Dr. Rhadi Ferguson on Ronda Rousey

Discussion in 'UFC Discussion' started by dmtpanic, Aug 12, 2015.

1. dmtpanic

dmtpanic Brown Belt

2. Thanks. It was a great interview

3. craxie

craxie Yellow Belt

Last edited: Aug 12, 2015
  4. BenjaminDuffy

BenjaminDuffy Sansabelt Staff Member Sherdog.com Staff

Or as I like to call him, Dr. Slice. (He's awesome; I wish he had gotten into MMA in his twenties.)

5. HHJ

HHJ Fedor Supremacist

Rhadi tells it like it is,its refreshing,his complete lack of bullshit

6. ArlovskiFang

ArlovskiFang The Retirer

I find this hilarious.

Rhadi actually got a little offended by Ronda's self-delusions.

Sorry Ronda, you aren't some 'chosen one'. You've lost in Judo, and you will lose in MMA eventually. There is always someone better out there.

7. GordaoPreguico

GordaoPreguico Red Belt

Thats how every top of their sport athlete is like not just her.

8. ArlovskiFang

ArlovskiFang The Retirer

No, self belief is one thing.

Ronda's is a special sort of level. Flat out delusion.

Rhadi ragdolled her, had her crying, and after that she was still talking about Cain Velasquez and beating anyone with no rules.

Mighty Mouse is arguably the best p4p fighter on the planet, and you don't hear him saying that kinda of bullshit.

Is Jose Aldo crying after JDS gets the better of him in grappling training? "You aren't supposed to be beat me Junior!" :,(

Last edited: Aug 12, 2015
  9. lsa

lsa Maître d' at The Pussy Lounge

She never talked shit about Cain.
    If you dont understand what she said thats just fine.
    Ronda believes in her self and her potential and refuses to put any limits on her potential.
    I understand that rustles jimmies and make people cry.

She said she believed she could not that she WOULD.
    There is a difference.

10. georgejjr

georgejjr Black Belt

Yup. Cain could slip and break a leg, or come in with a fever of 104, or any number of accidents. Competitors always leave a door open (soldiers too). You never give up, you always look for miracles, fighting the odds.

11. lsa

lsa Maître d' at The Pussy Lounge

And I dont understand why people get so butt hurt over it.
    Its like they take it personal.

12. yetanother

yetanother Black Belt

Jose Aldo has compete in jiu jitsu against top level guys, he more likely has JDS getting annoyed in pure grappling.

13. jackietreehorn8

jackietreehorn8 fine

[​IMG]

14. azzwipe

azzwipe Purple Belt

WTF is wrong with you. She said she could beat Cain. Ridiculous. Stop believing the BS. She can't beat a trained male. She doesn't believe that crap. She looked like a 7 year old rolling with his father against Mousasi. Do you really think she left that sparring session believing she could take Mousasi. If she did, she's dumber than we thought.

15. Byron Pechorin

Byron Pechorin Top Level Human

That's all you got out of this interview?

16. That209

That209 Gold Belt

Dan Quinn's house learning hands of steel
    Him talking about how it probably sucked for her not being able to go out drinking and partying, honestly, it was probably better for her. Instead of out messing around, she was able to work more on her skills and become better. She was able to focus more on that instead of just partying and such.

Obviously her mom pushed her like crazy, too. I'm sure when she was young, she wanted to make her proud and be just like her.

Muhammad Ali apparently used to never go out partying and drinking all the time, he preferred to train and get better, even though he hated training, he still chose to do that instead of going out and having a good time.

I'm still reading this, so I can't comment on much, but IMO, Ronda being that much younger, in a way, it was kind of better for her because she could focus more. For her to be that young and to fuck up people that much older than her.. that's pretty crazy. People compare her to Mike Tyson - well, think of it this way - when Tyson was around 14-15, he was fucking up adults, some who were good enough to go pro, Tyson was knocking them out in the gym when he was that young and embarrassed them out of the gym that night or whatever.

Ronda wasn't the best in women's Judo, but still impressive no matter how you look at it.

17. Uchi Mata

Uchi Mata Preaching the gospel of heel hooks and left kicks

Great interview, most of the points are spot on, though I think he's wrong about Ronda beating Dern in a submission grappling match. Dern actually has a very similar mindset to Ronda, just watch her matches with Gabi Garcia if anyone doubts that.

18. That209

That209 Gold Belt

Dan Quinn's house learning hands of steel
    For all we know Junior is absolutely fucking amazing at BJJ, we just haven't seen it, lol. There's a lot of fighters out there who are great at something but never use it because they're too confident in something else. We see it from a lot of fighters.

I'm sure Aldo is better than Junior in BJJ, but Junior's HUGE size advantage.. I'm sure rolling with Junior is NOT easy for Aldo. That's a SERIOUS strength and size advantage and that really counts.

Back in the old days, we saw Royce beating guys much larger than him but that's because they didn't know a fucking thing on the mat. Today, it's different - Junior is a competent grappler (we just never see it, only defense from him) and him being THAT much larger and being as skilled as he is, the smaller guy is going to go through hell against him, unless they're a fucking wizard like Marcelo Garcia. That guy is just amazing.

19. ilfirin

ilfirin Silver Belt

Great read!

20. Malthian

Malthian Purple Belt

I think Dern beats Rousey as well, but there's enough doubt in my mind that I wouldn't say it's 100% when you factor in athleticism. I do see what he's saying though, Rousey was a special level of athlete with a rare level of training and focus.

And for folks complaining about her near delusional levels of self-confidence, it's very common among anyone who reaches the pinnacles of performance in sports, business or otherwise.

You would have to be near self-delusional to believe that right after Dana said that there would never be women in the UFC that SHE would be the one to change his mind. The same as assuming that you would walk into the sport with minimal MMA training and dominate the sport, or that you could beat women with years upon years of Judo experience and training and compete as well as beat them.

It's the same sort of self-delusion that made Jordan believe that he could become a major league baseball player. Or Kobe believe that he can outrun father time in spite of injury after injury. Or Thomas Edison believe after the 500th light bulb failure that he would still be successful even after another 500 failures.

Hell, you need the same level of self-delusion to think that you're qualified to be the President or that you're qualified to be the CEO of a fortune 500 company.

The main differences is that it's on display for the world (unlike many other professions) and that she's a woman in one of the handful of sports where self-promotion is so integral (boxing, MT, MMA).