DrBdan Presents: Operation Bench Press (2013)

What I need is more video of my benching actually. I'll probably rewatch So You Think You Can Bench and get some video on Thursday.

Thurs Jan 17, 2013

C2 rower, dynamic stretching

- Squats
45x8
95x5
135x3
160x2
185x1
215x3
245x3
275x3

It took me a while to get some energy going but 275x3 was easy.

- Bench
45x10
75x6
105x4
125x2
145x6
145x6
145x6

- Armstrong Chins: Week 2, Day 3
sets of 4, made all 9 sets.

I've been busy this week so I wasn't able to train the last two days thus I wasn't able to do my chins. I decided to do day 3 today to see if I could do all 9 sets of 4, which I was able to. I won't be able to train tomorrow either.

My training has been sporadic lately since my personal life has been really busy. I finally got 3 days of good sleep in a row (Fri, Sat, Sun nights) so I feel pretty good today. I'll probably miss a day or two of training this week but by next week things should have settled down. At least I'm getting my benching in!

Sun Jan 20, 2013

Hockey
Exciting game last night, not much scoring but a bunch of penalties and a couple ejections. We were 1-1 against this team going into the game and both games were decided by one goal. They were both chippy games so we expected more of the same.

This team likes to do a lot of hooking and slashing as well as throwing picks like in basketball. The refs didn't call much in the first period and we started getting frustrated and took a few penalties. In the second period things started to get more heated and one of our guys got ejected for taking 3 penalties.

In terms of goals, they scored early in the first period and held on to the 1-0 lead until the middle of the second when we scored 2 quick goals to take the lead. In the third period things continued to get out of hand and eventually two guys started going at it. The guy on their team actually tried to headlock our player and dragged him to the ice. They both got ejected and continued to yell at each other from the side of the ice. Ridiculous. We scored a late goal to make it 3-1 and that was it.

I didn't get any points but I had a solid game. I had some good chances and played well defensively. With about 1 minute left I carried the puck into their end and played keep-away behind their net to kill the rest of the time. One of their guys tried to take a run at me but I got out of the way just in time. The worst thing about these guys isn't that they were chippy but rather that they would complain every time someone retaliated.

Tues Jan 22, 2013

C2 rower, dynamic stretching, DCSW

- Bench
45x10
75x6
105x4
125x2
145x2
165x8 (+2 reps, add 2.5 lb)
167x6 (new 6RM)
145x3
145x3
145x3

I was working in with another guy so my warm-up had longer breaks than usual. I didn't feel that great for 165 but it wasn't too bad. Good bar speed for the first 6 reps. I felt good for 167 and it was solid. 167 was my 6RM when I switchd to 3RM back in November so everything is progress from here on out. Booyah.

- Armstrong Chins, Day 2
Chin ladder: got up to 6th set, failed on rep 3 of 7th set. Final set was 5 reps.

Last edited:
Thurs Jan 24, 2013

Muay Thai

I was late so I missed part of the warm-up but the class ran for an extra half hour so that made up for it.

Combo:
- left kick, left kick, right teep

Pretty simple but it took a while for my left kicks to feel natural. I felt pretty rusty and starting with switch kicks didn't help. Eventually we added a jumping teep to the combo. We then did 3 minute round of the combo plus 10 punches, 10 right kicks.

After this both partners put on gloves and we practiced blocking, catching, and parrying punches. We also practiced parrying a cross with our left hand and then grabbing their glove with our right hand and pulling/turning them.

After that we put Thai pads and a belly pad back on. We practiced bullying our partner around throwing right knee, right elbow, left knee, right elbow over and over. The padholder was supposed to hold their ground so you had to push them back if you needed space or step in and knee if you were too far away. After we practiced parrying their hand if they tried to push us back/throw a straight punch and throwing a knee back under their arm.

Burnout:
- jab, cross, body cross, left hook, right knee
- hook/cross x5, jab/cross x5
- 5 right kicks, left teep, 5 left kicks, right teep

Each round was done tabata style i.e. 20 seconds on, 10 seconds off x8. Quick stretch to finish.

My abs and hips are sore today which is typical for my first time back after a bit of time off.

Fri Jan 25, 2013

- Squats
45x8
95x5
135x3
175x2
205x1
230x5
260x3
290x1

Solid.

