DrBdan Presents: Operation Bench Press (2013)

Actually I mentioned the deadlift challenge to a couple of my friends and they thought it sounded like a cool idea. I'm not sure if they would come and participate but they were at least interested in watching me deadlift while they eat ribs :)

lol! My friend owns a gym in town and he would put it on, but I am just not sure if there HAS to be an organization like OPA or something involved. I emailed them offering them the space but people would have to join OPA to participate... If I don't have to have an org involved, then anyone can sign up. I think a three man team with the total weights of competitors going into a wilks formula or something to decide the winner!

I don't think there has to be an organization involved unless you want the lifts to be official. It would probably be better if it's un-official since the $70 OPA membership fee would probably turn off a lot of people.

For sure.
I would love to run all three lifts but that would be a huge deal for the first year. I think the deadlift is the easiest to run. less equipment the better!

If I approach all the gyms in town I could muster up a pretty sizeable group to compete.

I think making it a team comp might entice people to join, but it could also limit my numbers. I will have to pool my audience!

For sure.
I would love to run all three lifts but that would be a huge deal for the first year. I think the deadlift is the easiest to run. less equipment the better!

If I approach all the gyms in town I could muster up a pretty sizeable group to compete.

I think making it a team comp might entice people to join, but it could also limit my numbers. I will have to pool my audience!

Starting small seems like a good idea, maybe add bench next year. Let me know if it comes together and I'll see if I can make it out.

Digging the log, enjoy the details you put in.

Thanks Kiwi.

Mon Feb 4, 2013

sleep: 6 hours (1:15am - 7:15am)

C2 rower, dynamic stretching, DCSW

- Bench
45x10
75x6
95x4
115x2
135x2
155x1
170x8 (+2 reps, add 2 lb)
172x6 (new 6RM)
150x3
150x3
150x3

Last two reps of 172 were starting to get a bit slow.

- Chins
5 max effort sets: 10/7/4/4/3. The initial set of 10 is my best so far but overall it's 2 fewer total reps than last week. Not that surprisingly since I didn't get enough sleep last night.

Tues Feb 5, 2013

sleep: 7 hours (12:30-7:30)

Muay Thai

I completely lost track of time and missed about half of the warm-up. I did about 5 minutes of skipping myself and then joined the last 10 minutes.

combo:
- jab, cross, hook, double right kick, teep
- above plus step in and right leg kick
- above plus right uppercut elbow, left elbow, right uppercut elbow, switch leg kick

The focus today was on stepping into the leg kick and putting your momentum and bodyweight into it. I've done this a lot so I'm pretty good at it :) For the switch leg kick the idea is that after the elbows you are too close to kick so you kinda hop your left leg back while swinging your right leg out for the kick. It's a combo of switching your stance and kicking at the same time.

Mini-burnout:
- 4 punches, leg kick, 4 punches, double right kick (2 minutes)

After this we practiced parrying punches and throwing a counter knee. I like this, it works well because I have long legs. I'll have to remember to try it when I start sparring again.

Burnout
- 10 mountain climbers, 10 clinch knees
- 20 punches, 1 body cross, 2 burpees
- 10 right speed kicks, teep, 10 left speed kicks, teep

Each round was 2 minutes. Stretching to finish. I was a bit tired today but missing part of the warm-up helped (slacker!!). I kept a moderate pace the entire class and tried to keep my work rate up but didn't use too much power. Felt pretty good.

Didn't do anything yesterday except go out for fish'n'chips and then hit up a local brewery called Granite Brewery. I had two pints of their Keefe's Irish Stout which was excellent. My friends tried a few different beers and they were only okay. The stout was quite good though and it's available in growlers so I might go back and buy one.

Right now I think having Wednesday as a rest/light day is a good thing. If my sleep and diet isn't that great through the week I often feel rundown by Friday when I train Sun-Fri. I'm hoping that over the next few months I'll be more consistent with Muay Thai so I'll adapt to the workload and Wednesday can be a light or moderate day of bag work on my lunch.

Also, check out this sweet picture from my office's Xmas party:
538357_10152520402975371_443448563_n.jpg

It's been about two months since that picture was taken and I haven't cut my hair but I trimmed my beard so the total quantity of hair is probably about even right now.

Looking forward to seeing your next hair PR.

Is that a kid beside you or are you a giant?

