Dude builds underground bunker from 42 buried buses

This one is just down the road from me, Kelvedon Hatch in Essex
https://secretnuclearbunker.com/

the-bungalow-which-contains.jpg

https%3A%2F%2Fcdn.evbuc.com%2Fimages%2F63265400%2F59053246229%2F1%2Foriginal.20190115-231006

hot-bedding-would-have.jpg

MG_1015-660x440.jpg

The-Kelvedon-Hatch-Secret-Nuclear-Bunker-915px.jpg

12779x400.jpg

The construction project was a massive undertaking. After the hill was dug away, shock absorbers were first sunk 200ft (60m) into a bed of gravel. Then, on top of this, they poured a 100ft (30m) high concrete shell with walls 10ft (3.5m) thick, reinforced with tungsten rods every six inches.
to "disguise" the site, a little bungalow was built over the entrance tunnel so no one would notice what it was. Presumably the 150 foot (46m) communication mast was not considered a complete giveaway.

What’s his trade? Is he an engineer?
His father owned a grocery store and his mother worked in the courthouse. He was an only child and a target for bullies, chiefly a kid named John Dunn, whom Beach reluctantly agreed to fight in elementary school, declaring after he had won that he would never fight again.
Beach was living in Chicago and working as a general contractor and electrical engineer around the time that President John F. Kennedy was advising Americans to stock up on canned goods and build backyard bomb shelters. He figured a better approach to ride out the coming nuclear war was to abandon the city entirely. So he moved to Canada in 1970.

Sorry if this has been done, found it interesting

5cd9d41f24000059007eab29.jpeg

This is Bruce Beach, dude got a load of school buses and dug a big hole, put buses in it back in the early 80's in Toronto, Horning Mills
ark2_4.jpg

Then connected all the buses up like a maze.
Poured concrete on top of it all, then 15' of soil.
Made himself a nuclear fallout bunker.
Ark-Two-Nuclear-Bunker-Bruce-Beach.jpg

Over the years he has continued to work on it (probably not as much as has gone into this post), it is designed to house 500 people.
Powered by diesel generators, it's got running water, septic tanks, a radio shack HQ thing, a church or whatever you call it, a decontamination room. It's got tellys and radios and can communicate overground with any mutant survivors. Loads of beds and toilets.
Bruce would like mostly children to stay in event of a nuclear war. Ummm OK Bruce, that actually makes sense, but is also a little unsettling.

you can watch TV shows about this

Take a tour with Bruce if you will

Government DUMBs exist, also mountain installations like Mt Weather. If anything, reconstruction of society will be done by those who come outside from within such facilities, not the private sector bunker bodies.

It's a nice sentiment though, believing in it serving its higher purpose, without things going all Lord of the Flies down there. Misguided and naive perhaps, but somewhat endearing. The man seems to be a hopeful one, which is nice.

Projects like this are interesting to me regardless, because it shows what a single person can do with some motivation and a focused will. Props to this guy for creating a bunker of such scale, all by himself, whether or not it ever gets to serve its intended function.

Mt Weather

l@nd0

"Hate to be the last 'that guy', but does the bedroom have to be next door to the crematorium?"

It would be funny if they dropped a nuke right on top of it and blew a huge crater in the ground incinerating all his work.

I think he's talking about mostly kids living there b/c they obviously have more life to live vs an adult. No use having a 70 year old take up a spot in the bunker as they'll just be a drain on resources without adding any value and they'll die quickly.

I'd want people aged 6-40 ideally. Maybe 2 older people to help with remembering the past and telling stories and what not. But in general in a place with limited number of spots everyone should be useful and serve a purpose.

I think he's talking about mostly kids living there b/c they obviously have more life to live vs an adult. No use having a 70 year old take up a spot in the bunker as they'll just be a drain on resources without adding any value and they'll die quickly.

I'd want people aged 6-40 ideally. Maybe 2 older people to help with remembering the past and telling stories and what not. But in general in a place with limited number of spots everyone should be useful and serve a purpose.
OK sensible question time, would you allow religion to survive, assuming they are mostly younger kids? Would you share religious or political history?
Or try and correct the mistakes we've made?

And if there was only room for one tinned drink, what would you bring a slab of?

Back