Dubois-Joyce talks are underway

fine. replace him with ruddock, bonecrusher, brock, sanders, etc. doesn’t really matter
Honestly when i look at their records, i just see 50 bums who they beat and the 5 or 6 meaningful shots they get are almost 100% losses.

Nowadays you'd all bitch incessantly about these "contenders" beating up absolute nobody club level taxi drivers.

And Tua was a brawler with very little actual skill...if that's your thing then cool but I'd rather watch people with actual talent throw hands.

Honestly when i look at their records, i just see 50 bums who they beat and the 5 or 6 meaningful shots they get are almost 100% losses.

Nowadays you'd all bitch incessantly about these "contenders" beating up absolute nobody club level taxi drivers.

And Tua was a brawler with very little actual skill...if that's your thing then cool but I'd rather watch people with actual talent throw hands.

Agreed, Tua was trash as are 95% of the mythical previous era heavyweights that would have so called “dominated” this era. It’s pathetic. These idiots must have never even watched these guys box, all they do is look at records on Boxrec and highlight videos on YouTube.

man if you watch tua and don’t see skills idk what to tell you. the guy lost to ike, lennox, and byrd in his prime. beat everyone else they put in front of him. rahman, maskaev, moorer, ruiz, etc. great cross defense and absurd chin. great hand speed, tight hooks. not much else you could want from an aggressive infighter.

Agreed, Tua was trash as are 95% of the mythical previous era heavyweights that would have so called “dominated” this era. It’s pathetic. These idiots must have never even watched these guys box, all they do is look at records on Boxrec and highlight videos on YouTube.
I think @KAZSoliloquy is a smart guy. He definitely watches more than just highlights.

I just think we all overrate the past and the heavyweight prospects today are more or less the same.

Stylistically if he prefers the fighters of back then, i totally get it.

man if you watch tua and don’t see skills idk what to tell you. the guy lost to ike, lennox, and byrd in his prime. beat everyone else they put in front of him. rahman, maskaev, moorer, ruiz, etc. great cross defense and absurd chin. great hand speed, tight hooks. not much else you could want from an aggressive infighter.
He did have an absurd chin....

But you're sitting here making Dubois out to be a cookie cutter Euro upright jabber.

Dude puts people the fuck out. I don't care if they're just regional level fighters....if you put big guys out like that then you have some serious pop

But you're sitting here making Dubois out to be a cookie cutter Euro upright jabber.

Dude puts people the fuck out. I don't care if they're just regional level fighters....if you put big guys out like that then you have some serious pop
nah my bad if i said it wrong. i meant thats who he’s fighting. i wish we could see him fight a hard-nosed fireplug type a la cooper, tua, brewster etc. closest thing we have to that right now is povetkin

I think @KAZSoliloquy is a smart guy. He definitely watches more than just highlights.

I just think we all overrate the past and the heavyweight prospects today are more or less the same.

i would just like to see the more upright fighters of today get tested by fighters with that style. i do have an appreciation for big punchers & obviously you know im not high on joyce or dubois but thats just because i think they would be vulnerable to that style. joyce/dubois/yoka/hrgovic would have their hands full against a guy like tim witherspoon.

nah my bad if i said it wrong. i meant thats who he’s fighting. i wish we could see him fight a hard-nosed fireplug type a la cooper, tua, brewster etc. closest thing we have to that right now is povetkin
Chisora is a tougher test than Povetkin at this point in my opinion. I feel like Povetkin has declined noticeably in the past year or so.

Povetkin vs Dubois is possible though...fwiw Povetkin seems to go through wba whereas Dubois seems to be going up the wbc ladder. I'm not sure if that'd factor in. Povetkin probably more realistic than Chisora though, because it seems as though he and Usyk have a fight

i would just like to see the more upright fighters of today get tested by fighters with that style. i do have an appreciation for big punchers & obviously you know im not high on joyce or dubois but thats just because i think they would be vulnerable to that style. joyce/dubois/yoka/hrgovic would have their hands full against a guy like tim witherspoon.
I'd like to see better matchmaking at higher levels.....Price vs Chisora type fights are fun as fuck. Arreola vs Kownacki also comes to mind.