Yay! I seem to have been granted the ability to check out people's logs again.

So what is the plan for bench? I see you are still doing APRE (good....). Are you doing it twice a week? Assistance?

I came to the conclusion that it was probably my shoulders that were holding my bench back. But I am not really doing any serious lifting at the moment and my shoulder is kind of tender, especially since my minor motorbike accident and probably wouldn't like heavy shoulder stuff. So I am unable to do anything with this insight.

Sexy sonofabitch.

:redface:

Looking forward to seeing your next hair PR.

It's pretty long now and since I'm getting back into Muay Thai now it's a bit annoying, especially for sparring. I'll make sure to take a picture before I cut it.

Is that a kid beside you or are you a giant?

It's actually a umm... little person? Whatever the PC word is for midget. He's a really smart guy, he just happens to be about 3 feet tall.

Yay! I seem to have been granted the ability to check out people's logs again.

So what is the plan for bench? I see you are still doing APRE (good....). Are you doing it twice a week? Assistance?

I came to the conclusion that it was probably my shoulders that were holding my bench back. But I am not really doing any serious lifting at the moment and my shoulder is kind of tender, especially since my minor motorbike accident and probably wouldn't like heavy shoulder stuff. So I am unable to do anything with this insight.

Yep I am still using APRE. Right now I'm doing the 6RM. On Monday I do the two AMRAP sets followed by 3x3 using roughly 90% of my 6RM. Then on Friday I do 3 sets of 6 with the same 90%. I'm not doing any press assistance and for my upper back I'm sorta doing the Armstrong pull-up program. I say sorta because it's supposed to be done 5 days/week but so far I haven't managed to do all 5. Today was the first time I did chins after Muay Thai and they definitely suffered.

Overall I like APRE so far. If I can continue progressing my 6RM until mid-March that would put me around a 225 max which would be awesome.

Thurs Feb 7, 2013

Muay Thai

The usual warm-up, lots of abs.

combo:
- jab, jab, cross, step in and double left shovel hook to the body
- above plus left hook to the head, right uppercut elbow

Worked this for a while and then did a 3 minute round with 2 push-ups between every combo.

After that both partners put on shin guards and we practiced checking kicks. Went through checking low and mid kicks and leaning back to avoid high kicks. Next we practiced simply blocking straight punches. After that we put it all together and one partner would 4 strikes and the other defended and vice-versa.

Next we practiced using a teep to interrupt a strike. Finally we practiced faking a round kick and when they raise their leg to check using your own shin to push their leg and spin them.

After that one partner put on shin guards, belly pad, and thai pads. And did

- jab, cross, check right kick, double left kick, jab, cross, check left kick, double right kick, teep

The focus of this last drill was on maintaining a solid base and your balance when transitioning from attacking to defending. A lot of people were stepping in for the jab/cross and leaving their feet too wide so they couldn't check. This used to be a problem for me but Ajahn drilled it out of me. I would step in and leave too much weight on my front leg so my checks would be slow and guys would smash my front thigh.

Burnout was one 5 minute round of:
- 1 jab/cross, 1 right knee, 1 left knee, 1 right kick, 1 left kick, then 2 of each, 3 of each etc, finished with 1 minute of machine gun punches. Stretching to finish.

Felt pretty good today though I started to get hungry toward the end of class which is never good. I'm a bit low on food and need to go grocery shopping. I need to look at the gym's schedule and figure out which days I can spar. Enough of only doing pad work, time to get punched! Actually right now there are a lot of newer guys that are just getting into sparring so it's a good time to get back into it.

EDIT: Forgot to log my chins. I tried to do 3 sets of regular, 3 sets of close-grip, 3 sets of wide grip overhand, 5 reps/set. Got 5/5/5, 5/3/3, 3/2/2 which is actually fewer reps than when I was doing sets of 4. MT obviously affected this.

Also, when we did the first combo with the jabs and all the left hooks by the end it felt like my hooks were in slow motion because my left shoulder was getting really tired. I'm also thinking of adding some planks to my lifting days because during the warm-up my abs were weak and I've also found that my core feels really fatigued by the end of class.

Last edited:
Bdan, I will have to post a pic of my hair down sometime so you and I can have a hair face off. You win on the beard though.

nice. im trying to up my bench as well. hoping to get +20 by 2014

Lol. Oh. I don't know what's the PC term either.

Back