Duke Roufus Muay Thai Instructional Questions

Southland

White Belt
@White
Reaction score
I just ordered Duke Roufus' Muay Thai Instructional DVD. I noticed that his instructional was usually listed as one of the best. However, I am interested in learning real Muay Thai as it would be practiced in Thailand. I also bought a clinch DVD that is often the number one suggested resource on Sherdog to supplement it. Should Duke's DVD give a good enough presentation of Muay Thai? If not, what would be the differences?

I just ordered Duke Roufus' Muay Thai Instructional DVD. I noticed that his instructional was usually listed as one of the best. However, I am interested in learning real Muay Thai as it would be practiced in Thailand. I also bought a clinch DVD that is often the number one suggested resource on Sherdog to supplement it. Should Duke's DVD give a good enough presentation of Muay Thai? If not, what would be the differences?

Duke's instructional is excellent, getting a clinch dvd is a good idea as this is the area I feel Duke's lacks the most.

Dukes style isn't pure Muay Thai as far as I know, however I'm no expert. What clinch dvd did you get btw? If it isn't Greg Nelson's Clinch Vol 1 & 2 you made a mistake!

The clinch DVD I purchased is entitled "Muay Thai Clinch" by Malaipet. It was the number one suggested on many threads.

What would you say is some of the major differences between Duke's style (Dutch leaning) and Muay Thai?

The clinch DVD I purchased is entitled "Muay Thai Clinch" by Malaipet. It was the number one suggested on many threads.

What would you say is some of the major differences between Duke's style (Dutch leaning) and Muay Thai?

The kicks seem a little different, quicker but less powerful. I heard Dukes style had some karate influence I could be wrong though. But yeah kinda standard for what you would expect from more Dutch style, however the real benefit from Dukes instructional imo is the overall strategy/fight options/iq it teaches.

As far as the clinch Malipets instructional is not bad, however it is my least favorite clinch dvd, its 40 mins where as Greg Nelsons is 2 hours. Heres some other clinch stuff from youtube that is good (im tall so I love the Thai clinch)

[YT]t7e220ARj70[/YT]
[YT]SQZ9itZ0cAE[/YT]
[YT]4ZYhyW8pz3Q[/YT]
[YT]14ZAqsvvmGk[/YT]
[YT]uXkb9lAACFI[/YT]
[YT]lORzECgTLw0[/YT]
[YT]XQB7yo0wYkM[/YT]
[YT]TLZCBaqH95s[/YT]
[YT]Co-rINOoMn8[/YT]
[YT]rYmDwDnjXCE[/YT]

yeah I posted that one its really good! the only think that I dislike is its lack of organization of techniques

Ha oh right thought you might have. Videos don't show up on my iPad for some reason, ye i understand what you mean but I learnt a few little tricks that I use in clinching and it seems to work most of the time. It's a good watch anyway. I'll log on on my laptop and see the other videos you posted as clinchwork seems to be the weakest part of my game,

The kicks seem a little different, quicker but less powerful. I heard Dukes style had some karate influence I could be wrong though. But yeah kinda standard for what you would expect from more Dutch style, however the real benefit from Dukes instructional imo is the overall strategy/fight options/iq it teaches.

As far as the clinch Malipets instructional is not bad, however it is my least favorite clinch dvd, its 40 mins where as Greg Nelsons is 2 hours. Heres some other clinch stuff from youtube that is good (im tall so I love the Thai clinch)

[YT]t7e220ARj70[/YT]

I filmed that :)

Duke isnt pure muay thai but he has a lot to teach that can help your striking, whatever your art is.

I've never seen Greg Nelson's video but I will check it out now as you guys are claiming its good.

That said, malaipets clinch tutorial is by far the best thing I have ever seen on the clinch and helped my game immensely. I've seen the other videos referenced here and for me, TS, you will be fine if you study malaipet and do clinch work in class

Duke isnt pure muay thai but he has a lot to teach that can help your striking, whatever your art is.