Good matchmaking at heavyweight is crucial, i definitely am with you along those lines.

Witherspoon would be good in this era. He had defense and sound boxing but could mix it up and fight. I like his style of guard

Chisora is a tougher test than Povetkin at this point in my opinion. I feel like Povetkin has declined noticeably in the past year or so.

Povetkin vs Dubois is possible though...fwiw Povetkin seems to go through wba whereas Dubois seems to be going up the wbc ladder. I'm not sure if that'd factor in. Povetkin probably more realistic than Chisora though, because it seems as though he and Usyk have a fight

I'd like to see better matchmaking at higher levels.....Price vs Chisora type fights are fun as fuck. Arreola vs Kownacki also comes to mind.

Good matchmaking at heavyweight is crucial, i definitely am with you along those lines.

Witherspoon would be good in this era. He had defense and sound boxing but could mix it up and fight. I like his style of guard
yeah i just feel like a lot of heavyweights seem to wilt these days. you dont usually see a journeyman or grizzled vet test contenders at heavyweight anymore. they’ll take the punches but they won’t give any back.

Yeah, wasn’t specifically calling out @KAZSoliloquy

Joyce hurts my eyes, hoping Dubois smoke him. He should do but if it goes long...

If this fight does actually get made I guarantee that Joyce belts out Dubois inside four or five rounds. Probably sooner.
IMO Dubois is all smoke & mirrors. His best win IMO is still the decision over "Kingpin" Johnson. Since then, he's KO'd two African tomato cans, a tub of goo in Gorman & an opponent from the heavyweight hotbed of Japan.
The official stats say that Dubois had "about" 75 amateur fights but I've got some friends in the UK that say that the real number is likely quite a bit less than that. And even if he did manage to fight anywhere near that many times, the vast majority of those bouts were for schoolboy titles, junior ABAs & European youth titles. He only had a few bouts vs senior opposition.
Conversely, Joyce fought nothing but grown men throughout his amateur career. And he won the senior ABAs, the Commonwealth Games, the European Games as well as other titles en route to the silver medal in 2016 Olympic
Games. With many saying that he was unlucky not to win the gold.
Add to that his experience in the World Series of Boxing where he had 16 five-round bouts with some of the best amateur heavyweights in the world. As for Joyce's pro career, it may be only ten fights deep but his level of opposition has been higher than that of Dubois. With opponents like Ian Lewison, Lenroy Thomas, Bermane Stiverne & Alexander Ustinov probably being better than anyone that Dubois has fought. And Bryant Jennings unquestionably being so.
Sure, Joe may look slow but throughout his career folks said the same thing about George Foreman & he seems to have done OK as I recall.
I'm actually surprised that so many are picking Dubois in this proposed match-up but that's OK. Warren is good at making his fighters look better than they are via favorable match-ups when they haven't got the goods & that's what he's done with Dubois IMO.
Joe Joyce KO5 Daniel Dubois.

I've watched several of his fights and unless i'm mistaken, i don't believe i've ever seen him slip or duck a single punch. Not one. I'm not looking for the next Ali or Larry Holmes here, just competency, and i don't see it yet from him. He's a big strong athletic dude who has thus far shown that he can smash low level comp.
He's nowhere close to being either as proven or as talented as even second tier 90s & 00s Hws like Tua, Ibeabuchi, Corrie Sanders.

Anyway, at this stage Joyce outclasses him, unless Joe is either chinnier than i thought or Dubois is Deontay Wilder levels powerful

The official stats say that Dubois had "about" 75 amateur fights but I've got some friends in the UK that say that the real number is likely quite a bit less than that. And even if he did manage to fight anywhere near that many times, the vast majority of those bouts were for schoolboy titles, junior ABAs & European youth titles. He only had a few bouts vs senior opposition.

Of course he didn't have 75 senior amateur fights, he turned pro at 19 and you're only a senior aged 17+ so 75 fights in 2 years is impossible. He was part of the GB elite squad however and he did win the GB senior amateur title though in 2016, in his 6th senior fight. It was in an Olympic year just 3 months after Rio where Joyce was robbed of gold so Joyce wasn't in it.

