Dragao Armlock vs Isami Double Weave

Discussion in 'Gear & Equipment Discussion' started by Mala, Jul 21, 2010.

1. Mala

Mala Yellow Belt

I'm 5'10 1/2, 170.

I would say I'm of average athletic build. I have a black Vulkan Pro Light A2 and a Koral MKM A2 that I like. Just minor quibbles with both, but I need another gi for everyday rolling and competition.

Both of these are rated very highly, almost universal praise for both of them.

The biggest concern I have is sleeve length, from emails from both Dragao Kimonos and Chokesports, I have been told that the A2 Dragao Armlock is 62.9 inches (160 cm) from wrist to wrist, while the 5 Isama Sashiko Double Weave is also 62.9 inches wrist to wrist (pre wash, the post wash is estimated to be about 155cm, give or take a cm or two. Also interesting to note is that the 5L, which has a longer skirt by 3 cm, is measured 164cm pre, 158cm post wash. ((The difference being not in the width of the actual 'body' of the kimono but in the sleeves themselves)))

My Vulkan A2s are around 61 inches 1/4 sleeve to sleeve, and they fit well, probably skirting around barely legal for sleeve length. This is probably the max I would want to go, any shorter and it would be slightly uncomfortable.

Other than that, can anyone comment on the actual fit of the gi? I know the sleeve width is wider on the Isami, but that's fine with me. Is one gi more fitted than another, comparing a A2 to a 5(L)?

Aesthetically, I prefer the Isami, but it would come to be more expensive by about 20 or so dollars, which is not a huge issue.

Any thoughts, comments, or remarks would be appreciated.