Drones

There's a bunch of new legislation, here and it's changing rapidly. Even flying in national parks now requires express permission.
If you are flying them for commercial purposes (and the total take off weight is 2kg+) you need a licence which is equivalent to a light aircraft licence.

3.jpg

Ah cool, I bet that is a lot of fun.

I've been tossing around the idea of getting a medieval one for myself. Would need permits and such in Australia

Drones are hell on hornets.

"Note: No UAV components were damaged during the making this video."

Thank god for that, not sure I would have been able to cope today had the drone got injured on such a heroic mission.

Here's an even better one

Last edited:
Drones is something i only want the government to have really. Yeah i know give them all that power but i cant see government officials objecting to only the state having drones.

Kind of a weird take on it.
These were children's toys a few years ago.

I've been tossing around the idea of getting a medieval one for myself. Would need permits and such in Australia

It's a state based thing. Only Queensland has crossbow licences.

That's where I live

At least a class M licence is pretty straightforward.
We don't have any licence or permit requirements for them in SA, but they won't sell you one unless you're a member of an archery club.

The main reason not to shoot one, especially if it's floating, would be that the bullet might hit someone or something. Obviously this is less of a concern in a rural area.

Just use a shotgun.

The shot beads will disperse after a certain distance (depending on shot velocity and length of barrel). When they fall to the ground, even if it were to fall onto a person, it would just feel like gravel falling on your head.

Queensland requires you to get a license or permit for a freakin' crossbow?

Now you see why us Americans never gave an inch. Otherwise we'd be in the exact same boat you're in right now.

If I so desired, I could walk in to any Walmart in this area of the country, and walk out with a 405 feet per second crossbow within 5 minutes.

Any nation that claims to protect its citizens freedom, eventually has to allow it's citizens to be free to do something.

Just use a shotgun.

The shot beads will disperse after a certain distance (depending on shot velocity and length of barrel). When they fall to the ground, even if it were to fall onto a person, it would just feel like gravel falling on your head.
I guess my only concern would be explaining that to a cop. He'd probably agree, but you know.

Queensland requires you to get a license or permit for a freakin' crossbow?

Now you see why us Americans never gave an inch. Otherwise we'd be in the exact same boat you're in right now.

If I so desired, I could walk in to any Walmart in this area of the country, and walk out with a 405 feet per second crossbow within 5 minutes.

Any nation that claims to protect its citizens freedom, eventually has to allow it's citizens to be free to do something.

Queensland's not the strictest (with firearms laws, crossbows or other classes of prohibited weapon).
I think they are outright banned in Western Australia unless you owned them before 2011.

I guess my only concern would be explaining that to a cop. He'd probably agree, but you know.
Where I'm from, it'll be 45 minutes before any officer shows up for something as trivial as a downed drone.

They are quite fun. What's the permit process like there?

Queensland's not the strictest (with firearms laws, crossbows or other classes of prohibited weapon).
I think they are outright banned in Western Australia unless you owned them before 2011.
Yuck <{clintugh}>

That's way too much of your personal Liberty to just concede to the state just because it demands it.

Luckily, those of us in the firearm Community have a joke about Australian firearm owners:

Q: Why did the Aussie pour his old motor oil on his garden?

A: To oil all the guns he didn't turn in.

Yuck <{clintugh}>

That's way too much of your personal Liberty to just concede to the state just because it demands it.

Luckily, those of us in the firearm Community have a joke about Australian firearm owners:

Q: Why did the Aussie pour his old motor oil on his garden?

A: To oil all the guns he didn't turn in.

Eh, I didn't turn anything in.
...but then the Australian gun culture is very much what Americans refer to as "Fudds".
If you rocked up to the range with an SLR, SKK, SKS or similar you were looked at as a dickhead.
Pig shooting was the only thing they were considered a good choice for.

Eh, I didn't turn anything in.
...but then the Australian gun culture is very much what Americans refer to as "Fudds".
If you rocked up to the range with an SLR, SKK, SKS or similar you were looked at as a dickhead.
Pig shooting was the only thing they were considered a good choice for.
Why would they look at you like a dick head for having an SKS? It's weight and capacity would make it an ideal Ranch defender from hogs and the like.

Just to give you some perspective, I have yet to see a single American gun collection of three or more guns that doesn't feature an SKS in it somewhere. During our assault weapons ban in the United States from 1994 to 2004, the SKS was exempt in all 50 states.

I suppose I'm asking you to give me a view through your cultural lens for a moment. What is it about the SKS in particular that would draw the ire of the "fudd" Australian gun owner?

Why would they look at you like a dick head for having an SKS? It's weight and capacity would make it an ideal Ranch defender from hogs and the like.

Just to give you some perspective, I have yet to see a single American gun collection of three or more guns that doesn't feature an SKS in it somewhere. During our assault weapons ban in the United States from 1994 to 2004, the SKS was exempt in all 50 states.

I suppose I'm asking you to give me a view through your cultural lens for a moment. What is it about the SKS in particular that would draw the ire of the "fudd" Australian gun owner?

Pig shooters don't usually go to the range, but there was already a stereotype of young guys that bought military surplus SLRs, SKKs and SKSs way before Port Arthur.
These days it's a similar attitude towards guys that own Remington 7615Ps and hang a bunch of "tacti-cool" gear off them.
Even when I bought my 7600P (for pigs) there was a bunch of old guys in the store giving me shit for buying a black rifle.

Back