Duke Roufus: He's [CM Punk] Pretty Serious About This. He's Very Committed.

v9Mlqw.gif

I thought Conor was supposed to have style.

What's with this "hat resting gently on my head" garbage.

Money is huge key in his potential success.

Private lessons with a top team gives him something that 99% of up and coming fighters cannot afford.

1 year of full time training with tons of private lessons could turn into the skills and knowledge that an average fighter would take 3-6 years to acquire

He's gonna get a S/D or points win on his first fight. They're gonna be very careful to match him up with someone who is also new to the UFC and probably will not deserve to be there other than to get beat up and make him look good

Second or 3rd fight on, it's gonna get sad.

TBH, I do want CM to do well, but I also know he's not going to be an elite fighter at this stage. Maybe if he had taken it up 6+ years ago. But probably not

Money is huge key in his potential success.

Private lessons with a top team gives him something that 99% of up and coming fighters cannot afford.

1 year of full time training with tons of private lessons could turn into the skills and knowledge that an average fighter would take 3-6 years to acquire

I made this point in an earlier post. I think people are underestimating how much money can be a factor. 6 months might be too premature, but I think in a year he'll be somewhat respectable in most areas, it all hinges on wether or not he can take a punch.

Post facts.

There are precious few facts available.

However, one interesting fact is that the high level MMA trainers and athletes working with him say they think he will probably do quite well in MMA.

Still, He will need a vey easy first opponent or this whole experiment goes awrye.

We're gonna to endure a year of this shit?

I guess the UFC can guarantee an easy win for Punk by matching him up with an 0-0 fighter, Punk will have the huge advantage of less jitters fighting in front of millions

Better be serious or he'll get wrecked.

matt mitrione started in the ufc after not much training and he has improved a lot over the years, punk might not rise as high as mitrione but he could do well

matt mitrione started in the ufc after not much training and he has improved a lot over the years, punk might not rise as high as mitrione but he could do well

The normal rules don't apply to heavyweight where the talent is extremely thin.

What did you expect him to say? "Punk slacks off in training and has no chance"?

It would be awesome if they can mold him into a great fighter. It would be a testament to their school.

That's lotsa paragraphs on hope. Until we know whom he's gonna fight, these conjectures don't amount squat. But realistically, he has abysmal chance for a W; especially after receiving his first cherry-popping jab to the face.

I actually think the opposite. It's not about his defence, personally it will be his offence. The guy has taken many beatings already, concussions, broken bones, the whole nine yards. I don't think it's wether he can take the punch, but wether or not he can do damage himself.

"Hey, we got a new guy with zero experience and we are hyping him right now even though he won't be ready until at least next year!"

I think he will do okay. Championship material? No. But okay.

As someone else mentioned, he is already a high level athlete.

He isn't taking a fight and then doing an 8 week camp to learn how to fight, he's learning how to fight and then taking a fight and training camp.

He isn't training like the average joe blow who is doing 1.5 hours of BJJ and calling it a day, he will be working multiple hours every day on multiple different disciplines.

MMA concentrated training also lends itself to the jeet kune do philosophy of taking what works and disregarding what doesn't. As a theoretical, the average person in a jiu jitsu class is going to learn things like spider guard, berimbolo, and many other sport related techniques. Those all get thrown out. Imagine how much better you'd get at BJJ if you only had to learn techniques for self defense/fighting...a great percentage of the techniques would get thrown out and you could concentrate on higher percentage techniques that work. He doesn't need black belt level techniques, he needs purple belt level submission defense. He doesn't need spinning heel kicks, he needs serviceable muay thai. How much faster could he "get good" at judo if he never had to learn techniques that involved grabbing the gi?

The hardest thing for him to learn, I do believe, will be to get his distance and timing right...his ability to learn techniques I have no doubt about.

I think he will do okay. Championship material? No. But okay.

As someone else mentioned, he is already a high level athlete.

He isn't taking a fight and then doing an 8 week camp to learn how to fight, he's learning how to fight and then taking a fight and training camp.

He isn't training like the average joe blow who is doing 1.5 hours of BJJ and calling it a day, he will be working multiple hours every day on multiple different disciplines.

MMA concentrated training also lends itself to the jeet kune do philosophy of taking what works and disregarding what doesn't. As a theoretical, the average person in a jiu jitsu class is going to learn things like spider guard, berimbolo, and many other sport related techniques. Those all get thrown out. Imagine how much better you'd get at BJJ if you only had to learn techniques for self defense/fighting...a great percentage of the techniques would get thrown out and you could concentrate on higher percentage techniques that work. He doesn't need black belt level techniques, he needs purple belt level submission defense. He doesn't need spinning heel kicks, he needs serviceable muay thai. How much faster could he "get good" at judo if he never had to learn techniques that involved grabbing the gi?

The hardest thing for him to learn, I do believe, will be to get his distance and timing right...his ability to learn techniques I have no doubt about.

Having private classes daily will also speed up his progression. I think his age is something to worry about, though. If he were in his late 20s, I'd be much more optimistic about his chances to succeed.

Back