DROP SHOULDER THROW (MMA/NO GI VERSION

Discussion in 'Grappling Technique' started by Quiet Russian, Jul 30, 2016.

1. Quiet Russian

Quiet Russian White Belt

An instructional on MMA version of Sambo (Judo) drop shoulder throw.
    It's risky to do it in MMA, especially when the fighters are sweaty, but it's definitely a fancy thing to have in your arsenal.
    Does it worth trying it in a match?
    Would you prefer to practice single/double leg takedowns and Greco Roman style takedowns rather than giving your time for drilling moves like this? Or is it still an option?

Kaffe likes this.
  2. Kaffe

Kaffe Brown Belt

I will always have a place for drop seoi in my heart even in no gi. That being said, I use it more as a "gotcha" move than something to actually work towards in no gi/MMA.

Aside from Rick Hawn's seoi to face punch, I don't really know of many who have used it with success in MMA. Karo certainly used it, but more often than not did not gain any significant positional advantage from it as far as I recall.

Quiet Russian likes this.
  3. Coconutwater

Coconutwater Brown Belt

Thanks for upload. I think it's a great move, if anything, it would cause your opponent to feel paranoid about any tie-ups. A best case scenario is u stabilize side control and strike etc...

In battle, the trauma would certainly disorient the person enough to stomp, or ground and pound, assuming it's concrete or soil.

4. Quiet Russian

Quiet Russian White Belt

Thank you for the reply. I agree that it's a great move but I would do it only if I am 100 % sure it would be successful and I land on top. Otherwise it's still risky because of the possibility of your back being taken. :)

Ez Eric likes this.
  5. Kaffe

Kaffe Brown Belt

Went back and watched a Karo highlight. Dude had more successful seois than I remembered. The one against Dong was especially awesome, considering Dong's pedigree himself.

Man, I miss Karo's absolute lack of fucks given when a throwing opportunity arose.

Ez Eric and Quiet Russian like this.
  6. Chungungo

Chungungo Getting some snow

Actually there´s a Renzo student that did that with standing seoi and being not so competitive I always like to see different seoi nage version for self defense

7. Quiet Russian

Quiet Russian White Belt

I like when fighters bring diversity to their MMA arsenal. We get used to MMA-based takedowns and that's imo a little one-dimensional (though efficient). I would be glad if MMA athletes used more unorthodox wrestling moves in their performances. Yeah, I understand, they put a lot on the line, they don't want to risk, but at the end of the day it all comes down to spectacular action.

8. radman

radman Purple Belt

Hip throws and trips are occasionally used, not necessarily just from someone who has a background in Judo or Sambo like Lombard and Rousey.
    But its effective in the clinch and thats were its been effectively employed. It's harder, though, to pull this off against the fence in the cage and that you risked getting choked if you don't pull it fast enough.

9. ArtemV

ArtemV Gold Belt

Mmm, nice) I only use this when I have someone's momentum coming forward at me, and when I have a deep overhook. It is one of my favorite techniques.

10. WaveHwt

WaveHwt Orange Belt

Maybe try throwing your hips more outside instead of under him, like a wrestling style arm spin. Works better for me personally, in nogi at least

11. hanfeng

hanfeng White Belt

if this fails, you'll probably be susceptible to being choked.