Drawing them in

Discussion in 'Standup Technique' started by Redtarget, Jun 1, 2014.

1. Redtarget

Redtarget White Belt

After a long night at the boxing gym the topic of drawing in the opponent came into play. A lot of the amateurs really only knew one way and that is Floyd's pull back. I told them to look up 2 Cubans, rigondeaux and Lara. I told they have a very interesting and different way to lure guys in and then bam.

Being more of a spectator and fan of the sport than fighter I'm trying to help them and myself to learn more about luring guys in, what it takes and other ways?

Is it playing with someone's distance? Leaving openings? What is it? I did A search function on this topic and nothing came up. This could be a very knowledgable thread.

2. fightingrabbit

fightingrabbit Banned Banned

Leaving perceived openings through your stance would be one way.

3. TheFinerDetails

TheFinerDetails Orange Belt

If you lower your front hand, it's usually seen as a "technical flaw". Anticipate a strong jab or a right hand and you can usually get a nice angle from the floor up to his chin then back over the top with your right hand, I use it a lot while my coach is screaming at me to put my hand up. I see his point, but I always like to develop my own skills.

4. giancana

giancana Yellow Belt

throwing lazy jabs and expecting to get countered is also a way

5. aries

aries Silver Belt

Pretty much anything that your opponent thinks he can counter you with or any opening you present that he thinks he can exploit is a potential draw.

Drawing with the jab is very common and fairly safe tactic as many fighters who don't lead will be triggered to fire off of an opponents jab. Working out and predicting what they react with is the key.

Throwing the same combo repeatedly will elicit a counter which can then be countered in return by changing it up with a different combo or a timing alteration.

6. TheFinerDetails

OOO OOOOO, you can draw anyone who like parrying pretty easily. Double your jabs and fake the first. POW right on the kissa

7. killedsirius

killedsirius Blue Belt

Depends on how they parry the jab hand. If they parry with right hand the shouldn't be dropping their hands far from their face.
    But fake off the jab can be an excellent way to land. Especislly if they counter off the jab

8. jensen34

jensen34 Orange Belt

Pretend you're tired and back up.

9. Discipulus

Discipulus Black Belt

A lot of people do over-commit on their parries, though, especially when you get them to expect a HARD jab. They think they really have to slap your fist down, and then when it's not there, insto-presto opening.

10. killedsirius

killedsirius Blue Belt

yeah they do, I've fought a few who overcommit. But it's rare at the better levels,especially if they're parrying back hand, and I feel that as such it's a good way of drawing in only an average to poor fighter, but there are more certain ways of drawing better fighters in. Like feints, faking patters etc. :)

11. apizur**

apizur** Aggressive Finesse.

You can build the draw over several exchanges, it doesn't have to be something that works in every single exchange. Boxing is all about teaching and learning. You're teaching your opponent what you do and you're learning what he does about it. If you back straight up twice, you're probably going to back straight up a third time. So backing up straight until your opponent LEARNS to follow is the time that you use lateral movement with some counter punching.
    If you TEACH your opponent that you always throw a double jab, when you go to a 1 - 2 he'll expect a 1-1 because that's what he LEARNED.
    See how that works?

If you're always coming forward, your opponent will learn to back up, plain and simple. You need to stand your ground a few times in order to get your opponent to respond. A good way to "inspire" your opponent to come in is with pot shots like the step-in-the-hole jab. When you hit him, he'll feel the need to retaliate... profit.

I'm good at getting guys to come forward, but I'm forced to defend a lot because of it. When they tire out and their hands drop before they swing I just send straights out. They LEARN to keep their hands up... so I advance and throw some offense to shake them up and help them forget. Rinse, repeat.

12. Discipulus

Discipulus Black Belt

What's a step-in-the-hole jab? Step forward with a jab, and then return your foot to the original position?

This is a really good post, by the way. Good thinking to keep in mind next time I spar.

13. giancana

giancana Yellow Belt

can somebody here maybe give some tactics/advice on how to draw with footwork?

@ apizur very nice advice

Last edited: Jun 2, 2014
  14. apizur**

Yes.

Thank you, if you notice anything while you try it to build upon it I'd be happy to hear what you find.

15. a guy

a guy Black Belt

His advice has your answer. Retreat, retreat, retreat, pivot/hold your ground and counter.

16. apizur**

In regards to footwork, pay mind to the ropes. An opponent may be more or less likely to charge you based on your and his position in the ring. I think demonstrating this knowledge is what scores "ring generalship" in pro fights.

17. Fire of Youth

Fire of Youth Green Belt

Very wise words :D

A very easy way to draw people in is to give them your center line. Have a wide guard so it looks like they have an open route down the middle. Of course you know that they are likely going to lead down the middle. As they do, parry with one hand and hit with the other. Bam, they move into your punch. Its surprising how many people fall into such a simple and obvious (to me anyway) trap

18. apizur**

Fire, was it you I saw posting something to Sin about something of his you had read on the centerline concept?

19. karnifx

karnifx Yellow Belt

It's fundamentals like this that wins matches. Am looking for an instructional video on footwork now.

20. TheFinerDetails

If they don't attempt to parry, it's pretty much a feint ;).