dropping back on grappling

Discussion in 'Grappling Technique' started by bbs, Feb 7, 2016.

1. bbs

bbs White Belt

Hi guys,
    Been grappling for 5 years, I'm a purple belt. Feeling burnt out and thinking about dropping training grappling back to 1 day a week and taking up boxing to fill the void. Thoughts? Also anyone doing both have any advice?

2. Mr.Maelstrom

Mr.Maelstrom Paegan Terrorism Tactics '96 you tricks

Personally, I don't want training to become just another thing I'm obligated to do, so when it starts to feel demanding I'll get a little space from it. It's a lot like dating, there is such a thing as too much time together.

My two cents

Harnaik and bbs like this.
  3. kjg1672

kjg1672 Brown Belt

I'm feeling the same way right now. I think if you have a chance to box and feel burnt out from grappling, do it. My old school was more of an MMA gym than where I am now, and they offered boxing classes. My current school is pretty much just BJJ, and the grappling training is much better than my old place, but I wish had the option to box when BJJ gets stale.

4. Se4n

Se4n Blue Belt

Do it. I've taken many breaks and it always helps with the burnouts. Plus I always end up coming back more focused, energized, and have more fun.

5. bbs

bbs White Belt

yeah, my current gym is marketed as an mma gym but it those classes have no sparring witch is a huge issue for me, the other issue is a know the club owner will be pissed if a train elsewhere he is old school like that i guess, i think i just need a break a boxing is something ive always wanted to do.

6. Gambledub

Gambledub Brown Belt

You mean dropping back... for like a heel hook or something?

Seriously though, burn out is a thing and it's healthy to take a break sometimes to let the hunger rebuild imo. That being said, maybe talk to the club owner? Having no sparring but being pissed when people train elsewhere seems to be a recipe for people leaving, if anything you would be doing him a favor by mentioning it.

7. RJ Green

RJ Green Black Belt

i got pretty burned out this summer, ended up spending a lot of time outside and i think it's what i needed.

i've really fallen in love with climbing and find that both sports are quite complimentary to one another.

i'm finding myself re-invigorated and intending to get back into things with a renewed sense of purpose, but for a while i was really in my head about how great i thought i should be.

i used to just show up to hang out and roll. i don't know when it became anything beyond that. so that's what i'm gonna do.

Ton likes this.
  8. Allan san

Allan san Green Belt

Never force yourself to do jiu jitsu. I went from 15 hours a week to 8 and I have found that I love the game much more at 8 hours. Definitely take a break from it to let the desire build back up.

Harnaik likes this.
  9. bbs

bbs White Belt

Thanks for the input guys. I'm Gunna go cold turkey on the bjj for a while, let the love build back up. And try boxing for a while.

Harnaik likes this.
  10. jack36767

jack36767 Brown Belt

If you're just training for fun/as a hobbyist breaks aren't a big deal and like everyone has said, can help you come back invigorated. Just make sure to do something to stay in at least decent shape so the first few practices back aren't hell for no reason lol

If you're training to win a world title different story, then it needs to be varying intensity, ways of training, drilling or going live more, more gi than nogi or vice versa, maybe focusing on Judo or wrestling, playing with new positions to prevent burnout but keep getting better.

I would do bjj during wrestling season when I was getting burned out as change up but still worked on things

11. Zefram Cochrane

Zefram Cochrane Red belt in warp theory and practice.

It's a good plan if you're feeling burnt out and if at any point you want to go back logging more hours you may even find you like jitsu more than before

12. BJ@LW&WW

[email protected]&WW Gold Belt

dont see how it could be a bad thing

13. Harnaik

Harnaik Orange Belt

I'm on the exact same path at the moment. I've spent the last 3 years training 15-20+ hours a week. Training less and having a better life balance is much better for my desire to train, my learning, and my mental well being.

I think a lot of people get caught in the idea that training more is the best thing in the world, and you'll never get jiu jitsu unless you do. In reality, you want to be training as long as possible, so if you have to take a break, take a break. It could be 1 month, it could be 3 years, just do what you have to do.

Allan san likes this.
  14. Mr.Maelstrom

Mr.Maelstrom Paegan Terrorism Tactics '96 you tricks

I've seen guys start off doing 3 days a week religiously at first. 3 months in, their wad is blown or they incur an injury and they typically never get back in it.

I love rolling, but I have no delusions about where I am in the big picture. A friend and I rent out a warehouse space and train there because we enjoy it, not to become world class or anything.

I'm a hobbyist so I take breaks when I'm burnt out, because its a passion and not an obligation and passion can run dry if you have to drag your ass to roll out of a sense of "I don't want to let myself or others down."

That kind of neurosis can ruin what should be a labor of love

Harnaik likes this.
  15. Kevza

Kevza Blue Belt

I think a lot of people here have covered what id have said too. We all get too caught up in BJJ I think, as its a great thing to be a part of. But it can consume your life and it shouldn't be that way. I try to find balance now by training different things for spells and its more fun.