Dropping out of fights..

Discussion in 'UFC Discussion' started by SuperNerd, Aug 27, 2018.

1. SuperNerd

SuperNerd Off Season Mode.

Considering the discussion of Usman/Woodley, and Sonnen recently addressing this in a video, I wanted to share some thoughts and hear from some people who know better...

Are there significant, impossible-to-over-come, logistical issues that stop UFC from laying out basic a year+ schedule. I understand it's not ideal for a promoter.

For example, the third Saturday of Jan., Mar., July, Aug, Dec, there will always be a card.
    Fighters now have specific dates to prepare for. If you're a UFC fighter, you better be ready and willing.

Would this help the rate of drop-outs, or is it too many hurdles without significant rewards?

LouisBolanos likes this.
  2. Slatersan

Slatersan Brown Belt

Chael is 50/50. Half the time he is spot on the other half he sounds like a complete idiot.

Diunx, LouisBolanos, MrDoctor and 2 others like this.
  3. Canada

Canada Fa-fa-fa-fa fa-fa-fa-fa-fa far better Double Yellow Card

Dana asked the fighters and basically none of them wanted a monthly card.

4. SuperNerd

Wasn't suggesting a montly card exactly, just promised dates.

But still, got a source? I'd like to read fighter's gripe on that.

5. Danespina

Danespina Gold Belt

Chael should be the new Dana.

6. Ingjr

Ingjr Brown Belt

You honestly think Dana asked the fighters anything? Don't see it.

JRY82 likes this.
  7. Canada

Canada Fa-fa-fa-fa fa-fa-fa-fa-fa far better Double Yellow Card

I was joking about Dana’s unwillingness to change anything. Just like the weigh ins where he mumbled something along we asked all fighters and they didn’t want to change it.

SuperNerd likes this.
  8. LouisBolanos

LouisBolanos Popcorn tastes good

Chael speaking the truth. If you sign a bout agreement and then pullout, that's an automatic loss by forfeit. People keep asking for Conor to rematch Aldo, when in reality Aldo already lost twice, once by forfeit, the second by getting KTFO.

9. faustian

faustian THE LOOSE CANNON Platinum Member

NFL is a much more brutal sport and those guys go at it every weekend. UFC fighters should be fighting 2x a month at least. It would give them less time to injure themselves overtraining

10. SuperNerd

I don't know how I feel about this. 50/50.

If the fight dates were booked out a year in advance, I don't think I would argue it.

LouisBolanos likes this.
  11. Diunx

Diunx Banned Banned

Lol fuck that this isn't tennis, you can't have a win against someone without even fighting them that's silly.

12. accolyte1022

accolyte1022 Roll to the Goal

LouisBolanos and SuperNerd like this.
  13. LouisBolanos

LouisBolanos Popcorn tastes good

If you're not even healthy enough to make the walk, then the loss is a foregone conclusion. You're basically saying you need to be protected from your opponent and the fight can't take place because you'll get too badly hurt. This is the case in Olympic combat sports not just tennis.

14. SuperNerd

Nobody seriously pretends all wins are equal.

LouisBolanos likes this.
  15. Leonard Haid

Leonard Haid Minimalist Living the Illusory Dream

Some fighters sustain no to minimal damage and are ready to go right away after their previous fight. Some fighters need or want a lot of time off. Some fighters of course get injured during training. Some fighters impress so much at an event, or turn out to be a interesting personality, that the org wants them to fight again ASAP. Some fighters do not impress at all, so the org wants to backtrack some on promoting them, or just put them on the back burner for a while. And then you never know who will win and lose, which can affect future scheduling. So it's very much a plan-as--you-go sport. The results of every event can determine the next 4 months, so it's not wise to plan an event more than about 4 months in advance. Even determining the location of an event far in advance is often not done because you want local events to feature local fighters, and you won't know far in advance if the timing will be good to have them on the card. And the org wants to have as large a time period as possible to swing a good deal with a city. If they plan an event in Boise a year in advance, and a sweet deal in Moscow presents itself 6 months later, for example....too bad.

I think the system works OK as it is although I wish the UFC made sure that there was one replacement fighter ready to go for huge events in case one of the stars has to drop out a couple of weeks up to a day before the fight. I also wish there was a fight event every weekend, but that's just me being a selfish MMA fan (atic).

Last edited: Aug 27, 2018
  16. SuperNerd

I'm not advocating for fighters fighting more often or less.

Booking a location a year before hand is silly, I agree. The problem would be finding/hoping the ideal arena is open that week. Or your booking fighters dates on which arena you can get. That's a tough issue, but not awful.

I think the problem is styles.
    Is it fair to tell Woodley, you're fighting Till, but maybe Usman with 4 months notice? I think that's tough.

You can understand Woodley's feeling.

But, if UFC had their dates planned I think "you're fighting on that date, and it doesn't matter who" is a easier pill to swallow.

Last edited: Aug 27, 2018