Duke Roufus Muay Thai Instructional Questions

Does Duke talk about mma in this, or is this just pure kickboxing centered?

Its been a while since I have seen it, I think he mentions mma but doesn't show any specific techniques for it. Are you looking for mma striking? or looking to avoid it?

Greco is hugely beneficial to the Thai clinch, which is basically Greco rules plus limited footsweeps. I wouldn't sniff at the tricks a Greco guy could bring to the Thai clinch table.

This!

Ok gambledub thanks for clarifying. Part of the reason I like malaipets DVD is because its pure Thai style and its covers basics and offense. I've trained largely pure Muay Thai so Greco doesn't appeal to me although I'm sure it can be useful in mma

Discipulus said it pretty well. Think of Greco almost like boxing, there is alot of stuff in boxing that doesn't work well in Muay Thai, but having a decent grasp on boxing can make your overall Muay Thai striking better. Just like there is a lot of stuff in Greco that is illegal but a good understanding of Greco will make your clinch a lot better.

i'll jump in and say that Nelson's is also my favorite clinch DVD. its an old vid so video quality is not the best, but that's a minor gripe. instruction itself is very good and useful. nelson is a VERY good instructor from all that i've seen.

Here's a pretty good summary of volume one. Volume two deals with escaping and countering positions (inside neck ties, side clinch, double unders etc) and drills on the Thai pads

[YT]EUa_SC0fxL0[/YT]

I hope you plan on learning from real trainers and not just videos.

Its been a while since I have seen it, I think he mentions mma but doesn't show any specific techniques for it. Are you looking for mma striking? or looking to avoid it?

This!

Discipulus said it pretty well. Think of Greco almost like boxing, there is alot of stuff in boxing that doesn't work well in Muay Thai, but having a decent grasp on boxing can make your overall Muay Thai striking better. Just like there is a lot of stuff in Greco that is illegal but a good understanding of Greco will make your clinch a lot better.

Here's a pretty good summary of volume one. Volume two deals with escaping and countering positions (inside neck ties, side clinch, double unders etc) and drills on the Thai pads

[YT]EUa_SC0fxL0[/YT]

looking for mma striking

In duke roufus's Muay Thai DVD set does the camera show the foot pivots during the punching tutorial?

Hey there,
I've trained with Duke a bit and my school was affiliated with his (looking to start that again soon), so I got a really good look at how and what he teaches. Duke spent a couple years training in Thailand at Sityodtong and Jocky (I think) so he definitely has "authentic" Muay Thai as part of his game. That said he did a lot of old school Kickboxing (karate style) as well as some Boxing so his style really is an amalgamation of many different things.
When I was there at his gym I asked him to help coach me in the clinch more (I had just got back from Thailand where I got schooled in the clinch regularly) and he was super helpful and knowledgeable.

There's some good clinch videos with Bee (Charn Chai/True Bee) - if I can find them I'll post them later.

Also, Greg Nelson's clinch stuff that he teaches at Erik Paulsons' seminars is gold. Love it.

Is Roufous really the best way to learn muay thai? Cm didnt even have any basic after 2 years. Like the guy above me Vut kamnarks videos are the best

Back