I've never seen Greg Nelson's video but I will check it out now as you guys are claiming its good.

That said, malaipets clinch tutorial is by far the best thing I have ever seen on the clinch and helped my game immensely. I've seen the other videos referenced here and for me, TS, you will be fine if you study malaipet and do clinch work in class

Im pretty sure it's just me raving on about Nelson's set :icon_chee, but that was the one that helped me the most. He also has Greco experience and he puts alot of focus on off balancing the opponent and his clinch style is alot more defensive than Malipets style, the focus tends to be on countering the opponents knees by off balancing and out positioning them to either throw a knee or get a trip/takedown (note: not all of the trips are legal under Muay Thai rules)

What I really like about the set is that he teaches positions rather than techniques, some might not like it but I learn better that way. However Nelson's set does not have a lot of punching or elbow techniques from the clinch, in this regard Malipets set is better, they are both good I just prefer Nelson's set.

But yes Malipets set and regular clinch sparring will make you much better than most in the clinch

Ok gambledub thanks for clarifying. Part of the reason I like malaipets DVD is because its pure Thai style and its covers basics and offense. I've trained largely pure Muay Thai so Greco doesn't appeal to me although I'm sure it can be useful in mma

Duke's instructional is excellent, getting a clinch dvd is a good idea as this is the area I feel Duke's lacks the most.

Dukes style isn't pure Muay Thai as far as I know, however I'm no expert. What clinch dvd did you get btw? If it isn't Greg Nelson's Clinch Vol 1 & 2 you made a mistake!

Does Duke talk about mma in this, or is this just pure kickboxing centered?

Ok gambledub thanks for clarifying. Part of the reason I like malaipets DVD is because its pure Thai style and its covers basics and offense. I've trained largely pure Muay Thai so Greco doesn't appeal to me although I'm sure it can be useful in mma

Greco is hugely beneficial to the Thai clinch, which is basically Greco rules plus limited footsweeps. I wouldn't sniff at the tricks a Greco guy could bring to the Thai clinch table.

Greco is hugely beneficial to the Thai clinch, which is basically Greco rules plus limited footsweeps. I wouldn't sniff at the tricks a Greco guy could bring to the Thai clinch table.

Are suplexes and suicide throws legal in Muay Thai? I don't even know anymore.

Im pretty sure it's just me raving on about Nelson's set :icon_chee, but that was the one that helped me the most. He also has Greco experience and he puts alot of focus on off balancing the opponent and his clinch style is alot more defensive than Malipets style, the focus tends to be on countering the opponents knees by off balancing and out positioning them to either throw a knee or get a trip/takedown (note: not all of the trips are legal under Muay Thai rules)

What I really like about the set is that he teaches positions rather than techniques, some might not like it but I learn better that way. However Nelson's set does not have a lot of punching or elbow techniques from the clinch, in this regard Malipets set is better, they are both good I just prefer Nelson's set.

But yes Malipets set and regular clinch sparring will make you much better than most in the clinch

i'll jump in and say that Nelson's is also my favorite clinch DVD. its an old vid so video quality is not the best, but that's a minor gripe. instruction itself is very good and useful. nelson is a VERY good instructor from all that i've seen.

I appreciate all the responses. My main concern is the Karate influence behind Dutch Kickboxing (yes, I am familiar with the Thai influence also). I'd prefer a more pure Thai attack instructional.

I appreciate all the responses. My main concern is the Karate influence behind Dutch Kickboxing (yes, I am familiar with the Thai influence also). I'd prefer a more pure Thai attack instructional.

Vut Kamnark probably has the best "pure" thai style instructional that I have seen, and is one you may enjoy. The entire set is on youtube,if you want too try before you buy, if you can even still buy it (its quite old).

You may like Bang's set, which is very good. Not very much clinch stuff though and i'm guessing there is a bit of boxing influence in his style.

Regardless Duke's instructional is by far the best striking instructional I have seen

Back