dropped in at Renzos

Qtip inspector

Blue Belt
@Blue
Reaction score
so last time I was in NYC, I dropped in at Marcelo's place and had a great experience ( even though Marcelo wasn't there). so this time I went to Renzo's

went to a 1pm nogi class with the mythical John Dahnaher. apparently its popular, there was 40-50 people there! and guessing by the colored shirts and talking to people, most were upper belts . alot of black belts

no warm up which threw me off. a guy saw me and probably realized I'm new, came over and asked to roll. I said sure and we rolled until class started.

John started class and went into tech. he is soft spoken and you have to pay attention. his instruction is so precise, it takes him 2 sentences to explain what would take most a 5 minute rant. therefore it didn't seem very newbie friendly, which was fine by me. he was very matter of fact and detail oriented. very impressive. class ran as most do. the guy who I rolled with at first was a very impressive brown belt and was super nice and helped me step by step ( we did a judo throw and I suck at judo).

maybe it was the class size,but I never felt like there was a target on my back. at most places there is.

*I've read that some feel Renzo's to be impersonal because its so big. I was in the locker room and asked a guy what I should do since I didn't have a lock and you leave your stuff there. he said that everyone is very tight and would never use a lock. I can.t put it into words but I really got the feeling that they were that tight, it was pretty cool

in summary: Renzo's is awesome

what techniques did you go thru?

what kind of judo throw?

the series was from a failed single. basic underhook hip throw into armlock. then diving to triple guard/leck lock position/sweep/ belly down ankle lock. then guiltine from half/butterfly sweep to anaconda. ALOT of tech.

sounds pretty awsome to me lol

aah., so that's why I haven't seen you around recently. As you can tell from my av, I think Renzo is the shit, so suffice it to say I think that's fresh.

the series was from a failed single. basic underhook hip throw into armlock.

Harai Goshi?

nah . my buddy who I stay with when there literally lives 7 blocks from Renzo's . its a no brainer. yeah I've been on vacation, but I'm backto the gym today

aah., so that's why I haven't seen you around recently. As you can tell from my av, I think Renzo is the shit, so suffice it to say I think that's fresh.

Harai Goshi?

It was Tai otoshi, I was in the class when John taught those techniques.

Are some of these big academies ok with a guy walking in off the streets and taking one class?

If so, if I was ever in town of any of the big names I would love to go to one class just to hear them instruct.

I trained at renzo's when I was visiting NYC last april. I knew the gym was going to be bigger then the one i trained at a back home so i decided to take a private class for more one to one training. I took a class with a black belt learned a lot to help my game.

I learned how to make the helicopter sweep from close guard almost unstoppable. I also learned some very good escapes from mount and side control. That when I went back to my home gym some high level blue belts and purple belts couldnt keep me in mount or side control.

Private class is expensive but because I was only there for a day I wanted to learn from a more advanced guy on how to improve some mistakes in my game. And to be honest it was worth it. After one hour I improved a lot on things that I honestly just couldnt pull off before. Also at the gym they were okay with me also jumping into one of the general classes after my private class. Of course I had to check with the instructor to see if that was okay.

John Danaher is off the hook. Glad you got to experience his class.

If your looking for another place to visit, check out Alliance NYC with Lucas Lepri. Just did a seminar with the guy. Hes one of the top guys in the sport bjj game right now so yeah, definitely a destination to add to your list.

Which school do you prefer? I may have to make the decision between Marcelos and Renzos soon and based purely on what I've heard I'm thinking Marcelos. I hate huge class sized.

Yeah, Danaher's class is full of high level students. Lot of black belts, browns, and purples. Few blues.

thanks for sharing! i always wanted to go to marcellos and give it a shot but i would also of liked to train at renzos.

Which school do you prefer? I may have to make the decision between Marcelos and Renzos soon and based purely on what I've heard I'm thinking Marcelos. I hate huge class sized.

I think you have your answer. personally if I were white or blue and liked Marcelos style , I would train there. purple or up Renzo's, cause of all the talent. different for everyone how they learn

Yeah, Danaher's class is full of high level students. Lot of black belts, browns, and purples. Few blues.

I wouldn't say few blues. The morning no-gi classes are a bit top heavy, but half of a typical afternoon class consists of blues and some whites. Still, no shortage of higher level guys and the blues who come regularly are tough as nails.

I wouldn't say few blues. The morning no-gi classes are a bit top heavy, but half of a typical afternoon class consists of blues and some whites. Still, no shortage of higher level guys and the blues who come regularly are tough as nails.

Fair enough. I've only ever been to the morning one.

Back