drinking beer

that's not the way things work around here, I'm not going to ban you cause I don't like you. Shit, I hated Coach D and I didn't ban him, he got banned for breaking a rule, you don't get banned or carded just for being a cunt.

And don't talk to me about moral fortitude and character. You don't know fuckall about me. Just cause the way I live my life doesn't come from a book of superstitions doesn't make it inferior to yours. I can type at you all day about how closed minded your way of thinking is, but you won't listen so I won't bother.

Urban said:
that's not the way things work around here, I'm not going to ban you cause I don't like you. Shit, I hated Coach D and I didn't ban him, he got banned for breaking a rule, you don't get banned or carded just for being a cunt.

And don't talk to me about moral fortitude and character. You don't know fuckall about me. Just cause the way I live my life doesn't come from a book of superstitions doesn't make it inferior to yours. I can type at you all day about how closed minded your way of thinking is, but you won't listen so I won't bother.

Cunt, big word for someone with loads and loads of moral fortitude. I dont live my life from a book of "superstitions" either. If you are so naive to think that your so called facts and truisms are merely mirages in this life than you are a perfect fit for drinking anyway. Your petty attacks on relligion prove how much charecter you have. i do not think of myself as a Christian or a Buddhist, nor do I believe one path is the way to the truth. However the truth is always simple and never complex, you say I am closed minded? Why because I dont drink? That is laughable, as you claim that I do not know you, neither do you know me. What i do know is you have alreday attacked relligion and spirtuality based soley on the reason that I think drinking is a vice. Just because you dont live your life from a book doesnt make you inferior to me, you are correct. There are many other ways however that do make you inferior to me. In case you are clueless to the definition of Vise or Vice. it is

1. An evil, degrading, or immoral practice or habit.
2. A serious moral failing.
3. Wicked or evil conduct or habits; corruption.
2. Sexual immorality, especially prostitution.
1. A slight personal failing; a foible: the vice of untidiness.
2. A flaw or imperfection; a defect.
4. A physical defect or weakness.
5. An undesirable habit, such as crib-biting, in a domestic animal.
1. Vice A character representing generalized or particular vice in English morality plays.
2. A jester or buffoon.

So drinking is in fact a vice, as is petty name calling, spiritual attacks and the general posturing and ego filled ranting that you do on this site. You reek of arrogance, and that my friend does make you inferior to me.

God, whatever and whoever that may be has a way of reminding us who is God.

I just hope when it comes to you, it comes in a way you can recognize it.

So here is to you , vices, ego and all.

Have a nice day Mr King Shit

signed, the closed minded cunt

ok,
1. An evil, degrading, or immoral practice or habit.
2. A serious moral failing.
3. Wicked or evil conduct or habits; corruption.
2. Sexual immorality, especially prostitution.
Subjective

2. A flaw or imperfection; a defect.
4. A physical defect or weakness.
5. An undesirable habit, such as crib-biting, in a domestic animal.
more subjectiveness

1. A slight personal failing; a foible: the vice of untidiness.
of the definitions you listed this is my favorite. Like maybe using shitty arguments and hiding behind antiquated texts FULLl of fallacious arguments to justify your code of ethics instead of developing your own based on experience. By this definition the marxist notion that religion itself is a vice could be correct depending one's opinion. "more attacks on religion from somebody so morally great" you'll say, but you know what? justifying your actions through religion isn't justification at all. Fine, you've taken on faith that something is true. that's wonderful that you have faith. Myself, I'd prefer to take something on fact, on research. People don't just tell me that something is the way it is, I have to understand why and have it proven.

I have nothing against religions or those who follow them devoutly, only those who try to justfiy the way they behave with little more than "these old books that a lot of people beleive in say so" and use it to rationalize their way of life. Anyone with any faith should know that when they bring the bible into an argument they are not helping themselves when they are fighting a non-dogmatic opponent. that's common sense, because most religious texts have been used to argue for so many horrific events that they're hardly applicable to an argument on drinking.