- Bench
45x10
75x6
95x4
115x2
135x2
150x6
150x6
150x6

These weren't hard but I had trouble keeping my back tight enough.

- Chins
9 sets of 4: 3 regular, 3 close-grip, 3 wide grip overhand

Sun Jan 27, 2013

Hockey
Fast paced game tonight. We were definitely lagging a bit in the 3rd period but we held on for a 4-4 tie. The first place team lost so while we gained a point on them a win would have meant we were tied and we win the tie-breaker (least PIM).

My line had a decent game but we were held off the scoresheet. In the first period we couldn't seem to get on the same page and missed a lot of passes. We got better as the game went on but slowed down in the third. My legs were burning for pretty much the entire period.

I'm hoping that getting back into Muay Thai regularly will help my conditioning. Usually it's pretty good but tonight was a fast-paced game and I was lagging late in the game. Hopefully I'll be ready to go for the playoffs.

Mon Jan 28, 2013

- Bench
45x10
45x8
75x6
95x4
115x2
135x2
155x1
170x6 (new 6RM)
170x6
150x3
150x3
150x3

Today was supposed to be 167 but I forgot my ankle weights so I jumped straight to 170. I got both sets of 6 so I'll use 170 as my new 6RM.

- Chins
5 max effort sets: 9/8/5/5/3

I did some of these on the power rack so I use a slightly wider than shoulder width almost neutral grip (hands pronated slightly). I feel like since these took my biceps out of the movement it actually helped me do a few more reps. Hard to say really. Last two sets I did on a smith machine so someone else could use the power rack.

Tues Jan 29, 2013

Muay Thai

Warm-up was the usual, lots of jumping jacks and my calves were really burning. They are quite sore today.

Thai pads & belly pad:
- jab, cross, uppercut, cross

We then added defence and a counter to the above combo:
- parry jab, cross, hook, knee
- check right kick, double left kick, body cross, hook, knee

We practiced both defences/combos for a while and then did a 3 minute round where your partner would throw a jab or right kick after the initial combo and you had to properly defend and return fire. In between combos you did 5 jab/cross. After this this we did 1 minute of speed kicks. When one leg got tired you teeped and then switched legs.

Next we practiced kick defense.

- check low kick, lean back for high kick, two double kicks
- check low kick, inside low kick to disrupt high kick

For the inside low kick we step out to our right and leaned over a bit, protecting your face with our left shoulder while kicking the inside of their thigh or calf.

Burnout
- burpee, jab/cross, right kick, left kick. Done as a ladder except for the burpee (4 minutes)

We finished with 1 minute of speed kicks same as earlier in the class. Stretching to finish.

I felt shitty during the warm-up but once I got warmed up on the pads I felt pretty good. My shoulders are still the first thing to go. Stupid shoulders.

Wed Jan 30, 2013

- Deadlifts
45x10
135x5
135x5
185x3
225x2
275x1
315x1
365x1x6 (singles)

These felt heavier than they should have but were clean reps.

- Chins
9 sets of 4: 3 regular, 3 close-grip, 3 wide grip overhand. Made all sets.

Thurs Jan 31, 2013

Muay Thai

The usual warm-up. Lots of sprints today.

Combo:
- jab, jab, body cross, hook, double right kick

Pretty straight-forward, the one wrinkle was the timing. The jabs were at a casual pace but then you quickly dropped down for the body cross and the back up for the hook, pause for a beat and then two quick kicks.

We then added 2 defenses to the end of the combo.

- Block right hook, by stepping in and grabbing clinch, two knees, turn, two knees
- Shift weight back to avoid kick, two right kicks

We practiced the defense for a bit and then did a 3 minute round where after the combo our partner would throw a hook or a kick and we had to defend appropriately. 10 punches between combos. Finished with 1 minute of speed kicks.

Next we did some clinch work. We started doing basic pummeling on our knees and then standing. My partner made some comment about clinching being gay which is stupid and annoying. It doesn't help that he is terrible in the clinch and barely tried.

We moved to using a double cross-face to break out of the double neck-tie and pinching their arm between our shoulder and chin and twisting to break out.

I did my best to help my partner learn some stuff. He made pretty much every noob mistake: head down, hips back, elbows out, hands on the bottom of my neck. It was super easy to get double neck-tie on him and pull his head down but I gave him a some tips and by the end he was able to defend himself better.

