drinking beer

Dutch1

Yellow Belt
@Yellow
Reaction score
Ive began lifting weights for the past 2 weeks, i am drinking 2 servings of protien, and changed my diet to a healthy hi protien/carbs diet. I just want to know if i drink two full strengh beers a week, will that make a difference in my trainning? i want to get good abs also, but mainly will it effect my protien intake?

two beers? If your diet is straight it shouldn't hurt too much. But then again it won't help at all. If you have to do it...but I suggest cutting that shit out of your diet.

It definately will not help you get good abs.

It also won't hurt your protein intake.

There's a book I want to get called "how to drink more and live longer" on drinking alchohol and staying healthy while doing it... maybe you couldlook into it and get back to us? I'm broke. In any event, no. Two beers a week isn't going to do any damage. In fact I say that two beers a day is good for you (and I'm pretty sure that there are studies backing me up on this... more about wine, but beer aint bad so long as it isn't that pus- but I digress). Drink your beer and enjoy life, you'll be fine.

Urban said:
There's a book I want to get called "how to drink more and live longer" on drinking alchohol and staying healthy while doing it... maybe you couldlook into it and get back to us? I'm broke. In any event, no. Two beers a week isn't going to do any damage. In fact I say that two beers a day is good for you (and I'm pretty sure that there are studies backing me up on this... more about wine, but beer aint bad so long as it isn't that pus- but I digress). Drink your beer and enjoy life, you'll be fine.

Haha, I have that book. Its wonderful. Its seriously a perodization table for drinking including what you drink (hard or soft), how many drinks are allowed per day (from 2 to unlimited) including unloading weeks for your liver and weeks of soft stuff for your esophagus. Not to mention what foods you don't want to eat 3 hours before drinking, 5 hours before drinking and just before drinking. There is a whole vitamin/mineral ordeal to make sure you stay healthy, as well as how much food you should eat (via a metabolism calculation) so you don't gain any weight. Oh yeah, I forgot, drinker classes (akin to mesomorph, ectomorph, hardgainer etc.) like the sport event drinker, college drinker etc...

The book almost promotes daily drinking. The only thing that I have taken away from the book is drinking lots of water helps, as well as taking a B vitamin while drinking to avoid hangovers. Its a better conversation peice and something to laugh over. For 2 or 3 bucks used from www.amazon.com there is no reason why you wouldn't get it Urban.

As far as 2 beers a week you will most likely be fine. See for yourself though, you just made a lot of changes, go with it and see what happens. If after all of this you still want more, cut out more inessentials, i.e. the beer. If you loose your weight, then the two beers obviously doesn't hurt.

Urban said:

Urban, you are a six-pack hater. Admit it.

I'm not a six pack hater, I'm a fan of the keg.

I just want the ladies on tap.

I reckon the book you talk about is: Drink As Much As You Want and Live Longer: The Intelligent Person's Guide to Healthy Drinking by Frederick M. Beyerlein?
That's the one I found on amazon after looking around. Seems interesting.

I don't know if this is a myth or what, but I recall that there were some articles some time ago that there was actually estrogen in beer, and that this could hamper muscle building.
Do you folks know if there is any truth in this?

I do like my beer, and I reckon I don't consume nearly as much as would be necessary for it to have any detrimental effects, but...

I only consume alot in the weekend. I could go through about 15-30 beers from fri-sun. Through the week im clean. Hopefully ill be alright

tiny_pup said:
I reckon the book you talk about is: Drink As Much As You Want and Live Longer: The Intelligent Person's Guide to Healthy Drinking by Frederick M. Beyerlein?
That's the one I found on amazon after looking around. Seems interesting.

I don't know if this is a myth or what, but I recall that there were some articles some time ago that there was actually estrogen in beer, and that this could hamper muscle building.
Do you folks know if there is any truth in this?

I do like my beer, and I reckon I don't consume nearly as much as would be necessary for it to have any detrimental effects, but...

This is bullshit. Estrogen is essential to muscle-building. When guys take testosterone (i.e. anabolic steroids) their estrogen levels raise in proportion to the introduced testosterone. In a study done on users who took enough anti-estrogens to completely neutralize the elevated estrogen, muscle-building was also almost completely neutralized. That's why those guys only take enough anti-e's to prevent the onset of secondary female characteristics- like bitch tits- and not so much it reduces their estrogen levels. Researchers don't understand exactly why estrogen is essential to building muscle, but it is.

I swear it's the Dairy Farmers spreading this propaganda about soy...now beer too?

YOU'RE NOT GOING TO GROW A VAGINA FROM FOOD.

unless you weigh lk 40lbs you should be ok with 2 beers. however, i used to drink heavily around 6 beers a nite during the week, then b/t 15-20 on weekend nights, now im serious about training so i cut all that shit out. id suggest that for you if your really serious. also since i hadnt drank in a while, i went to my friends kegger saturday, and i was drunk after 8 beers, it was awesome.

Mick-is there any way i CAN grow a vagina? b/s changing my name to eastman and gettin elbowed?

I never drink alcohol, the way I look at it is 2 beers a week is 8 beers a month. That is 8 beers behind the guy who is not drinking at all. I guess I look at everything in the most hardcore way I can though, I dont drink, smoke weed, smoke ciggs, drop tabs, shoot up, anything of the sort.

you don't shoot up? Really? Jeeze that's hardcore. and I could swear there is research to say that two drinks a day is good for you. In any event, no beer is NOT estrogenic, but alchohol does have a habbit of lowering your testosterone.

Urban said:
you don't shoot up? Really? Jeeze that's hardcore. and I could swear there is research to say that two drinks a day is good for you. In any event, no beer is NOT estrogenic, but alchohol does have a habbit of lowering your testosterone.

the shooting up was sarcasm, I didnt mean to get in a back and forth. My opinion is no on beer as it is completly void of nutritional value. I have heard that red wine is good for your health in moderation, however as someone who takes training and nutrition very seriously, I abstain from anything that alters my mind.....even caffeine.

Like they say..different strokes for different folks.

Alcohol in moderation strengthens the liver. Many articles every year say 2-3 drinks for a man, and 1-2 for a woman a day are actually healthy. They say healthy, not "don't cause any negative side effects."

Alcohol has been such a large part of civilization for thousands of years that people are actually heathier. There was a guy who was going to (I don't know if he did) write a book about how most the most successful people in the world are moderate drinkers. Granted, there are many articles quoted by borderline alcoholics to rationalize their drinking.

Back