I don't attack your religious beleifs only your use of them in your argument. And if you can't see the similarities between some major religions and superstitions, I can't help you. I'm not doing this with you any more. My drinking habbits hinder nothing, and you fail to see that. If you want to know my full critique of the bible, I'll point you in the direction of psalm 37 and we can discuss matters privately.

Urban said:
ok,
Subjective

more subjectiveness

of the definitions you listed this is my favorite. Like maybe using shitty arguments and hiding behind antiquated texts FULLl of fallacious arguments to justify your code of ethics instead of developing your own based on experience. By this definition the marxist notion that religion itself is a vice could be correct depending one's opinion. "more attacks on religion from somebody so morally great" you'll say, but you know what? justifying your actions through religion isn't justification at all. Fine, you've taken on faith that something is true. that's wonderful that you have faith. Myself, I'd prefer to take something on fact, on research. People don't just tell me that something is the way it is, I have to understand why and have it proven.

I have nothing against religions or those who follow them devoutly, only those who try to justfiy the way they behave with little more than "these old books that a lot of people beleive in say so" and use it to rationalize their way of life. Anyone with any faith should know that when they bring the bible into an argument they are not helping themselves when they are fighting a non-dogmatic opponent. that's common sense, because most religious texts have been used to argue for so many horrific events that they're hardly applicable to an argument on drinking.

I don't attack your religious beleifs only your use of them in your argument. And if you can't see the similarities between some major religions and superstitions, I can't help you. I'm not doing this with you any more. My drinking habbits hinder nothing, and you fail to see that. If you want to know my full critique of the bible, I'll point you in the direction of psalm 37 and we can discuss matters privately.

did you miss where I said that I am not Christian ?

Your facts are meaningless, if you lost your health, your senses, your abilty to think...what good do your facts do you then? The only truth is there is no truth. See how much your statistics mean to you on your death bed.

You are a typical egotist.

without faith, EVERTHING is subjective my friend. Even your own exsistance, your thoughts, all your facts.

"When a man dwells on the objects of sense, he creates an attraction for them; attraction develops into desire, and desire breeds anger."

ok, I lied. I'm going to continue this because you think that facts are useless in the face of deteriorating health and thats just stupid. Do you ever go to a doctor? Medical science is based on nothing but fact and research. Do you try to keep your blood pressure in a healthy range? More statistics backing what this range should be. how about cholesterol? Again, more statistics to determine what is healthy. now, where do you think these facts come from? somebody just dreams them up? no, they come from research and studies and experiments and surveys and new information is constantly assimilated and becomes part of the whole. That you don't beleive research really says a lot about your state of mind.

you don't like drinking, fine. Don't drink, but don't go on some crusade as if it were the worst peril the world faced, because clearly (at least according to research) it's not.

48LawsOfPower said:
did you miss where I said that I am not Christian ?

Your facts are meaningless, if you lost your health, your senses, your abilty to think...what good do your facts do you then? The only truth is there is no truth. See how much your statistics mean to you on your death bed.

without faith, EVERTHING is subjective my friend. Even your own exsistance, your thoughts, all your facts.

"When a man dwells on the objects of sense, he creates an attraction for them; attraction develops into desire, and desire breeds anger."
ky2.jpg

gay14.jpg

Yes.

Urban said:
ok, I lied. I'm going to continue this because you think that facts are useless in the face of deteriorating health and thats just stupid. Do you ever go to a doctor? Medical science is based on nothing but fact and research. Do you try to keep your blood pressure in a healthy range? More statistics backing what this range should be. how about cholesterol? Again, more statistics to determine what is healthy. now, where do you think these facts come from? somebody just dreams them up? no, they come from research and studies and experiments and surveys and new information is constantly assimilated and becomes part of the whole. That you don't beleive research really says a lot about your state of mind.

you don't like drinking, fine. Don't drink, but don't go on some crusade as if it were the worst peril the world faced, because clearly (at least according to research) it's not.

I feel sorry for you when you die.

