlast put out, and they wanted him to go real slow and focus on talking rather than his movement.

Who did he eventually learn Thai boxing from? I know ill probably catch some flak but alot of his students dont come off like being particularly good thai boxers for him switching over to it later.

[YT]1x4mWzE1A0c[/YT]

I believe if Askren was in UFC, he would be the Champ easy.

Muay Thai is very rough on the body but its a must knowledge for self-defense and MMA. That being said, we need more full contact karate/kickboxing.

MMA yes. Self defense? hardly. While it is certainly applicable for self defense and I'm not knocking it, it is certainly not needed. Western boxing and Judo have served me just fine.

This isn't a fair representation, one of my trainers did an ad for the sand-weighted stand up bags that Everlast put out, and they wanted him to go real slow and focus on talking rather than his movement.

He's not talking while he's kicking though. And you can go slow and have good form... The video is just funny.

Can't see vid but he changed his view after seeing his bro get low kicked to oblivion by a Thai who wasn't allowed to use elbows or clinching. His brother got stopped by low kicks in multiple fights after as well, and he incorporated Thai techniques into his training later as well, and visits Thailand and is friends with some well known names there now. His prized pupil, Anthony Pettis, considers Samart, who is widely recognised as the GOAT nak muay and likely the greatest overall stand-up fighter we have ever seen on this planet, his idol.

[YT]FjPAWx3W03M[/YT]

“I really changed my opinion after I saw my brother Rick fight Thailand’s Chuengpuek. I did an interview after the fight and put down the leg kicks, and said that they did not require much skill. I went to a few seminars that used leg kicks and it changed my mind very quickly.”

Last edited:
Still, muscle memory and bone conditioning cant hurt.

That happens when you get your thigh hammered by Kiatsongrit.

[YT]1x4mWzE1A0c[/YT]

His "high kick" is really the same as his middle kick, only even more awkward since he's trying to kick higher than he can.

[YT]1x4mWzE1A0c[/YT]

Lmaooo!! Yeah it doesn't take any talent, Duke.

Back