Drysdale MMA Debut

Dirty Deeds

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I'm stuck at work and cannot order the web feed. Does anyone know what's happening on the card?

I think this is not his debut. Almost a year ago he was on a card in las vegas.

I don't want to bash a fighter but why such a low level guy? seems unneccesary, Drysdale is a great grappler, has access to top notch MMA training, probably trained for quite some time. feel bad for his opponent

Say what you will about the Japanese approach but i kinda favour that

Jiu Jitsu =/= MMA. Rob is right to test the waters and get himself experience before calling too much attention.

I don't want to bash a fighter but why such a low level guy? seems unneccesary, Drysdale is a great grappler, has access to top notch MMA training, probably trained for quite some time. feel bad for his opponent

Hes doing the right thing, 5 or 6 more tijuana cab drivers and hes ready for tuf.

Also -

Robert Drysdale Victorious in MMA Debut -- MMA Fighting

Robert Drysdale's long-awaited MMA debut finally took place Saturday night at Armageddon Fighting Championship 3 in Victoria, British Columbia, and the Brazilian jiu-jitsu wizard gave everyone exactly what they came to see: a first round submission win.

Drysdale, who entered the bout with a 1-0 amateur record, submitted Bas Huveneers via arm triangle at 1:12 in round 1.

The 2007 Abu Dhabi Combat Club Submission Wrestling World Championship's open division winner told MMA Fighting last week that he has a four-fight deal with AFC. He expects to fight for the Canadian-based organization one more time this year before finishing his contract in the first half of 2011. He then hopes to sign a deal with either Strikeforce or the UFC.

Below are the full results from AFC 3: Evolution, including former UFC fighter Kalib Starnes middleweight title win, courtesy of TopMMANews.com.

Kalib Starnes Defeated Nick Hinchliffe by Submission (Armbar) at 3:49 of Round 1 - AFC Middleweight title fight
Robert Drysdale defeated Bastien Huveneers by Submission (Side Choke) at 1:12 of Round 1
Nick Driedger defeated Baz Cunningham by Submission (Rear Naked Choke) at 2:18 of Round 1
Mike Hackert defeated Dan MacIver by Unanimous Decision
Diego Wilson defeated Dan Lin by Technical Submission (referee stoppage armbar) at 0:46 of Round 1
Justin Shaw defeated Rob McCormack by TKO (Strikes) at 0:19 of Round 1
Misha Cirkunov defeated Shawn Pauliuk by TKO (Strikes) at 0:57 of Round 1
Derek Medler defeated Myles Dearden by TKO (Strikes) at 2:56 of Round 1
Darcy James defeated Conner Wood by KO at 1:36 of Round 1
Dajan Kajic defeated Adam Gabel by Submission (Rear Naked Choke) at 3:37 of Round 1
Keri Scarr defeated Sarah McLeod by TKO (Referee Stoppage) after Round 1
Conner Riddell vs Dan Ring ended in a draw
Theo Brisley defeated Iury Aquiano by Submission (Guillotine Choke) at 1:14 of Round 2

The guy was 8-2. Not too bad for a debut, IMO. Dae Won Kim was 10-4 when he fought Marcello.

Experience. Not just the few minutes he was actually in the cage but entire process starting with the training camp, weight cut, weigh in, rehydrating, media and ticket sales, being in the locker room warming up, the ring entrance, post fight etc etc. He should bang out 5-7 local fights all the while getting comfortable in the cage and letting the other skills he is developing in the gym catch up to his jiu jitsu so that when he finally faces top fighters he is prepared.

Back