This has to be one of the lamest things ever, arguing with some atheist asshole about things he can never understand. i htink its time to retire my Sherdog experience. Its mostly a bunch of keyboard warriors wasting time anyway. Later....Im off to jujitsu class

48LawsOfPower said:
Look the word up. i'm not ashamed to say I did. Here is a comparison between and egoist and an egotist:
http://www.tiscali.co.uk/reference/dictionaries/english/data/d0081996.html
There is a considerable overlap between the words, but a difference exists. An egoist is someone who is self-centred or selfish, often without realising it: He's a proper egoist, never thinking to enquire about the needs or wishes of anyone else. An egotist is an arrogant or conceited person, always talking about himself: She's a real egotist, always on about what she has done or is planning to do.
now, as a potential firefighter and EMT, I'm not sure how either of those applies to me. A true egotist wouldn't give a flying fuck about other people. So, I'm not sure what you meant.

48LawsOfPower said:
I feel sorry for you when you die.

This has to be one of the lamest things ever, arguing with some atheist asshole about things he can never understand. i htink its time to retire my Sherdog experience. Its mostly a bunch of keyboard warriors wasting time anyway. Later....Im off to jujitsu class
Save your pity, and I'm not an atheist.

Fucking chill and lets get talking about training. Seriously, stop arguing, bitches. = )

I am an athiest! Horay! (Directs attention to this side of the room)

GOD does not exist!

This has been the most intertaining thread all day.

Urban, you can't convince the blind. This reminds me of arguements I've had about creationism vs evolution. They are just as amusing.

Me: With creationism how do you explain the fact of all the conservation of the cellular mechanisms in the cell, such as DNA transcription, tranlation and how the are basically the same in all organisms?

Them: It doesn't matter, evolution is dumb, I didn't evolve from an ape, you are wrong, read a bible.

Me: What about dinosaurs? We have ample evidence they existed, where do they fit in on your timeline?

Them: I don't care, you are wrong, its simple, creationism is the answer.

Me: What about the evidence of a large supercontinent called pangea?

Them: You are stupid and I refuse to argue with you. We must agree to disagree.

Me: ????????

Not to add to the flame war, but I think some are over emphasizing the possible positive health effects of alcohol.

The only real possible benefit I know of, is alcohol is reported to lead to a small increase in HDL(good cholesterol) levels. Which may help, if you weigh over 300 pounds and dont exercise, you are going to need all the help you can get, but for normal weight, well exercised, healthy diet individuals the increase will be neligable.

Lets face it, if you look at overweight, and obese levels in the US, and then have to do a study on a represenative sample. If your study is truly represenative for statistical purposes, 65% of your subjects will be either overweight or obese. I would go one step further and say, 65% of the subjects could be defined as unhealthy. Which is a major problem facing medical research in the US, IMHO.

The other benefits of Alchololic bevereages are usually caused by non-alcholol ingredients. The anti-oxidants in red wine are found in red grape juice too. Same for most beers.

Most benefits are linked to reducded heart disease and stroke prevention, but the AHA states

"How alcohol or wine affects cardiovascular risk merits further research, but right now the American Heart Association does not recommend drinking wine or any other form of alcohol to gain these potential benefits"

Personally, I drink to enjoy the alcohol, I dont pretend I am doing my body some favor. I enjoy drinking and in the long run just being happier is probably more health beneficial than any possible heart disease benefit alcohol has.

I would like to announce that I have had my 2 beers tonight and I feel healthier already.

To get back to the posters orginal question, here is one negative side effect of even moderatley drinking alcohol, that can effect training.

"A moderate dose of alcohol consumed as much as 6 hours before bedtime can increase wakefulness during the second half of sleep. By the time this effect occurs, the dose of alcohol consumed earlier has already been eliminated from the body, suggesting a relatively long-lasting change in the body's mechanisms of sleep regulation"

(1)
Alcohol-induced sleepiness and memory function
Alcohol Health Res World 19(2):130-135, 1995

(2)
Late-afternoon ethanol intake affects nocturnal sleep and the sleep EEG in middle-aged men
Psychopharmacol 16(6):428-436, 1996

(3)
Sleep, alcohol and alcohol abuse
Addict Biol (2):151-158, 1997

Back