Media Drew Dober: Islam Makhachev is not a risk taker like Khabib; kinda plays it safe

Was Khabib really a risk taker? Never tried his hand at 170 and was a bit of a pullout merchant and before his winning the title he won a lot by decision.
still
giphy.gif

The thread's handy to see who has never grappled in their life before.

"Attacking and changing position non-stop is risky? Derp, how?? Conor told me wrestling isn't fighting back when I turned 14 last month"

nice try...he was 11-0 at WW
That makes it even worse, it shows ww was his natural weightclass but he would rather kill himself to make weight in the big leagues than risk fighting someone his own size.

Drew is also saying his guard is trash?

khabib took no risk at all and successfully ducked ww. he was a weight bully in a division full of strikers
and FW leftovers.

Khabib never started taking risks until his last few fights.

I feel like Khabib became more aggresive after the Thibau fight and when he went to AKA, but i might be wrong. Islam definetly plays it more safe, godd example would be the Ramos fight. As long as you are the better fighter that is the smart thing to do and will win you fights more consistently and without much damage. It can become a problem once you face better opposition tho. Playing it safe against an equally skilled opponent might get you behind on the score cards. Will be interesting to see how Islam manages his offense when he fights a Top 10 or Top 5 fighter.

Not sure where "risk-taker" and "Khabib" meet...
<23>

The thread's handy to see who has never grappled in their life before.

"Attacking and changing position non-stop is risky? Derp, how?? Conor told me wrestling isn't fighting back when I turned 14 last month"
Also handy to see people who called GSP lay and pray vs yet praise Islam as some risk taking savant

GSP is boring lnp vs top 5 fighters Islam is future goat look how active he is against guys outside the top 15 derp

khabib took no risk at all and successfully ducked ww. he was a weight bully in a division full of strikers
and FW leftovers.

If you can make the weight and fight well, you’re in the right weight category. On the other hand, you have guys like Whitaker, Thiago Silva, Jan, Dustin, Till, who tried being the bigger fighters in a lower weight divisions but it didn’t work for them. So I don’t put much stock into the “weight bully” theory. By your logic, one is a weight bully only if successful. What about those guys I just mentioned? You can either make the weight or can’t and you’re either better than your opponents or you are not.

Also handy to see people who called GSP lay and pray vs yet praise Islam as some risk taking savant

GSP is boring lnp vs top 5 fighters Islam is future goat look how active he is against guys outside the top 15 derp
Nobody is calling him a risk taker. The general consensus in the thread is that he (compared to Khabib) plays the safer positions and attacks less. You seem to be addressing non existent claims.

GSP and Islam have similar mentalities on when to go for a finish which is good for Islam. Its a style that carries well at high levels

<23>
Willingly abandoning high control positions for high offensive positions.Willingly risking his neck to secure takedowns. Prioritizing positions where he could gnp over positions he can pin. Attacking submissions even from any position.

Risk taking in this context is having an offensive finishing mindset. Khabib is always on the attack. Islam focuses on control primarily

<23>
Obv not in the way that stupid slug fest fans would describe it.
But his grappling was very aggressiive. Constantly going for offense, giving up "safe" positions for more aggressive ones, diving into guillotines to secure TDs, always pressuring, going for subs instead of pinning.
This is the type of aggression that people who train see, certainly no bum rush. But not much people are confident enough to grapple this way from the top instead of lay and pray.

Obv not in the way that stupid slug fest fans would describe it.
But his grappling was very aggressiive. Constantly going for offense, giving up "safe" positions for more aggressive ones, diving into guillotines to secure TDs, always pressuring, going for subs instead of pinning.
This is the type of aggression that people who train see, certainly no bum rush. But not much people are confident enough to grapple this way from the top instead of lay and pray.
But in grappling, he was never in any danger.
<{vega}>

Khabib's better, so he can take risks and still dominate. Letting the GnP go and the impact of it is a difference between them. Islam fights more for position, has to. Khabib gets it right away, ties up the legs and postures up.

Back