Finally we did a throw when you are caught in the double neck-tie. Right hand lifts their elbow, left hand reaches around the back of their head and pulls them while your left leg blocks their right shin. My partner kept moving his feet back so I couldn't block them which was annoying. He kept acting like I was doing it wrong so I did it the opposite way (pull with my right hand and block his right leg) which worked like a charm. Honestly this guy was kinda getting on my nerves.

Burnout:
- 10 mountain climbers, jab, cross, hook, knee
- 2 burpees, jab, cross, hook, 2 right kicks, 2 left kicks
- speed kicks until you can't kick, teep, other leg, back and forth

All rounds were 2 minutes. Stretching to finish.

My partner was rather annoying tonight. He worked at a slow pace when holding pads which is saying something since my conditioning is still sub-par. If I kicked with too much power he would complain that it was too hard (he picked shitty beginner Thai pads with minimal padding). As I mentioned he wasn't really paying attention during the clinching and his "gay" comment was stupid and childish. I've never partnered with him before because he's shorter and lighter than me but the class was pretty small so choices were limited. I think I'll avoid him in the future.

Maybe I'm just an asshole, but whenever my partner complains about a position or skill, I try to use it against them as much as possible to hopefully make them realize A) it works B) they suck at it and should improve

Nah I don't think that makes you an asshole, it makes you a good partner. He wasn't very good in the clinch but because he knew the throw was coming he kept stepping and blocking it. It was frustrating because he'd make comments about how he's not resisting much but could totally not resist at all if it would help.

So I pulled him to my right instead of left and look at that... he's not so strong after all.

Fri Feb 1, 2013

- Bench
45x10
75x6
95x4
115x2
135x2
150x6
150x6
150x6

- Chins
10 sets of 4. Since I did 10 sets I'll increase my training sets to 5 next week. Progress!

I felt pretty achy today. The gym was pretty cold so it was hard to get a good sweat going and stay limber. I feel like I need a break so TGIF. I think doing deadlifts on Wed was a bad idea. I should probably make Wednesday a lighter day (maybe light bag work at my MT gym) and just always squat/dead and bench on Friday.

It should also be noted that after benching and doing all the chins my upper body had a massive pump going on. The chicks call me Swolebraham Lincoln.

Sun Feb 3, 2013

Hockey
We didn't know what to expect from this game. The last time we played this team we smashed them 9-4 but since then they have gone 4-0 so we thought maybe we caught them on a bad day last time. We were also missing our top scorer though we did get back one of our other top guys who had missed a few games.

It turned out that we didn't need to worry. We played a great team game and the top guy that we got back had a hat trick. I had 3 points myself (2G, 1A) and my line played really well together. After the game I was thinking that I don't remember making too many defensive plays and I realized it's because my line spent most of our shifts playing in their end.

The other team had some good chances but our goalie played a great game. They started to pick-up some momentum in the third period and scored to make it 5-2 but our goalie made a few big saves and then I scored to make it 6-2 and that killed their momentum.

Lol at a guy taking muay thai and calling the clinch gay. "Just let me bang, bro"

How many points have you got this season?

Ever considered forming a team and traveling for a tournament?

Lol at a guy taking muay thai and calling the clinch gay. "Just let me bang, bro"

How many points have you got this season?

I have 28 points in 19 games. The top scorer on our team has 36 points in 16 games. That makes us sound like superstars but really we're just half-decent players in a low level league.

Ever considered forming a team and traveling for a tournament?

We've talked about it but nothing has happened. If we finish 1st in our division we get to go the league's end of season "SuperSeries" tournament where you play other teams from the same division but different days of the week. It's cheap and only in Brampton so most people should be able to make it.

We've talked about it but nothing has happened. If we finish 1st in our division we get to go the league's end of season "SuperSeries" tournament where you play other teams from the same division but different days of the week. It's cheap and only in Brampton so most people should be able to make it.

Sounds well organized! The league I played in had no playoffs or anything which made it a little boring but less rough as the level of competitiveness was reduced. I miss the good ol' days!

Eventually I want to hold a tournament for Big Brothers and SIsters in brockville.

Speaking of holding events in Brockville. I am trying to get a deadlift competition going during our ribfest in August! I should make it a team challenge and invite you and Toonie!

Back