Drysdale: "Don't fool yourself."

Spazzmaster

Purple Belt
@purple
Reaction score
Some training advice from Robert Drysdale.
Also refinements to the far side kimura from side control.

this was very nice.

he's right about fooling ourselves and i'll definitely try those tips on the kimura. quality stuff.

Nice stuff. Good kimura tips. I've seen so many guys in the UFC have the kimura dead-to-rights just to make the mistakes he warns against.

Solid advice during the first 60 seconds from Drysdale that a lot of us forget to acknowledge.

Premature etype-ulation. Whole thing is solid ha ha. It's the little deets. Like twisting with the whole torso. So simple and much more efficient, but I wasn't doing it that way. Time to start.

Last edited:
"Gravity is free energy"

Love that quote.

Drysdale always strikes me as a very cerebral guy. Big fan of him.

One time I went to visit his gym and shoot some video, and he put me up, showed me around, and gave me full access to everything- I was with Mir and everyone else the night before UFC 100, I was guest-listed at XS which is NOT my world, etc. I never finished the video because some of the content I shot (with other people) was disappointing, but what was supposed to be two days ended up being like ten because the training was so great and Robert was so awesome to me. He is one of the most articulate coaches I have ever had the pleasure of taking a class with, and think his approach to MMA has been much smarter than jumping into the UFC from the get go. That video is really cool and I believe whole-heartedly in everything he is saying.

The first 90 seconds of this video is the real gold, the kimura detail is just a bonus.

Thanks TS for posting.

I love seeing the evolution of our sport. I think everyone was taught to keep the kimura arm from grabbing the body. Robert shoots that down!

Back