Drug Testing For Grappling Competitions?

Discussion in 'Grappling Technique' started by Broski, Sep 26, 2010.

1. Broski

Broski White Belt

Do they do drug tests for grappling competitions? Or do they not do them for small, local ones, and only do them for big tournaments like ADCC?

2. SuperSuperRambo

SuperSuperRambo Senior Moderator Senior Moderator

I don't know of any that have testing.

3. Varth

Varth Green Belt

Not really. There are rumors that a number of top guys take the juice because they don't test but they are still grappling beasts. Paplo Popo would probably be a prime example. Still the guy is one of the best in the world. Even if you do take the juice I don't see how it could be worth it unless you are in the very top division. Still you can sniff some coke before competition and I'm sure no one would notice.

4. Fedorzilla

Fedorzilla Brown Belt

yeah, it's not "illegal" so people definitely take it.

My instructor (Brazilian) was telling me that he'd been to tournaments in Brazil where they announced "ok, we're going to have a drug test if everyone can come down." He said hundreds of people (out of only a few thousand) got up and grabbed their gis and started to leave all pissed off. They were like "we're just kidding, no, we're just kidding" and people sat back down. Apparently a very large number of top competitors juice and probably a good number of others. Kinda broke my heart to hear some that he knows to juice and who he said he's thinks are very likely to juice.

5. Drew Foster

Drew Foster Silver Belt

I've heard a lot too. It was kind of a downer for me too.

6. Hillary

Hillary Brown Belt

A head organizer of a very important confederation blatantly declared, "Drug testing would end Jiu Jitsu." It's true. :/

7. Supereem

Supereem Black Belt

It's just like MMA, in which a huge portion of the athletes juice. But from what I have heard from the legends I have met it seems that it is more common in MMA than grappling, and in alot of cases its pretty obvious who roids (gigantic shoulders, acne on their back and what not).

8. J Sho

J Sho Green Belt

I'd guess at least 50% of all black belt medallists at the last mundials (men and women) were using something WADA would be unhappy about.

There is no doping legislation for BJJ though, surprising since without it (amongst other criteria) the sport could never be recognised by the IOC let alone considered for selection onto the Olympic programme).

9. Supereem

Supereem Black Belt

I hadn't thought about the doping in relation to BJJ getting into the Olympics.

10. J Sho

J Sho Green Belt

neither have the IBJJF or any other org it seems?

11. notshayndavis

notshayndavis Yellow Belt

I don't see why you'd look down on or be dissapointed by athletes using steroids when its not banned by competition. If its not against the rules, its not cheating. Its just taboo because of the politics going on right now. I think its kinda silly all the things athletes can put in their bodies to cut weight and everything else, and people are fine with it, but hormone supplimentation, all of a sudden its a big deal. Just what you're programmed to.

Personally, I like my athletes on steroids. Its never more fair then when everything goes, and its 2010, the future of athletic performence enhancement is here. I think its nears superstition to fight scientific progress. It has risks just like everything else, and intelligent men are more then capable of weighing that to the reward.

edit: Ya know, I think the biggest reason as a fan I'd like to see them completley legal in American MMA is just to have champions fighting 3 times a year uninjured.

Last edited: Sep 27, 2010