Drawing them in

Fire, was it you I saw posting something to Sin about something of his you had read on the centerline concept?

I don't remember it but it is possible??? Do you remember anything else about it? At the very least I should be able to say whether it sounds like something I would say.

You can build the draw over several exchanges, it doesn't have to be something that works in every single exchange. Boxing is all about teaching and learning. You're teaching your opponent what you do and you're learning what he does about it. If you back straight up twice, you're probably going to back straight up a third time. So backing up straight until your opponent LEARNS to follow is the time that you use lateral movement with some counter punching.
If you TEACH your opponent that you always throw a double jab, when you go to a 1 - 2 he'll expect a 1-1 because that's what he LEARNED.
See how that works?

If you're always coming forward, your opponent will learn to back up, plain and simple. You need to stand your ground a few times in order to get your opponent to respond. A good way to "inspire" your opponent to come in is with pot shots like the step-in-the-hole jab. When you hit him, he'll feel the need to retaliate... profit.

I'm good at getting guys to come forward, but I'm forced to defend a lot because of it. When they tire out and their hands drop before they swing I just send straights out. They LEARN to keep their hands up... so I advance and throw some offense to shake them up and help them forget. Rinse, repeat.

I like this explanation. You teach your opponent how you will act over several exchanges. Take note of their reactions, and counter them (explained much better above).
There are a number of moves,feints,combos you can do but its the overall strategy (above) that's more important.

I don't remember it but it is possible??? Do you remember anything else about it? At the very least I should be able to say whether it sounds like something I would say.

I thought I did, but for some reason I remember it being someone with a green belt. If it was you that kept mentioning it I was going to ask if you'd be willing to write up a post about your experience and interpretation of the centerline concept and where you go with it, but if it wasn't.... Nevermind. :redface:

I thought I did, but for some reason I remember it being someone with a green belt. If it was you that kept mentioning it I was going to ask if you'd be willing to write up a post about your experience and interpretation of the centerline concept and where you go with it, but if it wasn't.... Nevermind. :redface:

I dont think it was me. However, my view on the centreline is that it can be very beneficial but in different ways. If you take the external angle, you can use your closest arm to block whilst hitting their exposed regions with your far hand. If you take the centerline, you need to use both arms to maintain that control but you get the benefit of opening up their guard for clean shots down the middle.

For my first 10 years of training I had a high wide guard, invite the attacks down the middle, elude them and counter. It worked fine. Then over the next 5 years I took more of a peekaboo type guard, using more laternaly movement and controlling parrys to take control of the outside, punish as I come back at them or turn them further before punishing them. It also worked fine. Over the last few years, I have been training Muay Chaiya where they have a 45 degree centre controlled guard. Now I have more confidence taking the centerline or the outer angle and the options that come from both.

I think it largely depends on the guard you use. If your guard is further in front, then you are protecting your centreline but you are also in a good starting position to wedge your way into your opponents centreline. If you have a wide guard, then you give up your centreline but are in a good starting position to spin/pivot/step off at angles to take the external position.

I know this sounds overly simplistic. Throughout the dynamic dance between you and your opponent, you are most likely threatening one and taking the other or steering your opponent into one type of movement so you can counter appropriately. But thats half the fun. Knowing the strengths and weaknesses of any given position will put you in a better position strategically to make use of it.

You can build the draw over several exchanges, it doesn't have to be something that works in every single exchange. Boxing is all about teaching and learning. You're teaching your opponent what you do and you're learning what he does about it. If you back straight up twice, you're probably going to back straight up a third time. So backing up straight until your opponent LEARNS to follow is the time that you use lateral movement with some counter punching.
If you TEACH your opponent that you always throw a double jab, when you go to a 1 - 2 he'll expect a 1-1 because that's what he LEARNED.
See how that works?

If you're always coming forward, your opponent will learn to back up, plain and simple. You need to stand your ground a few times in order to get your opponent to respond. A good way to "inspire" your opponent to come in is with pot shots like the step-in-the-hole jab. When you hit him, he'll feel the need to retaliate... profit.

I'm good at getting guys to come forward, but I'm forced to defend a lot because of it. When they tire out and their hands drop before they swing I just send straights out. They LEARN to keep their hands up... so I advance and throw some offense to shake them up and help them forget. Rinse, repeat.

Basic ideas for the simple minded. Don't look in the 1st one too much, 2nd one is straightfoward.

Back