Media Drew Dober: Islam Makhachev is not a risk taker like Khabib; kinda plays it safe

Khabib has the better chin but I think Islam is more technical

he takes less risks because he has to ... one shot and he’s out of title contention... whereas khabib can afford to take more risks with his round head
This is correct. Both Josh Thomson and Javier have said that Islam is the more technical grappler and fighter overall. He might not have Khabib's chin, but he has skill and technique on his side.

This is correct. Both Josh Thomson and Javier have said that Islam is the more technical grappler and fighter overall. He might not have Khabib's chin, but he has skill and technique on his side.
I remember Abdulmanap saying Khabib was more aggressive and better in very specific positions. Islam is definitely more refined and has benefited from following Khabib on his way up.

Yup! I can see Islam Makachev becoming champ if he can develop a jab and use his wrestling ala gsp.... that way he doesn’t get touched by big punches and can set up his takedowns easily ... but like gsp, i can see him easily getting caught with one punch so he has to be careful or he won’t be able to become a champ or have a long reign

Yup! I can see Islam Makachev becoming champ if he can develop a jab and use his wrestling ala gsp.... that way he doesn’t get touched by big punches and can set up his takedowns easily ... but like gsp, i can see him easily getting caught with one punch so he has to be careful or he won’t be able to become a champ or have a long reign
Islam already has a solid jab and fights very defensively on the feet, taking almost no damage in his fights and having IIRC the best statistical striking defense in the UFC. He'll do great as long he keeps fighting this way.

Islam already has a solid jab and fights very defensively on the feet, taking almost no damage in his fights and having IIRC the best statistical striking defense in the UFC. He'll do great as long he keeps fighting this way.

tbh i haven’t watched a full fight just from the tidbits i picked up from watching clips...

interesting... didnt know he had a solid jab... so ya definitely if he continues to improve and maintain those attributes i think he has a good shot at getting the belt

Well, it's really more of a compliment to Khabib than anything else.
I don't think there's a real diss here, just an obversation by Dober. He was very complimentary of his skills and I think he said he learned about dagestani grapplers and just pointed out what he though the difference was between the too. iirc, I don't think the question was asked about the difference, just something he thought he'd mention.

He out struck the best boxer in the lighter divisions... Mcgregor.
to be fair, most of the strikes landed while conor was on the ground. I think conor outstrike him on the feet in the third.

However, he stood with gaethje and was working him.

khabib is a risk tasker in the sense that he is willing to mix it up and test his striking ... but in terms of his legacy and moving up he has taken zero risk

Last edited:
I think Charles will be champion as long as he can stay away from Islam. I think they are the top 2 fighters in the division with Dustin being a close 3rd

I like Drew Dober but he’s just lost two really big fights in a row.

He doesn’t have the stuff to make it in the elite portions of the division.

Islam does and ironically he just beat Dober

I like Drew Dober but he’s just lost two really big fights in a row.

He doesn’t have the stuff to make it in the elite portions of the division.

Islam does and ironically he just beat Dober
Kinda shooting the messenger here. What's wrong with his assessment? Islam could have mauled him and still win decisively, but he elected to sit in guard. He's not wrong. Islam not wrong to do what he did, but he's not wrong in assessement.

Even islam said in his post fight, he took it easy, which I'm sure drove dana nuts if the 30 percent comment by usman made him mad.

Kinda shooting the messenger here. What's wrong with his assessment? Islam could have mauled him and still win decisively, but he elected to sit in guard. He's not wrong. Islam not wrong to do what he did, but he's not wrong in assessement.

Even islam said in his post fight, he took it easy, which I'm sure drove dana nuts if the 30 percent comment by usman made him mad.

and yet he still submitted and finished Dober.

Just out of curiosity why should Islam take unneeded risks? He still finished Dober and didn’t put himself in a position where a lesser fighter, like Dober, got over on a much more skilled fighter, Islam.

and yet he still submitted and finished Dober.

Just out of curiosity why should Islam take unneeded risks? He still finished Dober and didn’t put himself in a position where a lesser fighter, like Dober, got over on a much more skilled fighter, Islam.
Again, what's wrong with his assessment? You didn't answer that question.

I already said in the parent posting, that I see where Islam would not want to take unnecessary damage. But is Dober wrong? Just because he finished dober, doesn't mean what Dober is saying doesn't have validity to it. That's called a genetic fallacy.

the guy himself said he took it easy.

Again, what's wrong with his assessment? You didn't answer that question.

I already said in the parent posting, that I see where Islam would not want to take unnecessary damage. But is Dober wrong? Just because he finished dober, doesn't mean what Dober is saying doesn't have validity to it. That's called a genetic fallacy.

the guy himself said he took it easy.

I literally just answered it.

Back