Joyce didn't start boxing until late, he was 22 when he started so the same age as Dubois is now. He had no junior or schoolboy fights because he wasn't a boxer so yes all of his amateur fights were against men, they don't let 22 year olds fight 14 year olds.

91kg-Soloman-Dacres-ENG-blue-corner-v-Daniel-Dubois-GB-red-corner-red-corner-wins-39.jpg

https://www.gbboxing.org.uk/2016/12...mestic-title-in-2016-gb-boxing-championships/

Edit - OK I was really bored. More of his official amateur record as a youth, schoolboy etc....

https://www.englandboxing.org/roll-of-honour/gender/male-championships/male-youth/

2015 Winner Over 91 kg Daniel Dubois (Dale Youth)
2014 Winner Under 91 kg Daniel Dubois (Dale Youth)

https://www.englandboxing.org/roll-of-honour/gender/male-championships/male-schools/

2012 Winner Under 63 kg Daniel Dubois (Dale Youth)
2011 Under 54 kg Winner James Mellor (Transport) beating Daniel Dubois (Lynn) in the final.

Last edited:
Good remembering (but Joyce lost every round 50-45 x3). Don't you think that Joyce from 6 years ago was MUCH quicker than the current version?

Dubois vs Joyce is Joshua vs Whyte.
That was Joshuas 15th fight and Dubois has had 14 fights.

If the fight is made it's for Dubois to win and not Joyce (much the same as the Dubois vs Gorman fight).

Joyce is so slow and so hittable now, I think Dubois knocks him out.

Watching any english fighter fight a non englishman with english commentators is painful.
I think Dubois wins pretty convincingly, probably knock out but maybe wide decision.
Only way joyce wins is using the homer simpson method. Dubois wears himself out punching joyce in the face and joyce comes on strong later in the fight.

If this fight does actually get made I guarantee that Joyce belts out Dubois inside four or five rounds. Probably sooner.
IMO Dubois is all smoke & mirrors. His best win IMO is still the decision over "Kingpin" Johnson. Since then, he's KO'd two African tomato cans, a tub of goo in Gorman & an opponent from the heavyweight hotbed of Japan.
Conversely, Joyce fought nothing but grown men throughout his amateur career. And he won the senior ABAs, the Commonwealth Games, the European Games as well as other titles en route to the silver medal in 2016 Olympic
Games. With many saying that he was unlucky not to win the gold.
Add to that his experience in the World Series of Boxing where he had 16 five-round bouts with some of the best amateur heavyweights in the world. As for Joyce's pro career, it may be only ten fights deep but his level of opposition has been higher than that of Dubois. With opponents like Ian Lewison, Lenroy Thomas, Bermane Stiverne & Alexander Ustinov probably being better than anyone that Dubois has fought. And Bryant Jennings unquestionably being so.
Sure, Joe may look slow but throughout his career folks said the same thing about George Foreman & he seems to have done OK as I recall.
I'm actually surprised that so many are picking Dubois in this proposed match-up but that's OK. Warren is good at making his fighters look better than they are via favorable match-ups when they haven't got the goods & that's what he's done with Dubois IMO.
Joe Joyce KO5 Daniel Dubois.

Good post. Before I read this I was ready to put my penny in and say that I thought Joyce would win. I'm really on the fence though. I just think I can see Joyce taking Dubois's power and taking him into deep waters and drowning him. The guy has an engine like no other and his punches although look like he's punching underwater seem to have real impact. I think Joyce is a tough prospect for anyone in HW boxing. Dubois has talent though and does have real power. He's young as well so I see him having a real future in the sport but he's a fair bit smaller than Joyce so it will be interesting to see how he copes with the reach and height disadvantage. I wouldn't blame anyone for picking either fighter but like you I think Joyce is more proven at the highest levels of the sport. And he definitely got robbed of Olympic gold by Yoka.

I took a brief look at them and while Joes punches do look oddly slow he's quite good at always moving and has pretty decent head movement as well. This could be real troublesome for Dubois. I think he can land some though so it will really depend on how clean he can land and if he can hurt him. I was kind of leaning Dubois before but think I'm leaning Joyce now. I'll take a better look at some point though.

Back