Duddy's chin

MC Paul Barman

Gold Belt
Platinum Member
Reaction score
Finally got a chance to see the Duddy/ Smichet fight.
Shame he doesn't have better defense, but his chin was damn impressive.
He keeps his wits with him pretty well when his head was getting hammered.

Pretty level-headed guy too.

I wonder what's next for Duddy since he lost his chance at Pavlik.....

Duddy is the worlds most exciting club fighter.

LOL. That's a funny assessment, but probably not far from the mark. I don't think he'd do well if he stepped in with Pavlik or somebody of his talent.

I want to see he and Miranda.

I think Miranda would knock him out. Am I wrong?

Duddy is the worlds most exciting club fighter.

More than a club fighter.
He had some bright spots against Eastman.

When he has his head on straight he can put together some really good combos too. Pretty good at going to the body to lower the guys arms then following up with head shots.

Gatti was good at those things, too.

Duddy's not special. Very tough, yes, but not exceptionally skilled.

I'm not saying he was special...
I'm not saying he was exceptionally skilled.

But do you need to be those in order to not be consider the level of club fighter?
Clearly you don't. I don't think Duddy is a great fighter, but he's a higher level than a club fighter.... that was my only point.

I'm not saying he was special...
I'm not saying he was exceptionally skilled.

But do you need to be those in order to not be consider the level of club fighter?
Clearly you don't. I don't think Duddy is a great fighter, but he's a higher level than a club fighter.... that was my only point.

I think those things are precisely what separates a higher-level Fighter from a Club Fighter. Why do people feel being a Club Fighter is a knock? It's not. It's a viable area of employment, sparring partner is considered "worse"...or Professional Opponent. Club Fighters and Journeyman have a lot to be proud of, especially when they bring butts to the seats.

But I don't think there's anything about Duddy that puts him beyond that. Popularity isn't an attribute that lends to ring viability.

Popularity isn't an attribute that lends to ring viability.

I wasn't using his popularity as the foundation for my claim that I think he's more than a club fighter.
I commented on an element of his skill as a boxer - his ability to put together impressive combos and (despite struggling with Smichet) some of his bright moments in the ring with Eastman.

Tam:
What level is Smichet?

Irrelevant. Whether a boxer is considered a club fighter or not is not based off of the level of competition that he may struggle with. Was Morrison no more than a club fighter because he got KOd by Bentt?

We typically refer to fighters as club fighters, journeymen and contenders.... if they are currently not champions.
Duddy's career points to a contender status not a club fighter status.

Unlike Smichet, Bent was decorated ammy. Smichet is a learn on the job, jobber. This isn't just one chump that Duddy has struggled with (and arguably lost to) either.

Duddy is no contender. Contender's are legit threats to claim a belt at some point. Duddy will never reach this level unless it's paid for. He is just not good enough. Simple as that.

He's ranked 5th by the WBA, 2nd by the WBC, 3rd by the WBO.
He's undefeated as a professional. Has over 100 amatuer bouts, doesn't simply fight locally.

He's clearly a contender, Tam. He was inline to fight Pavlik before the Smichet fight. Sure, he struggled.

Duddy will never reach this level unless it's paid for.

Don't get too emotional over it. No one was arguing he was a great fighter. You called him a club fighter, which is usually used in a derisive context and I'm saying he isn't.
Even the definition of what's used to note a club fighter doesn't fight for Duddy.

Just because he gets a fight or is ranked, doesn't mean he's a real contender. ANyone can get a ranking if you fight the right people and have the right promoter. All you're doing is justying what Liu was talking about.

"Don't get too emotional over it" Where is the emotion in my post? The bit you quoted?

Duddy is a club fighter. You disagree? Coolness.

PS: Duddy didn't "struggle" with Smichet. It's arguable if he even won.

He's ranked 5th by the WBA, 2nd by the WBC, 3rd by the WBO.
He's undefeated as a professional. Has over 100 amatuer bouts, doesn't simply fight locally.

He's clearly a contender, Tam. He was inline to fight Pavlik before the Smichet fight. Sure, he struggled.

His ranking and Amateur record only go so far, there've been Club Fighters who have been Titlists simply because of the Promotional Machines behind them. Duddy was in-line at a shot against Pavlik mainly due to Bob Arum's desire to market Pavlik, not Duddy's credibility as a possible threat to the Crown. Aside from Eastman, Duddy's most credible "win" was a questionable decision in a life-or-Death struggle with an ancient Campas.

Antonio Izquierdo has a far greater Amateur Career, and he's a Club Fighter.

I think those things are precisely what separates a higher-level Fighter from a Club Fighter. Why do people feel being a Club Fighter is a knock? It's not. It's a viable area of employment, sparring partner is considered "worse"...or Professional Opponent. Club Fighters and Journeyman have a lot to be proud of, especially when they bring butts to the seats.

But I don't think there's anything about Duddy that puts him beyond that. Popularity isn't an attribute that lends to ring viability.

A-fuckin-men. Not everyone can be a world champion, and some people just want to do what they can for the sport.

is there a category in between club fighter and higher level star?

1. sparring partner
2. journey men/ club fighter
3. contender
4. star

There are levels below sparring partner. Sparring partners tend to be better than clubbers...and much better than jobbers.

Cans, schmoe's, opponents, losers, trash, garbage men, Roy Jones opponents...all of these are below those listed.

Back